+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Not sure what to do...1yo self feeding but stopping at 2 bites

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right area, but I need some help.

DD turned 1 last Monday and since then will only take 2-3 feeds from the spoon I feed her with. I will then put more food on the spoon and hand it to her, she'll take it and put it in her mouth . However, she'll only do this 1-2 times then start playing with it and she stops eating. It's not because she's full, because 10-15mins later, she's hungry again and throws a massive tanty..it's becoming quite troublesome for us, we're first time parents and we don't know what to do. We're wanting her to sleep through and the MCHN says to fill her belly will help. Having said that, she's been night waking since 6 months /cry.

So, I'm just wondering, is this a phase? Will she learn that food is yummy and not a toy? And should I just give her the bowl and spoon to see if she can figure it out...but I do know she'll just throw the bowl and spoon like she does now.

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Solution is - 2 spoons one for her and one for you. Also throw in some big chunks of food that she can easily pick up and feed herself and in between (while she's playing with the food) you shovel in as much as you can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Bunny. I do that but she gets so distracted, she then does not want to eat at all. I hope this is just a phase.

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Putting the spoon in her mouth a few times is not self feeding. You have to persevere. A one year old cannot be expected to self feed. Mine has a go and then stops. He'll take a few spoonfuls from me then he'll arc up and I give him a break. Then we get back to it. Same thing again. Yes, it does take time but we're getting there. Your little one is getting used to her surroundings and that includes food routines.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Caviar View Post
    Putting the spoon in her mouth a few times is not self feeding. You have to persevere. A one year old cannot be expected to self feed. Mine has a go and then stops. He'll take a few spoonfuls from me then he'll arc up and I give him a break. Then we get back to it. Same thing again. Yes, it does take time but we're getting there. Your little one is getting used to her surroundings and that includes food routines.
    Thanks Caviar, when you say your little one arcs up and have a break, mine does the same...almost starts throwing a tanty an gets very moody. Would you suggest letting her play on the floor or something for a little while (10mins or so) then back in the chair for more?

Sent from my GT-I5503T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Does she have finger food?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I would stop spoon feeding and let her feed herself ( finger foods) so she can regulate when and how much she wants to eat - just keep offering or let her sit with you at dinner and pick off your plates , they try and get quite independent at that age !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I agree ^^