+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Private Health Insurance Question

My daughter is 10mnths old and is scheduled to have an operation next month. I rung my health fund (MBF/Bupa) and they told me I will need to pay our $500 hospital excess but a friend has since told me that kids don't pay the excess.
    Does anyone know anything about this? Obviously I will call MBF/Bupa again and ask them, but in the meantime I was hoping someone on here might know?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think your friend is right.

We have been calling around different Private health care companies seeing which one is best for us and all of them have said (and pretty much used it as a selling point) that when it comes to our children there is no excess.

Give them a call, if there still pushing the $500 I would do a little more research into wether or not all companies offer this or there just telling you porkies.

Good luck with the Operation next month.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We were in Bupa today sussing out options & we were told kids have no excess, ever, on anything.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Dd is having an operation in a month. We don't have to pay her excess (children under 5 are excess free) we are with qld country. We were with mbf but found they were the worst to fund anything and just as expensive. All the best with the op etc

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on your level of cover and excess. Until recently we just had basic hospital and a $500 excess and we were all subject to paying the excess. We've just upgraded the cover and now have $250 excess, but no excess payable for children, and after the 12 month waiting period, then there we get 2 'free' excesses a year for adults (with Bupa)

I would give them another call/visit to see if you get a different answer, but they would have it all on the computer in front of them, so if you get a second 'yes you do' then that would be what your level of cover provides

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would check again, on both our covers (MBF then switched to MBP) we haven't had to pay an excess for children

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on the policy you purchased. We have recently bought health insurance and did a lot of shopping around. Some policies all people paid and excess to a limit per year. On other policies kids were excess free.

You need to find what product you purchased, read the terms and conditions and THEN call them up when you have the information in front of you.

We looked at BUPA and for that policy an excess would have applied to all of us (including the children) per admission to a limit.