+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My Positive IVF Experience

I see so many heart breaking stories, so I just thought I would share my journey as it has a happy ending. Hopefully it will help someone having a tough time and give a little hope.

After years of trying and 2 miscarriages, I was ready to start IVF back in 2004. Whilst waiting for af to arrive to start bloods etc, I POAS and got a BFP! Fast forward a few months and DD was born.

We desperately wanted another child and after years of trying unsuccessfully we were referred to a FS with QFG (same clinic as the first one, but different FS).

After a hysteroscopy/lap/dye test I was diagnosed with PCOD & put on Clomid. The FS didn't warn me about any side effects and unfortunately I had many (dizziness, double vision, mood swings etc). Wasn't a huge fan of FS or QFG based on previous experience, so I changed to CFC.

Best decision I made. Instantly I felt like the person I was trusting to help me have a baby, actually really wanted to give me a baby & cared about me. This began the IUI journey, 3 attempts and all BFP's. I needed a break! We went on a huge holiday and just chilled out for a bit. We knew our next step was IVF and I just wasn't sure if I was strong enough.

Then one day, I just knew I had to give it a shot. I started to get myself as healthy as I could. I didn't want to go through life envious of anyone who had a baby & I really didn't want DD to be an only child. I also knew I had to be as strong as possible mentally and physically.

Our IVF journey began and it was hard! I have so much respect for any woman that goes through this. The hormones, the side effects and not to mention the emotional side of things.

Due to OHSS I wasn't having a fresh transfer. I had a total of 33 eggs, 19 were mature enough to fertilize. I still had 14 on day 2, 12 on day 3 & then down to 1 possibly 2 on day 4. On day 5 I had one blasty to freeze, out of 19 eggs! I was devastated, cried uncontrollably for days.

That one little frosty was transferred in April and I am now 13 weeks pregnant. We had already decided that once was enough. FS had told us there was an issue with the DNA structure of DH sperm which is why our embies failed to grow.

I knew that I didn't have enough inner strength to try again, I found the whole experience very difficult. I am so very grateful for all the amazing care I was given by both the clinic and FS.

So, for anyone else who only gets one emby that's all it takes!

My advice is to know your limits, this process sucks and it takes so much determination, time, strength and money. I already had a child, so my situation was a little different to most.

I also knew what I was missing, being a mother is the greatest gift and I truly hope that everyone on here gets their BFP's.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (12-07-2012),kathryn1986  (21-09-2012),Meshell23  (03-07-2012),MrsOC  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much for sharing. Not only was that heart warming and informative but it made me hopeful that it can happen.
    I have been scouring these boards for success stories and I'm not finding many.
    Thank you and all the best!

Thanks
    Reviews
    IVF is tough, I think it's important to know that it can & does work. Best of luck to you, trust your instincts & change your FS if your not happy. That was the best decision I made, I am confident I wouldn't be pregnant now if I had of stayed where I was.

Sending good baby vibes your way, I hope your BFP isn't too far away.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Princesspud for some reason I can't pm you, I replied to your post in the July/August thread I hope you found it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your story.

Me and my dh are starting to think about doing it. I have a 22 mth old DD conceived naturally and have been trying for 12 months with 3 miscarriages in a period of 7 months. It's been awful. I don't know whether it's ridiculous to consider IVF if I've already conceived normally prior and am 29 years old.

Thanks again, this is the first ivf thread I've read since I've been on te forums.