+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default What would you choose??

So I'm in the middle of selling my house. It seems I will be left with a small amount if debt (my share is around $7000). My ex has put forward a suggestion that he will take on all of the debt if I swap cars with him. His car is a couple of years older and a bit smaller. I'm torn at what to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    If the car is still in good condition and would work for you without you having to pay a lot to get it there I would swap cars.
    $7000 is a lot to me so it would be good to get rid of it quickly if you have no aversions to using the other car.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    depends on his car. if its still nice and safe. and cheap enough to run. and not in need of repairs or anything id prob take him up on it. start fresh with a clean slate sorta thing

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd get the other car thoroughly checked over before even thinking about it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to NancyBlackett For This Useful Post:

fairyflossfairy  (03-07-2012)

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    I'd get the other car thoroughly checked over before even thinking about it.
    This ^^^ and if you decide to swap, put it in writing and make it legal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds good to me, particularly if there's nothing wrong with his car. Perhaps it's worth getting someone to look over it for you to make sure you won't have to pay some huge expense on it after you've had it for a few months. Surely it would save a lot of hassle for you both in the long run?

Can you fit kids into the other car fine?

NB. I'm assuming you already know how much the house is making and he's not going to make a profit you know nothing about?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah I know all the figures. I actually still live in the house. His car was actually my car bought brand new in 2006. My car was bought brand new in 2010 so we are the only owners of the cars.

I only have two small issues. Firstly - his car smells like smoke (a habit he only started when we broke up) and it has a lot more kms on it.

Another thought I've had is I could probably sell my car (it's a small 4WD) and almost clear my debt if I bought a brand new smaller car anyway??

Oh I'm so stuck on what to do!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was thinking yep swap cars until I saw your post about it smelling of smoke. I wouldn't be able to handle that. Yuck!

Selling your car and getting a new smaller car sounds like a good option though as long as a smaller car works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I was thinking yep swap cars until I saw your post about it smelling of smoke. I wouldn't be able to handle that. Yuck!

Selling your car and getting a new smaller car sounds like a good option though as long as a smaller car works for you.
    ^ this

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Gross I hate the smell of smoke in cars especially!

I would not trade cars, yes while you wouldn't have a $7000 debt you would have an older car which has done a far few more KM. The option of selling your car to buy a smaller one is a better idea IMO