+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tses View Post
    I am not too worried about the cats suffocating the baby as the bassinet is too high for the cats to jump into it.
    My boy cat can jump from the floor up on to the fridge no worries. Just be careful your kitties can't do the same

I have 2 indoor kitties and a 5 month old DD. No issues here at all As a PP said we put a security screen on DD door so she was protected when we weren't watching. Mind you my cats are terrified of any noise DD makes but better to be safe than sorry. Good luck
    Last edited by Mrs E; 02-07-2012 at 21:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tses View Post
    It would be quite difficult to keep the cats out of our room, as they would meow and scratch the door until we let them in. And not to mention their litter tray and bowls are in our ensuite bathroom.

I am not too worried about the cats suffocating the baby as the bassinet is too high for the cats to jump into it.

Another alternative would be us sleeping in the baby room for the first few weeks?
    I guess you have to weigh up what is more important...The cats comfort or the babies safety?....i honestly wouldnt risk it myself. Cant the cats go in your laundry or something along with their litter tray water and some cat beds? And i wouldnt b so sure that your cats cant jump as high as a basinet id be confident to bet they can jump much higher than that. SIDS org also recommend bubs sleeping in same room as mum and dad for at least 6 months too....All the best

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

Sunshinemoonlight  (02-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    cats jump on beds then would be fine height to get into a bassinette.

no brainer here sorry, baby's safety trumps pets comfort.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Bonkers  (02-07-2012),CharlieBug  (03-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a 3 and 2 year old furballs when my ds was born, both have always slept in my room with me (at the end of the bed)

I had my cot set up well before ds arrived and would smack the cat every time they tried to get in,

I allowed life to continue as normal, i allowed them to look in the cot and basinette but if i found one in there it got a good smack.

One learned very quickly, the other kept trying so i would put her out of the room every.single. time she tried it.

Note - i did this BEFORE my lo was born.

After he was born the stuborn one tried a handful of times but as i knew her behaviour i was very aware and would wake when she entered the room.

Ds sleeps in my room so i am aware of their coming and goings, as a general rule cats do not like to sleep near little babies as they move alot and are unpredictable.

He ended up co-sleeping with me mostly and he, the 2 furbies and i shared the queen bed

I would teach the boundries you want well before bub arrives.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

JWM  (07-07-2012),lones  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We've got quite a few cats (all strictly indoors), 7 of which roam around the house as they please. We had our little man at home and they were with us when he was born . We bed share and also used to put DS into his moses basket for daytime naps - we've never had an issue with the cats wanting to be near him at all, even though he was nice and toasty warm and he was born in winter. We gave them a quick tap any time any of them showed any interest in the moses basket, but to be honest I could count on one hand the number of times they needed that.

From the day he was born we've had the three of us and the cats sleeping in our king size bed and never had an issue. As he got bigger we put him into his cot in his own room for day sleeps and we shut the door then - but only to give him a quieter place to sleep rather than to keep the cats away. He's never shown any signs of allergies and has a fantastic relationship with each of the cats (and the dogs too!) - he's really gentle with them, he's never had a scratch yet and they make him laugh like crazy .

I realise that alot of people won't agree with what we did/do, but it's worked for us and our DS has had no issues and that's the most important thing to us. I think that setting up your cot/bassinette well before you have your little one is a great idea - teach them boundaries then and make any adjustments BEFORE your little one arrives. That way they (hopefully) won't associate any changes they don't like with your baby and it might just help the transition to having a new little person in the house a bit easier

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lones For This Useful Post:

JWM  (07-07-2012),Pen14  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We got a net for over the cot and our cats slept on the bed with us while DS slept in the cot next to us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok I have just put the bassinet in our room. The cats were curious but as soon as I put aluminum foils around it, they r very scared. Now I just hope when baby arrives they will stay away!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We also have two (indoor) cats who sleep at the end of our bed. Both my kids were in my room for 12 months either in a bassinet or portacot next to me or in my bed (most of the time! Lol) I had a self made netting over the babies bassinet or portacot just from some light soft netting material and a bit of elastic. I know my cats would stay way from my babies though, although they were friendly they didn't go near them as babies. When they moved into their own rooms I put a foam door jam thingie on their doors to stop them from closing and hooked a bit of chain from two '3M' stick on hooks, one on the door frame and one on the door so it was ajar but not wide enough for the cats to squeeze through. When my daughter was toilet trained and needed to go to be toilet during the night I just kept her door open without the chain. She's 4 now and sometimes one of our cats sleeps on the end of her bed.
    From what I understand it's actually very very rare for a cat to suffocate a baby however you can understand the idea of a warm baby being welcoming to some cats (one of ours is a real warmth stealer!) and obviously better to put in place some precautions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We also put a screen door on our nursery.. Our babies have both gone straight to sleeping in their cot in their own room though. Both of our cats sleep on our bed, although one now sometimes sleeps with our 2 year old- they are the best of friends!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post

As for allergies to be honest this was never a concern , my house is spotless but of course no matter what there's gonna be car hair in the air , in little corners etc. I think kids will either be allergic to cats or won't be , you can't prevent that if they will have an allergy .
    This ^. We don't have a cat yet my ds is still allergic to them, a lot of it just comes down to genetics, the general school of thought now days is not to avoid exposure to potential allergens unless there is family history to indicate caution.