+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Cats and newborn - could they sleep together in the same room?

Anyone have cats? When you brought your baby home did u keep your baby in the nursery for the first few weeks until their immune system is stronger? Or your cats are allowed to go everywhere in the house.

We live in a 2 bedrooms apartment and have 2 cats for 3 years. The cats always sleep in our room, one on the bed, and one on the floor. Initially I was planning to have baby sleeps in her own room and set up baby monitor. However the midwives recommend baby should sleep in the same room as us, so feeding would be easier especially in winter. I am worried about cat fur and allergy especially the first few weeks when baby is still weak.
    Last edited by Tses; 02-07-2012 at 17:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Noooooooo! Cats have been known to try and lay in the cot with bubs, which could very well be a suffocation risk. I'd be more worried about that than the possibility of allergies.

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (02-07-2012),cluckcluck  (02-07-2012),HugsBunny  (02-07-2012),littleriv  (03-07-2012),ShanandBoc  (02-07-2012),Starfish30  (02-07-2012),Yep  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    Noooooooo! Cats have been known to try and lay in the cot with bubs, which could very well be a suffocation risk. I'd be more worried about that than the possibility of allergies.
    Exactly this ^^^

ETA could you set something up for them to sleep in elsewhere? I would try and teach them that your room is a no go zone. Maybe by using a spray bottle with water whenever they try and enter it. Could be tricky being so used to it though.
    Last edited by brooke88(mum2b09); 02-07-2012 at 16:53.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (02-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes we kept the cat from our room and babies room. Kept the doors always closed and now the cat won't even go in DS room even if the door is open because he knows he will get in trouble.

This stopped the cat hair and the risk of the cat sleeping on the baby

Savingfishfromdrowning is offline If you can't change your fate, change your attitude
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As others have said, absolute no-no! The cat gets into baby's bed to keep warm and can lay over their nose and mouth and smother them. Cats shouldn't be allowed in a room with a sleeping baby of any age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I Always had cats around our newborns and there would have been fur around the house. I let the cat sniff the baby and baby things and they were fine. If your baby is breastfed there will be an extra boost to the immune system. It's important the cats are wormed too etc.

Cats don't try to suffocate baby's. They are attracted to a sleeping baby because they want to cuddle and share warmth. So it's a good idea to keep them away when the little one is sleeping.

Good luck

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

JWM  (07-07-2012),lones  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My cats went anywhere in the house, EXCEPT when dd was asleep. They would snuggle up under my chin against my chest to sleep so I figured that could be dangerous for a baby. Our kitten now sleeps and plays anywhere, but when I have other kids here he will not be allowed in the main areas of the house.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I forgot to add you can get covers for cots to keep cats away. We always co slept with our bubs and just shut the bedroom door at night or whenever baby was sleeping.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

JWM  (07-07-2012),~ElectricPink~  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would be quite difficult to keep the cats out of our room, as they would meow and scratch the door until we let them in. And not to mention their litter tray and bowls are in our ensuite bathroom.

I am not too worried about the cats suffocating the baby as the bassinet is too high for the cats to jump into it.

Another alternative would be us sleeping in the baby room for the first few weeks?

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there :-)

I have two cats that sleep in our bed . So from day one with both kids I put them in the bassinet in their own room and I slept on the floor beside them for a few months until I was comfortable leaving them in their own room ) mind you my bedroom is next door . I also brought a screen door and got it installed on both kids rooms that way the cats couldn't get in but the room wasn't closed off from me .

That way everyone won ! My kittys were not kicked out of what had been their bedroom for 9 years , mu baby was safe from the cats and I was able to just sleep on the floor in the kids rooms until I felt comfortable leaving them .

As for allergies to be honest this was never a concern , my house is spotless but of course no matter what there's gonna be car hair in the air , in little corners etc. I think kids will either be allergic to cats or won't be , you can't prevent that if they will have an allergy .

I find two years on my cats are still terrified of the kids and don't go near them !

Good luck , your fur babies and new baby can all live under one roof in harmony with commen sense and caution !!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

JWM  (07-07-2012)