+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I live in launceston and it is very behind with the times. If you want a future for yourself and your kids I would steer clear. Whilst it is a lovely place with a lot of great people. There isn't much progress happening. If someone tries to bring new jobs/businesses/entertainment here it is squashed by the council.
    We are actually considering moving so out children have a better start in life.
    If you still want to come. There are lots of nice suburbs. Avoid Ravenswood, waverly, rocherlea and mowbray.

Housing is a lot cheaper but power, petrol and food are very high priced.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for shedding some light on Launceston, can i ask where you're thinking of possibly moving to? So would you say that there would be better opportunities for the whole family in Hobart or not in Tas at all?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    No problem. Hobart is a lot better but we are thinking of either leaving the state or saving for awhile longer and leaving the country.

Like I said, launceston is beautiful and I do love it here but my children having a proper future is more important.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by danesy3 View Post
    My husband and I are seriously wanting to move to Hobart from Brisbane with our 2yr old and infant baby this July 2014 (the date we set to do it). To give you all some background info. I've grown up in Brisbane all my life and have travelled quite a bit. My husband is from the UK and has done the same. We both feel that in the last 5 yrs in Brisbane especially with being parents now that we're lacking a community feel and that people here aren't as friendly as could be and that making those quality friendships with nice like minded people to be very difficult. So after doing loads of research after having a gutful of Brisbane (no offence to people in Brisbane) and wanting a better life for our kids, lifestyle for us and make great friends, I found Tasmania to tick all the boxes. So we recently took a trip to Tas where we drove and walked around Launceston and Hobart to try to get the feel of the areas and see where we'd prefer to move to.
    We both didn't feel we had long enough to explore, we loved Launceston but worry about possibly the limited opportunities for us and our little ones growing up there as opposed to being in the capital. We fell in love with Tasmania quite a while ago and this little visit has made that even more so though, as normal we have our concerns.
    My husband's work back ground is in Horticulture (Landscape/Gardener) currently working in Natural areas Landcare here in Brisbane for Council. I'm a Pathology Collector but a stay at home mum for probably 1 more yr with our newest. And have definitely noticed the pay scales to be less, and that there aren't that many jobs available. So if anyone can advise that even though it's less it works out to be enough possibly because of low cost of living/housing?
    Needing is advice/comments on whether or not moving to Tas in general will be a great change for my family. We'd would be moving from the only family we have here in Brisbane (my family) and not know anyone there in Tasmania so we'd be starting completely from scratch. We are selling our house to move into a rental when we find one. And though my husband has been applying for work there from here, if July comes round and he's not yet employed we are still going to move there, as that's our date to do it so to speak. We both think that it would be better to gain employment for him when we're there as perhaps employers are deterred by him still living in Brisbane we're not sure of how it works so any advice with that would be appreciated.
    So if anyone can help us to understand what the areas are like there in both Launceston and Hobart. We'd be needing to rent first so if anyone could please advise on suburbs that are great for a young family, and of those suburbs to definitely avoid. We like being outdoors – beach, parks, playgrounds, markets etc. We've been looking at Bellerive, Geilston Bay, Blackmans Bay, Lindisfarne, Rose Bay, Kingston Beach with great interest. We are more interested in Hobart but not totally opposed to Launceston, if anyone can please shed some light on where you think would be better and i guess why. I thought Hobart would offer better opportunities for our family as a whole but if i'm missing something please let me know.
    We don't mind not being too close to the city but not too far from the city either. Can anyone also please advise on Daycare as it would be good to live close by to some great ones, eventually will send our little ones when they're older to a Catholic primary/high school.
    We both are happy to drive so some distance isn't a huge issue but we'd like to be relatively close to where the city is and for activities and things to do for the little ones. We don't have any issues with the weather yr round. We're really looking forward to it actually i'm so over our scorching summers here.
    Other than that, on a more sensitive issue can anyone please help me out with how easy/hard is it really to make friends there as i've mentioned i'll have none, i have Filipino, Spanish, German and Irish background and my husband is from the UK, I'm mentioning this because as part of my concerns I worry if people there in Tasmania may not be so accepting of bi racial families? I grew up copping quite a lot of racism and fear that for my little ones, I mean no offence by saying this to anyone and i apologise if this has offended anyone I just want this move to be for the better so any info with this would be really helpful. Granted i'm from a different time to my kiddies.
    So so sorry for the really long post! Any info will be really helpful in all aspects of moving to Tas as well. Thank you so much for your time!
    Did you make the big move??
    I've only just joined this forum, and no one has posted in Tassie for TWO years!
    I moved to Hobart from Sydney 2.5 years ago, best move I have made Is there anybody out thar?!??!