+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Babbsys Girl is offline ~ A hug is a great gift - one size fits all, and it's easy to exchange. ~
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Tell me about Hobart

Hubby and I have decided that we want to move to Hobart in about 3 years time.

Right now we are doing a lot of research before we start saving up money and planning.

We aren't looking to buy (at this stage) so we are wondering what are the nice, family friendly suburbs. Preferably close to the water.

Because our DD will be almost ready to start school, what are some good schools. Also is childcare there as expensive as here, hard to get into.. etc.

Any info is muchly appreciated.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you're on Facebook, you might find Hobart Mums Network a good place to get answers

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Babbsys Girl  (06-07-2012),duckduckgoose  (03-03-2014)

Babbsys Girl is offline ~ A hug is a great gift - one size fits all, and it's easy to exchange. ~
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I will have to check it out

Thanks
    Reviews
    cant tell you much about hobart as i live in launceston and im not a frequent visitor but can tell you my experience with child care is that in tassie its heaps cheaper and easier to get into for the most part.

Perhaps look up the tassie forum and chat with some of the hobart mums as there are quite a few.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi

I live in Hobart and can try to answer some of your questions (I didnt grow up here though so there may be other more helpful hubbers out there).

- Childcare: I looked into this recently for DD and for a centre that provides food in the city before any government rebates its $82.10 per day. A few others I called were similar (cheapest being $72). I rang about 5 and found places available at 2 - most places said they get vacancies around Feb as children move on (to school, to a bigger room etc.)
    - Places to live that are by the water: Sandy Bay (closest to town but a mix of quite large houses and then quite old houses - the uni is located here so many students around) has nice parks & blackmans bay if you want to live the city side of Hobart - however places like tranmere, lindisfarne, montagu bay and bellerieve on the eastern shore are also on the water and not that far away from the city (assuming you or DH will be working there). There are many places though with water views that are still within 20-30mins of CBD. If you are renting I guess it depends how much you want to spend per week or how far you are willing to travel to get to school/work etc.
    - I cant help much with schools from a personal point of view (DD is only 15months) however it depends whether you want to go private or public/school close to where you live or one in city/close to workplace.

If you have any specific questions I can try to answer I would be happy to help

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi
    I'm in Hobart too, have lived here all my life. I can't comment on childcare as I don't use it. Most of the places on the Eastern Shore are lovely and close to the water. The suburbs *I* would stay away from on the Eastern Shore are Risdon Vale, Rokeby and Clarendon Vale. On the other side, I wouldn't rent in Chigwell, Bridgewater or Gagebrook. Places like Claremont, etc are really quite far away from everything. Suburbs like Sandy Bay, Kingston and Blackman's Bay are very nice as well.

As for schools, I can't really comment on that either, sorry. Hobart is really very small and it doesn't take long to drive from one end to the other, it is a lovely place to live and a great place to raise a family.

Feel free to ask me anything, I'd be happy to help if I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm going to disagree with DuckDuckGoose on one point, which is staying away from Risdon Vale. I lived there for four years, up until March, and it's actually a nice place to live, particularly if you can get a place close to the school/shops. The primary school is also an incredibly good one, has it's own pool for learn to swim, etc. Only 15 minutes to the closest shopping mall via bus, or 20 mins to the CBD. It's basically a retirement village now, with quite a lot of elderly people who live there and have lived there since the town was just beginning. They have a mothers group, my friend used to run it, not sure if she still does as she's now a teachers aide for the primary school.
    If you were to move here with a family, I would actually suggest Risdon Vale. Cheap rent, based on the reputation it has, it has a little shopping thing, a doctors that bulk bills on health care card and is always taking new patience, and very close to all the other places that you'd need to access.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Ok jennaisme - you probably know better, I'm just going off the "reputation"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Unfortunately, reputations of places are sometimes self fulfilling prophecies. I feel so bad for the elderly who live in Risdon Vale. They're such lovely people who have been there longer than most of us have been alive. There are little bogan sh!ts, who I would cheerfully kick in the knee caps, but they're kind of everywhere in Hobart, so can't escape them no matter what, but for the most part the RV ones are harmless.

I do agree with the Gagebrook/Bridgewater comment though, along with Rokeby. I would steer as far clear of those places as you can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband and I are seriously wanting to move to Hobart from Brisbane with our 2yr old and infant baby this July 2014 (the date we set to do it). To give you all some background info. I've grown up in Brisbane all my life and have travelled quite a bit. My husband is from the UK and has done the same. We both feel that in the last 5 yrs in Brisbane especially with being parents now that we're lacking a community feel and that people here aren't as friendly as could be and that making those quality friendships with nice like minded people to be very difficult. So after doing loads of research after having a gutful of Brisbane (no offence to people in Brisbane) and wanting a better life for our kids, lifestyle for us and make great friends, I found Tasmania to tick all the boxes. So we recently took a trip to Tas where we drove and walked around Launceston and Hobart to try to get the feel of the areas and see where we'd prefer to move to.
    We both didn't feel we had long enough to explore, we loved Launceston but worry about possibly the limited opportunities for us and our little ones growing up there as opposed to being in the capital. We fell in love with Tasmania quite a while ago and this little visit has made that even more so though, as normal we have our concerns.
    My husband's work back ground is in Horticulture (Landscape/Gardener) currently working in Natural areas Landcare here in Brisbane for Council. I'm a Pathology Collector but a stay at home mum for probably 1 more yr with our newest. And have definitely noticed the pay scales to be less, and that there aren't that many jobs available. So if anyone can advise that even though it's less it works out to be enough possibly because of low cost of living/housing?
    Needing is advice/comments on whether or not moving to Tas in general will be a great change for my family. We'd would be moving from the only family we have here in Brisbane (my family) and not know anyone there in Tasmania so we'd be starting completely from scratch. We are selling our house to move into a rental when we find one. And though my husband has been applying for work there from here, if July comes round and he's not yet employed we are still going to move there, as that's our date to do it so to speak. We both think that it would be better to gain employment for him when we're there as perhaps employers are deterred by him still living in Brisbane we're not sure of how it works so any advice with that would be appreciated.
    So if anyone can help us to understand what the areas are like there in both Launceston and Hobart. We'd be needing to rent first so if anyone could please advise on suburbs that are great for a young family, and of those suburbs to definitely avoid. We like being outdoors – beach, parks, playgrounds, markets etc. We've been looking at Bellerive, Geilston Bay, Blackmans Bay, Lindisfarne, Rose Bay, Kingston Beach with great interest. We are more interested in Hobart but not totally opposed to Launceston, if anyone can please shed some light on where you think would be better and i guess why. I thought Hobart would offer better opportunities for our family as a whole but if i'm missing something please let me know.
    We don't mind not being too close to the city but not too far from the city either. Can anyone also please advise on Daycare as it would be good to live close by to some great ones, eventually will send our little ones when they're older to a Catholic primary/high school.
    We both are happy to drive so some distance isn't a huge issue but we'd like to be relatively close to where the city is and for activities and things to do for the little ones. We don't have any issues with the weather yr round. We're really looking forward to it actually i'm so over our scorching summers here.
    Other than that, on a more sensitive issue can anyone please help me out with how easy/hard is it really to make friends there as i've mentioned i'll have none, i have Filipino, Spanish, German and Irish background and my husband is from the UK, I'm mentioning this because as part of my concerns I worry if people there in Tasmania may not be so accepting of bi racial families? I grew up copping quite a lot of racism and fear that for my little ones, I mean no offence by saying this to anyone and i apologise if this has offended anyone I just want this move to be for the better so any info with this would be really helpful. Granted i'm from a different time to my kiddies.
    So so sorry for the really long post! Any info will be really helpful in all aspects of moving to Tas as well. Thank you so much for your time!