+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    I know it's hard not to worry, but try not to. Your child will likely either come good of their own accord, or the speech therapy will help. By the time they go to school, nobody will probably be able to tell the difference.

It's hard, though, when you hear other, even younger, children saying all these words and your child says nothing.

The other thing was that my son really enjoyed the speech therapist. They do fun activities. He was sad when it ended. Although he seems to enjoy clinical settings. He is setting a child psychologist at the moment for social anxiety, and he loves that, as well as any trip to the doctor, lol.
    thanks for this…i have been told good things about speech therapy and i am really hoping that DD benefits from it. I found one that will come to my home, so i hope that helps as well.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    No one took my sons Speech delay seriously until he was about 2.5 and of course now at almost 3 it is considered severe.

I took him to 5 GPs from when he was 18 months and no one thought anything of it.

He was diagnosed on the ASD last week. Not saying that your child is on the ASD, but if you are concerned with speech make sure they get onto it asap!
    thanks Beebs, I was a bit shocked at the lack of interest from any of her doctors, they all kept telling me that there was nothing wrong - they even tried to talk me out of getting her ears checked by an ENT - if i listened to them i never would have found out about her ear issues. Luckily i found a good paed, otherwise who knows where i would be now and feeling even worse that i didnt do something or follow my gut feeling.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Good luck Uly

A positive story from me; ds#1 has a language disorder (so not even a delay where he can catch up. This disorder will always be)

Was not talking at 3-3.5... But with speech therapy and a heck of a lot of work at home he now speaks very well. He still has certain problems related to the disorder and his autism. But if u spoke to him and didnt know he had the language disorder you would think he was fine, maybe a little bit of a stumbler or uses simpler words than u would expect.

Its amazing how far we have come with speech therapy. I have no doubt your loved one will be ok you are doing everything right.
    thanks so much diamond eyes, good to hear positive stories like this. I really am feeling so much better about it all reading this thread - I have much more hope that things will improve and its not the end of the world.

Glad to hear it has all worked out well for your DS - especially that the speech therapy has done so well for him. I hope we have the same result.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gamsarah View Post
    My husband is a speechie (in Brisbane) and suggests the following:

- Better to see a speechie and get an assessment than sit and wonder if something's wrong. Many don't charge for an initial consultation so you can at least talk about what's bothering you

- Make sure you sort out any hearing issues first. If the language input is poor, you can't expect output to magically be better.

- Not all therapy is the same, depending on your speechie's background. Personally, when the targe is language acquisition, as opposed to an issue with how they actually make sounds, approaches like Hanen and DIR are best.

- There is little point worrying how a language delay came about, unless it has ramifications for therapy. It has no bearing on your ability as a parent. The fact you noticed something and then acted in your child's interest is proof positive of how fantastic a parent you are. Parents often feel so guilty about language delays and they shouldn't. Language delays are our bread and butter and in general easily fixed. All you have to do is take the first step .
    Gamsarah, thanks very much for this, i appreciate the info on speech therapy. I will keep all this in mind as we have her first appt in a couple of weeks, I am so looking forward to seeing some results soon - her operation for grommets was our first big step and now the speech therapy…it feels good to be doing something about it. Please thank your husband for his advice as well, i appreciate it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sajimum View Post
    OP, I saw this yesterday but couldn't get to my computer to reply. We were/are in a pretty similar situation to yours, so I thought I would share our story.

DD had grommets put in last year in December when she was about 20mths old. At that time she had 1 word, and hardly babbled due to moderate/severe hearing loss from fluid in her ears. As soon as the grommets were put in I noticed an increase in babbling/random sounds. Unfortunately I can't remember how quickly she started adding words to her vocabulary - But two weeks is pretty soon after your little ones operation - have you noticed changes in language at all? (i.e. extra sounds being attempted, extra babbling)?

Like you, I was very concerned about DD's language delay and had her assessed by a speech pathologist about 6 weeks after her grommets were in. The SP was happy she was heading in the right direction with her language - she was interacting well with us, was interested in books and play, was trying to copy sounds, and was starting to try out new words (though not many, and was hard to understand).

Fast forward about 6 months, and DD continues to improve. She now has well over 200 words in her vocab, and has just started to put 2 words together in a sentence. I think she is still behind though - she can be difficult to understand (which I put down to the fact that she missed out on a lot of practice babbling when younger) and was probably a bit slow in putting words together. I have organised a follow up appt with the speech pathologist next week to assess where she is at and whether she needs further input.

So, although I can't provide you with a happy ending (yet!), I wanted to say that I understand some of the stress you are experiencing as a result of this situation, and I think you are doing the right thing with a SP assessment - it is still early days and there is time for your DD to catch up! Obviously I don't know your DD, but if she is interacting well with you/others and showing interest in things around her then there are plenty of opportunities to help teach language and hopefully she will start the catching up process soon! On the other hand, if the SP feels that more help is needed, you have started the ball rolling on early intervention which can only be a good thing in my mind!

Good luck with your SP assessment, let us know how you go!! (when is your assessment? DD's is next Wed, so will come back and let you know if we have a happy ending yet, or if there is more work to be done!)
    Just thought I would update after DD's speech pathology review last week. Although DD wouldn't talk to the SP (she is very reserved around strangers!!) she did interact and talk to me while we were there so the SP was able to observe her, and also asked me about alot of things. Ultimately, she feels that DD's language is in an "age appropriate range" at the moment . She does want to re-assess at 3years old just to make sure it's still on track given her history of hearing loss/grommets. She also reassured me regarding a number of my concerns. For example, DD's lack of clarity (apparently very normal in 2 year olds, though some speak very clearly), starting to combine two words slightly later than expected (not an issue since she has a good vocabulary and is now combining words), not using certain sounds (e.g. "cat" and "car" are "tat" and "tar" - apparently this substitution is age appropriate and correct sounds may not be used until 3 years old!). She also gave some tips on good joining words, encouraging combining of words and how to encourage DD to talk in social situations. I am feeling so much better after our appointment!!

How did you go at the speech pathologist Ulysses?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh I forgot to add that at a check up last week (DD has been sick with a virus), our GP thinks that one of her grommets may have come loose Not too sure what it all means yet, but have an ENT appointment next week to see what he says. She has had a couple of recent ear infections, so I think he might suggest re-inserting it if it isn't working effectively. Will have to wait and see. I am scared that if it isn't working properly then her hearing is going to be affected again, and in turn her language abilities may be impacted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sajimum, thanks for your post. I felt reassured reading your post, it sounds alot like my situation now that dd has her grommets in. I am really glad to hear you got such a good report from the Speech Pathologist.

Thanks for asking after DD. She is doing so much better now, it started off slow - really slow, then each week she seems to be doing better. The speech therapist was fantastic, she totally put my mind at ease - i was very worried about her having something else wrong, but she told me that she usually gets a feel for that and doesn't think that we have any underlying issues and that it looks like it is just related to the hearing loss. I felt so much relief, but still can't wait until we have a bit more progress. Out of all the professionals i have met with through this journey i really felt the most understood and reassured by the speechie - she gave me some good advice as well. I will be meeting with her every 2 weeks and we have our CATS assessment in September.

I hope everyone's kids are doing well and i want to thank everyone for all their info….i feel alot of hope reading everyones posts.