+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ky is offline <--- Ruby, the most precious little red gem ever!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DS was 2 ½ before he even said Mum or Dad. Within a month of that he was speaking in full sentences and was mistaken for a 7yo by someone in a phone conversation. It was if he was watching and learning until he knew he would have it right and then he just got on with talking!

He does, however, have aspergers.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ky For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ky View Post
    My DS was 2 ½ before he even said Mum or Dad. Within a month of that he was speaking in full sentences and was mistaken for a 7yo by someone in a phone conversation. It was if he was watching and learning until he knew he would have it right and then he just got on with talking!

He does, however, have aspergers.
    Ky, that is awesome that your little guy is speaking so well now. I am feeling more hopeful about my little girl. Thanks

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Replying to subscribe.
    My DS has had severe speech delay and is now in his 2nd year of ST and has improved ENORMOUSLY! He still isn't caught up but is worlds apart from even this time last year. No hearing issues, a couple of ASD indicators but has had 3 paed assessments now and come out fine. Will write more later.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi
    I don't have advice as such because I think u are doin everything right I just wanted to share my story! At 2.5 my ds dad had to go away in the army at the same time ds was transitioning up a class at daycare I was a pregnant working full time in a busy clinic doin a post grad! One day I got a letter sent home from the director basically saying they think my son cannot communicate concentrate sit still they want him tested for ADHD & ASD bcoz they think he needs 1:1 and they can get funding!
    I was shell shocked and horrified I had no DH
    Immediately I explained that he was regressing in behaviour due to his fathers quite abrupt absence! I had done some study in child psychology whilst completing my degree and often big change can delay language!
    Ds at the time could say 10-20 things and a few 2 -3 word sentences he babbled a lot!
    Straight away I had his ears checked he had a perforated r) ear drum at 10 months old from and abcess
    Hearing fine. He had his speech assessed and he had a language delay. He also had assessments with child psychology to access for signs of ASD and ADHD and he doesnt have any of that.
    For the record there is nothing worse that a daycare trying to tell u r DS had ASD or ADHD telling me he needs medication. Incorrect labelling is very damaging! I stuck to my guns but!
    Because as soon as DH returned DS just opened his mouth and started talking and hasent stopped!
    Oh we also changed schools when DH found out he was furious so we moved schools and they love mason they think he is well behaved and very bright and bubbly
    He goes to speech therapy still because it can only make things better but he does need some help with adjectives and verbs
    And he has trouble with above/below inside/outside over /under
    Anyways just wanted to share my story!
    Sorry for mistakes on my phone!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cherry18Bloss For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I know it's hard not to worry, but try not to. Your child will likely either come good of their own accord, or the speech therapy will help. By the time they go to school, nobody will probably be able to tell the difference.

It's hard, though, when you hear other, even younger, children saying all these words and your child says nothing.

The other thing was that my son really enjoyed the speech therapist. They do fun activities. He was sad when it ended. Although he seems to enjoy clinical settings. He is setting a child psychologist at the moment for social anxiety, and he loves that, as well as any trip to the doctor, lol.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    No one took my sons Speech delay seriously until he was about 2.5 and of course now at almost 3 it is considered severe.

I took him to 5 GPs from when he was 18 months and no one thought anything of it.

He was diagnosed on the ASD last week. Not saying that your child is on the ASD, but if you are concerned with speech make sure they get onto it asap!
    Last edited by beebs; 04-07-2012 at 09:49.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good luck Uly

A positive story from me; ds#1 has a language disorder (so not even a delay where he can catch up. This disorder will always be)

Was not talking at 3-3.5... But with speech therapy and a heck of a lot of work at home he now speaks very well. He still has certain problems related to the disorder and his autism. But if u spoke to him and didnt know he had the language disorder you would think he was fine, maybe a little bit of a stumbler or uses simpler words than u would expect.

Its amazing how far we have come with speech therapy. I have no doubt your loved one will be ok you are doing everything right.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband is a speechie (in Brisbane) and suggests the following:

- Better to see a speechie and get an assessment than sit and wonder if something's wrong. Many don't charge for an initial consultation so you can at least talk about what's bothering you

- Make sure you sort out any hearing issues first. If the language input is poor, you can't expect output to magically be better.

- Not all therapy is the same, depending on your speechie's background. Personally, when the targe is language acquisition, as opposed to an issue with how they actually make sounds, approaches like Hanen and DIR are best.

- There is little point worrying how a language delay came about, unless it has ramifications for therapy. It has no bearing on your ability as a parent. The fact you noticed something and then acted in your child's interest is proof positive of how fantastic a parent you are. Parents often feel so guilty about language delays and they shouldn't. Language delays are our bread and butter and in general easily fixed. All you have to do is take the first step .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to gamsarah For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gamsarah View Post
    My husband is a speechie (in Brisbane) and suggests the following:

- Better to see a speechie and get an assessment than sit and wonder if something's wrong. Many don't charge for an initial consultation so you can at least talk about what's bothering you
    Also, if your SP does charge for the initial consultation (ours certainly did), it might be worth investigating if your DD would qualify for an Enhanced Care Plan - I am not sure about all the criteria, but my DD qualified as she had a history of multiple ear infections and grommets. It gives you some rebates for speech therapy (along with other things probably but I haven't looked into it). It certainly made the SP assessment we had more affordable. I just organised it through our GP.

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AllyCat85 View Post
    Hi
    I don't have advice as such because I think u are doin everything right I just wanted to share my story! At 2.5 my ds dad had to go away in the army at the same time ds was transitioning up a class at daycare I was a pregnant working full time in a busy clinic doin a post grad! One day I got a letter sent home from the director basically saying they think my son cannot communicate concentrate sit still they want him tested for ADHD & ASD bcoz they think he needs 1:1 and they can get funding!
    I was shell shocked and horrified I had no DH
    Immediately I explained that he was regressing in behaviour due to his fathers quite abrupt absence! I had done some study in child psychology whilst completing my degree and often big change can delay language!
    Ds at the time could say 10-20 things and a few 2 -3 word sentences he babbled a lot!
    Straight away I had his ears checked he had a perforated r) ear drum at 10 months old from and abcess
    Hearing fine. He had his speech assessed and he had a language delay. He also had assessments with child psychology to access for signs of ASD and ADHD and he doesnt have any of that.
    For the record there is nothing worse that a daycare trying to tell u r DS had ASD or ADHD telling me he needs medication. Incorrect labelling is very damaging! I stuck to my guns but!
    Because as soon as DH returned DS just opened his mouth and started talking and hasent stopped!
    Oh we also changed schools when DH found out he was furious so we moved schools and they love mason they think he is well behaved and very bright and bubbly
    He goes to speech therapy still because it can only make things better but he does need some help with adjectives and verbs
    And he has trouble with above/below inside/outside over /under
    Anyways just wanted to share my story!
    Sorry for mistakes on my phone!
    Allycat, I totally agree with you about the labelling thing - I also feel strongly that they should not be labelled as anything until a full diagnosis is done. Considering is so difficult for professionals to diagnose, I think daycare workers should be a bit more careful about things like that. So glad to hear things have turned out well for your son, I am hoping we have a similar story to tell one day. I just want it to all be alright soon.

Thanks for your story.