+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Delayed Language

DD has just turned two and still only has about 5 words. She had grommets put in a couple of weeks ago and seems to be improving since then, but i can't help but be worried about her language development.

I have had a couple of prelim assessments and I doubt she has Autism - but she definitely has a language delay. Whether or not her hearing issues are the cause I don't know - even though it has only been 2 weeks since her operation for grommets, I was hoping for a faster improvement. Maybe i am expecting too much.

Anyone else with a language delay have an advice or stories about how their children improved and if they caught up with the other kids at some point.

I have a CATS assessment in september just to cover all my bases, and a speech therapist booked for next week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My son only had 5 words at 2, and I had him assessed by a sp, and he had fortnightly sessions for a year, and was reassessed ok at 3.

The sp said about half of kids improve over time, and the other half have an actual delay, but it's hard to pick which one, and you have lost a year if they have an actual issue.

In retrospect, now that my son is almost 4, I think he was just a late talker, but I'm glad I erred on the side of caution.

I also found a big improvement when he moved from family daycare (1:4) to a big group daycare (2:24) at 3.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (02-07-2012)

Ulysses is offline In the eyes of a child you will see...the world as it should be.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MsMummy View Post
    My son only had 5 words at 2, and I had him assessed by a sp, and he had fortnightly sessions for a year, and was reassessed ok at 3.

The sp said about half of kids improve over time, and the other half have an actual delay, but it's hard to pick which one, and you have lost a year if they have an actual issue.

In retrospect, now that my son is almost 4, I think he was just a late talker, but I'm glad I erred on the side of caution.

I also found a big improvement when he moved from family daycare (1:4) to a big group daycare (2:24) at 3.
    thanks so much for taking the time to reply. I feel better knowing someone has been one of that 50% the doctors talk about…it is absolutely nerve wrecking waiting to see what happens. Your story made me feel better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP, I saw this yesterday but couldn't get to my computer to reply. We were/are in a pretty similar situation to yours, so I thought I would share our story.

DD had grommets put in last year in December when she was about 20mths old. At that time she had 1 word, and hardly babbled due to moderate/severe hearing loss from fluid in her ears. As soon as the grommets were put in I noticed an increase in babbling/random sounds. Unfortunately I can't remember how quickly she started adding words to her vocabulary - But two weeks is pretty soon after your little ones operation - have you noticed changes in language at all? (i.e. extra sounds being attempted, extra babbling)?

Like you, I was very concerned about DD's language delay and had her assessed by a speech pathologist about 6 weeks after her grommets were in. The SP was happy she was heading in the right direction with her language - she was interacting well with us, was interested in books and play, was trying to copy sounds, and was starting to try out new words (though not many, and was hard to understand).

Fast forward about 6 months, and DD continues to improve. She now has well over 200 words in her vocab, and has just started to put 2 words together in a sentence. I think she is still behind though - she can be difficult to understand (which I put down to the fact that she missed out on a lot of practice babbling when younger) and was probably a bit slow in putting words together. I have organised a follow up appt with the speech pathologist next week to assess where she is at and whether she needs further input.

So, although I can't provide you with a happy ending (yet!), I wanted to say that I understand some of the stress you are experiencing as a result of this situation, and I think you are doing the right thing with a SP assessment - it is still early days and there is time for your DD to catch up! Obviously I don't know your DD, but if she is interacting well with you/others and showing interest in things around her then there are plenty of opportunities to help teach language and hopefully she will start the catching up process soon! On the other hand, if the SP feels that more help is needed, you have started the ball rolling on early intervention which can only be a good thing in my mind!

Good luck with your SP assessment, let us know how you go!! (when is your assessment? DD's is next Wed, so will come back and let you know if we have a happy ending yet, or if there is more work to be done!)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    sajimum, thank you so much for your reply - i just breathed a sigh of relief as i read your story.

She is definitely babbling alot more and trying alot more with regard to words. I definitely can see an improvement - but wasn't sure if she would just be able to repeat words straight after the op etc, it seems it takes a bit longer for them to get up to speed than i anticipated.

I have her proper assessment in early september. And have organised a speech therapist for two weeks time or so.

Good luck for your assessment next week - please let me know how you go. I'll be sure to report back when we have ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD2 is 2.5years and a month ago had 5 or so words she is now speaking sentances. Dont be to worried some children just take thier time to do things as they are just taking everything in

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AliG For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-07-2012)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any advice or a positive story to share ( YET, I pray in a year from now I do ) but I just wanted to offer massive hugs and say I completely understand how hard the worry is .

My son is 2.5 and has no words AT ALL except mum.

He had an EEG and blood tests done a few weeks ago to rule out any medical issues as he's development seems spot on in all other areas except for expressive language . I am waiting for results .

I do wonder though if he could have a mild case of autism where language delay is the primary symptom along with a couple of other minor quirks , as he doesn't really tick any other boxes re - signs of autism .

Hang in there , the fact that your child needed grommets ( so the reason for the language delay could be medical ) and seems to already be attempting to try words and sounds seems encouraging . But I certainly aren't taking away from your worry , I really do empathise. It's no word of a lie when I say that my sons lack of language is on my mind ALL DAY EVERY DAY. It worries me sick .

I pray for a good outcome for you , just being only two years also , the explosion of words could come before you know it . All the best , keep us updated !! Love kitty xoxo

11. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (03-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by AliG View Post
    My DD2 is 2.5years and a month ago had 5 or so words she is now speaking sentances. Dont be to worried some children just take thier time to do things as they are just taking everything in
    this gives me hope, thank you I hope the same happens for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    I don't have any advice or a positive story to share ( YET, I pray in a year from now I do ) but I just wanted to offer massive hugs and say I completely understand how hard the worry is .

My son is 2.5 and has no words AT ALL except mum.

He had an EEG and blood tests done a few weeks ago to rule out any medical issues as he's development seems spot on in all other areas except for expressive language . I am waiting for results .

I do wonder though if he could have a mild case of autism where language delay is the primary symptom along with a couple of other minor quirks , as he doesn't really tick any other boxes re - signs of autism .

Hang in there , the fact that your child needed grommets ( so the reason for the language delay could be medical ) and seems to already be attempting to try words and sounds seems encouraging . But I certainly aren't taking away from your worry , I really do empathise. It's no word of a lie when I say that my sons lack of language is on my mind ALL DAY EVERY DAY. It worries me sick .

I pray for a good outcome for you , just being only two years also , the explosion of words could come before you know it . All the best , keep us updated !! Love kitty xoxo
    Kitty, thank you so much for this post. It really does make me feel so much better to hear that I am not alone with this problem. I totally relate…I also think about her speech (or lack there of) all day. I used to worry about Autism, now I worry I did something wrong when i was pregnant, or maybe she had some type of damage when my BIL accidentally knocked her head on a beam when he lifted her up in the air…the list goes on. My hope is that she is just one of those 50% of kids with a delay that just catches up and no one knows what happened. I watch other 2 yr olds and wish i could hear my DD say the words I hear them say.

I hope that we both have good results soon, that our little ones suddenly begin to talk. The worry and guilt really is overwhelming.

Thank you so much

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulysses View Post
    Kitty, thank you so much for this post. It really does make me feel so much better to hear that I am not alone with this problem. I totally relate…I also think about her speech (or lack there of) all day. I used to worry about Autism, now I worry I did something wrong when i was pregnant, or maybe she had some type of damage when my BIL accidentally knocked her head on a beam when he lifted her up in the air…the list goes on. My hope is that she is just one of those 50% of kids with a delay that just catches up and no one knows what happened. I watch other 2 yr olds and wish i could hear my DD say the words I hear them say.

I hope that we both have good results soon, that our little ones suddenly begin to talk. The worry and guilt really is overwhelming.

Thank you so much
    Your welcome , my post wasn't much help but it is nice to know you aren't alone .

I know that feeling , all day everyday I analyse everything I do , wondering where I'm going wrong . What have I done to cause it ? What haven't I done to contribute to him not talking ? Did I do something during pregnancy ? The list is endless , the guilt everyday is really horrible . And as for seeing other two year olds talking , well , that just breaks my heart . I fear my son will just NEVER speak .

I hate the waiting and not knowing and wish I had a crystal ball to see the future .

Then the other part of me thinks " how dare I feel so stressed about this , I have a beautiful healthy happy child , I'm being very ungrateful " . I know that's all that should matter and of course at the end if the day it is all that matters but it doesn't stop me worrying about the language issue .

As you can see my mind is a mess so really , I do understand how your feeling . I hope the words just start coming soon for your little one and this delay is solely the grommet issue!

Pm me anytime for a chat :-)

We also see a speech therapist once a fortnight and it's a very casual play on the floor type therapy just while we try to get him to make sounds and she gives me tips on ways to encourage language . We will reassess at 3 what our sessions currently consist of and if will get more structured and intense if need be .

15. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

Ulysses  (04-07-2012)