+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default starting school and expenses...

hi all, our dd is starting school next year, and I am beginning to start looking at a few schools in our area and adding up the price/cost of everything. school fees for the year, levi's, etc and the big one... the uniform... I didn't realise how expensive uniforms where!!! so... my question to you all... how do you decide how many of each item they need? and sizes etc? or what to buy and what not to buy... etc... is there anything that you should buy new? anything that you should second hand if you can??? thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My DD is starting school next year too and I've decided for my own sanity that I'll get a uniform for each day of the week so I don't need to worry too much about mid-week laundry. My sister has just got me a 2nd hand one in really good condition.
    My DD is really little, so I'm getting size 4's and will either keep them for DD2 or sell them when she grows out of them.
    But yeah, it's expensive once you add up uniforms, shoes, winter uniform, bags, etc.
    I'm actually worried about finding school shoes in a small enough size- my DD is only wearing an 8 at the moment...

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the response... im trying to research as much as I can now and start budgeting for it... I am due in sept with our second child... so really want to be on top of things... my daughter is growing so quickly... I think I will be buying her uniform in the size bigger than she is in now and getting my mum to take it up... will also look into getting her uniform second hand too if I can... depending on the quality etc... her school bag and hat will be purchased new though... it is also hard as we have not settled on a school yet... still debating catholic vs state... and we are in the process of looking at moving house too so not sure on the area we will live in/which schools will be in the area...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Make sure she tries the uniform on. Sizing can be weird and our dresses already have a huge hem on them. DD2 (8.5yrs) for example only just grew out of her size 2 skorts and is wearing size 4. She is wearing 6's in the dresses (with a huge hem) and 6 in the winter pants. Each school would be different though depending on their supplier. Her real size is 7-8.

It depends on the colour too as to what you can get away with. My girls summer dress is a white background and it usually looks too dirty to wear again the next day. But the skorts if they haven't spilt anything on it are a dark colour so they can usually wear it again the next day.

Second hand is good if you can get it. Especially jackets as a spare because they will loose them. Our primary school does second hand uniforms for $3 a piece. They also suggest especially for FYOS to have a spare uniform in their school bag and second hand is better for that as you hopefully wont need it and you don't want an expensive uniform sitting in their bag every day anyway. My girls didn't need it for accidents but others did. DD3 did spill her yoghurt all over herself one day though and needed to change.

With the bag some schools have it compulsory while others don't. Ours wasn't compulsory but I bought it for my twins. The second day of school they were lining up after the bell like all the big kids and I put their bags on their backs. I gave DD2 hers first and she actually fell backwards against me and really couldn't handle it. I just didn't realise. She didn't have anything heavy in it either, just her lunch and drink bottle. Luckily I was able to go out and buy them both new bags that day but I left school that morning so upset. I was told that afternoon that poor DD2 fell backwards on the ground like a turtle and the teacher helped her up. So think about the bag if you don't have to buy it.

I suggest 2 hats especially if they have the no hat no play rule. They do loose things a lot and its not fun to have to sit on the seats while the other kids play especially when they have just started and they are trying to make friends.

You need at least 2 uniforms to start with but you could end up needing to wash every day and if she needs a certain uniform for a sports/pe day then you need to make sure she doesn't wear that uniform the day before you need it just in case. When my twins were in infants they didn't have a sports uniform (its only for years 3-6) and they just asked that the girls wear the skorts & polo shirt for that day (which was a different day for each class) rather than the dress.

For my twins I ended up with 1 second hand dress each and 1 second hand skort/polo each and I bought 1 new of both the dress and the skort/polo each. With the jacket I started with 1 new and 1 second hand but grabbed another second hand one each after they managed to loose them. Most of them turned up eventually but there would have been some cold days without jackets if we didn't have the spares.

We have even had jackets stolen before. DD2 had hers stolen we think as it was an older one that they no longer made that small. New size 4 when she started kindergarten still fits her now so looked silly it was so big when she was in Kindergarten. Then DD1 had to take her new jacket off and leave it in her bag to run for cross country towards the start of one year. She came back and it was gone. Turned up the first day of school the following year when the classroom had been cleaned the last week of school the previous year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Personally i buy everything brand new. I have 2 DS's so uniforms will get passed down anyway.
    I buy 3 school shirts from the school then buy the shorts from target/big w or the likes. They are much cheaper then the schools especially if there is a sale on.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    TBH if she starts next year I think you would have missed the boat to get her into private - most private schools have already conducted their interviews for next year!!

If it is a state school I would go at least 3 shirts and 2 pairs of shirts or pants or dresses

If you do get into private they will have a sports uniform and regular uniform - I would get 1 sports and 2 regular

I would buy new esp if you have other children who would use them otherwise you will just end up buying new later on - your DD will be in them 80% of the time you will save money by not buying her casual clothes

You will get the education tax benefit at start if year which will assist with uniforms - $410 for primary children

Thanks
    Reviews
    im wanting her to go to a catholic school (not necessarily a private school) I know it will be hard to get her in as most schools have shut their applications... but in order to get into the local schools we need to be living in the area... and atm we are not. we will moving into the area this week. also as dd has been baptised as a catholic, the catholic church cannot deny her a catholic education.... so im hoping that she will get in somewhere... the school I want to get her into has a few choices for the uniform... and I will make sure that I take her to try them on for sizing just incase... I will hopefully get her at least one of each new, and then the rest secnd hand... but will depend on the pricing...

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    They generally have at least one day a week where they wear sports uniform so I work with 2 sets each of winter (but only the one woolen jumper) and summer and 1 set of sports uniform.

Squeegee is offline Wanting to add a new squeegee to the family
    Thanks
    Reviews
    However many uniforms you choose to buy, hats, bag etc. Label LABEL!

Get yourself some good quality iron on labels for clothing. I suggest at least 2 iron on labels for hats and jackets. Be careful not to only place name label on the existing label as it can be cut off.

Same with lunch boxes - stick on labels are great but you can "technically" peel them off and claim as yours. It takes far more work to rub off black texta. I have taken to putting both sticky labels and black texta.

Teachers are far quicker to return items with clear labelling as there are plenty of opportunities everyday for items like hats and jackets and lunchboxes to go missing or be misplaced.

Remember to breathe and know that you will be able to get everything done....and everything does not have to be done before the end of this term otherwise you miss the back to school specials in January