+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    that sucks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    oh and Dh is in an industry where there employers pick when they get payrises - so he's not due for one for ages...no cpi...
    My employer have put a wage freeze on for 2yrs.

I am not sure if i will get anything that will help make a difference at all. Might have to work more and more just to pay for things.

Sent from my GT-I9000T using BubHub

MrJones&Me is offline sometimes as useless as the 'ueue' in queue
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am scaaaarrreeddd we get zilch. I get a tax cut of bugger all!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tormy View Post
    same - im in the public service and at the top of my increment and only get a payrise through cpi that the govt/unions agree on...they've only recently signed an enterprise agreement - we went without a cpi pay rise for about a yr...twas ridiculous....i've been offered higher levels, but i really dont want the stress either..
    Are you in NSW tormy?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, nm! I just checked. Your conditions are much the same as ours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The tax cuts are lifting the tax free threshold from $6000 to $18000 for this financial year.

They are trying to sell it like it is a great thing (carbon tax) but I don't see anything great about it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheerilee View Post
    The tax cuts are lifting the tax free threshold from $6000 to $18000 for this financial year.

They are trying to sell it like it is a great thing (carbon tax) but I don't see anything great about it!
    Yeah I agree.. Nothing great about it. I guess the tax free threshold is aimed at lower income earners?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezzabee View Post
    Yeah I agree.. Nothing great about it. I guess the tax free threshold is aimed at lower income earners?
    I think I recall someone saying that it was aimed at part time workers. I think once you earn over a certain amount you loose the benefit. Especially if you don't have private health cover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Anybody earning $80k or less per annum will get a tax cut. Their modelling has been that the majority of low to low-middle income households will not be worse off. From what I've read, the Treasury modelling was quite accurate for the GST, so they expect it to be similarly accurate for carbon tax.

There seems to be a lot of fear and myths surrounding it, eg:

- fuel will go up - not for private vehicles, so the average person will not be affected at the pump
    - electricty will jump in price - it will increase, but not all the increase is attributable to the carbon tax - a lot is from infrastructure which would have happened anyway
    - food will go up dramatically - not on the Treasury figures

And it's a good incentive to consume less. We live in Queensland but don't use air conditioning. We just get by. I think people have overly high expectations of what is "essential". And the people on such low incomes who are affected by the relatively small changes to basic goods are being compensated anyway.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Annabella  (01-07-2012),FearlessLeader  (01-07-2012),Lillynix  (02-07-2012),MinkyJ  (01-07-2012),wrena  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love to say what I am really feeling about it all. But I am sure I will be told to just suck it up as on paper our income looks pretty.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PomPoms For This Useful Post:

All smiles  (01-07-2012),Blessedwith3boys  (02-07-2012),Bunny Lover  (01-07-2012),MrJones&Me  (01-07-2012)