+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didn't 'rank' higher than my XDP in our relationship. We chose our son's name together, which meant we lost some good ones because the other didn't agree, but it was a mutual decision. Having said that, I think he knew what names were important to me and was happy to let me create a short list.

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We were so sure that we were having a boy that we didnt thin of girls names. We knew which girls names we hated so just spent 6 months discussing those we didnt mind until we agreed on a potential and when she was born we said, "yes thats the name!"

Re boys names I will pull rank over DP if we get there as the name he wants is his fathers name but for personal reasons (nothing to do with his dad who is a wonderful man. All stuff from when I was 16/17) I will not have that name as a first name. I would let him have it as a second name but not a first name.

DaddyLarge is offline I put on my robe and wizard hat...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm so glad that I married a woman who doesn't think so little of the institution of fatherhood that she'd believe that either parent has "rank" to pull.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DaddyLarge For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (02-07-2012),Lincolns mummy  (02-07-2012),peoniesarepretty  (02-07-2012),RubySunrise  (02-07-2012),smallpotatoes  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DP came up with DS name & it was perfect and suits him so well & has very special meaning to DP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    There has to be two "Yes" votes for any major decision in our relationship.

DH and I vitoed a number of name options suggested by the other until we had one we both liked. I am sure it'll be the same next time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MMelissa For This Useful Post:

DaddyLarge  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes women give birth, sorry but that's what happens. The man can't do it! And to use that in an argument to get what you want is poor form IMO.
    You made the baby together, choose the name together.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to brooke88(mum2b09) For This Useful Post:

RubySunrise  (02-07-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Never pulled rank, but said that if we couldn't agree, I get the ultimate say because the kids are known by their given first name and his surname. I think that's fair.

Three kids in, we have agreed on all their names so far.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 02-07-2012 at 12:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No, and I never would. We jointly decided to have children, me obviously carry them!, we jointly decided their names. (this is MY situation)

I am the suggestor for all names though! ha! And DH will claim that he 'chose' the name, really we agree on a name we like from a list of (mainly) my suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a list on the fridge. You can add whatever name you like, if the other person completely hates it then they scrub it off. So we have about 6 girls names and about 4 boys names that we both equally like. Now with 5 weeks to go its get close to D day, don't know how we will decide which one to go for. I think the list will come to the hospital and we will decide there!

I would never pull rank on my DF, as I wouldn't like him to do it to me. We both need to agree.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't like the term "pulled rank", but I did tell FOB that since he picked DS1's name, I got to pick DS2's.
    Out of all the names he'd suggested, I didn't mind DS1's name, so that's why I agreed to that one. As soon as he was born, and it became him, I loved it

It started out the same with DS2's name, I suggested it, FOB didn't mind it, so we agreed. Now he's decided he really, really doesn't like it...so I'm not sure if we will use that one. I wouldn't want to hate one of my children's names, and I wouldn't want their dad to, either.