+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    The FDC's DS went to,usually had 1 bub between 0-12 months, 1 child from 12-24 months, and then 2-3 kids of ages between 2 and 6.

The rules here in NSW are (not sure if they have changed with the recent daycare changes this June) was for FDC's to have a maximum of 2 kids under the age of 2 and then 3 kids between 2 and 6.

The last FDC my son went to was just the worst ever. Lovely lady but very self absorbed with her own daughter and her other business.
    She had only started a few weeks before I enrolled DS. He was the only boy and the only child between 2 and 4 years old.
    She had NO boy toys whatsoever. She only had the toys her daughter played with like dolls, prams, princess dress up clothes, etc.
    She did eventually go out of her way to buy a small Tonka digger for DS to play with.
    In the end, DS loved playing with the dollies and still does. When she quit her FDC only 2 months after DS started there, DS was heartbroken to not have a dolly to play with. That is why I bought him a few dolls at opshops over the last few months.

So yeah, I used to be a big fan of FDC and stuck with them for 11 months until I finally had to quit as I found having 4 different carers in less than 1 year for a little tot like DS, a bit too much.

ABC has cooperated with me and his Early Childhood Intervention (EIC)workers, in every single way. ABC has been bought over in 2009 and has recently been renamed Goodstart Early Learning Centre.
    Anyway, I had lots of doubts at first. EIC and I weren't sure if DS was ready to go to a big center due to his Sensory Processing Disorder and also because of his delays.
    The staff were so helpful and friendly though. They let DS and I, sit in as often as I wanted so he could get used to having more kids and noise around him.
    For 3 weeks we went there on Tuesdays and Fridays a few hours a day, before I decided he would be fine at the GELC.

As the carer ratio is 1 in 8 in the toddler room (this is the accepted ratio in NSW), Early Childhood Intervention told me that GELC and I could attempt to apply for a private run "inclusion service".
    These are organizations give extra funding to daycare centers to provide children with special needs, like DS, with a 1 on 1 carer a few hours a day.

It was a lot of red tape and paperwork and they had people come in to observe DS once a week for 4 weeks, before they decided he was eligible.
    We finally got approved 3 weeks ago and DS has been doing so well since then. He was already doing well with the normal 1 in 8 ratio, but now with his extra care, he's been socially developing really well.
    Fingers crossed his communication will improve too. Though his delays are significant, so it will take some time for him to catch up, if ever.

So again, our center has done everything they could to accommodate to DS and his needs.
    There are a few other special need kids in care there too and they all have been doing well since starting there.
    There's even a little boy who is severely mentally and physically handicapped and the center has been (and still is) running lots and lots of fundraising events to help his parent to buy a special modified car for him.

I am very very very happy with our big center and have recommended it to every friend I know. He will be going to pre-school and prep there as well.
    If they do not think he is quite ready to start preschool straightaway when he turns 3, they will slowly try to transfer him from the toddler room to preschool, one step at a time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    Luckily DS goes to a large chain of centers and he has sensory processing disorder and developmental delays. He is a super big hand full. He bites, pushes, hits, kicks, ignores instructions etc.
    However, I have found that the staff have a huge amount of patience with him. I always think that if DS doesn't get treated the right way, he would kick up a huge stink whenever I drop him off there.
    Yet I hardly ever get a kiss goodbye these days because he just straightaway runs off to play with the toys and other kids and I simply do not exist for the rest of the day
    DS used to go to family daycare and the last carer would just put him in front of the TV all ay and watch the Wiggles so she could sew her bridal dresses for her other business.
    At this big center he gets to do arts and crafts and other fun creative and imaginative activities. The carers also make photos of the kids throughout the day and they will keep a communication book on special request.
    DS has one and they write down everything he does throughout the day, so that shows to me that they are devoted to taking good care of him.

My sis is a daycare worker and doesn't like kids. She hated the job, but the pay in Europe used to be really good. She really was just in it for the money. Lucky for us she has changed her profession to palliative care nurse because she isn't a social person and doesn't like people in general. So when someone passes away, she doesn't get upset as she doesn't bond with her clients.
    That's sad. I hope if I'Mm ever in pallative care and dying I get a nurse who actually cares or at least shows they care and gives me the time of day. People in that situation need caring, friendly people at that time of their lives. I think your sister needs to stay away from jobs that require caring for people

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Renesme For This Useful Post:

RenovatorMum  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was in childcare for 11 yrs, I started as a trainee and worked my way up to a directors position. My favourite age group was 0-2 yrs but I also enjoyed my 3-5 yr group too.

I have seen some shocking things in my time. One centre I had a director who would stand out the back of the centre near the washing line and have a smoke grrrr. Also a assistant who did not strap a baby into a high chair and he slipped out onto the floor omg it was aweful.

I guess these things do happen. Some people should not work withkids at all. I loved my job so much but after the collapse of ABC i quit as I lost my passion for working with kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I stat care from home next week and the rules are 4 under school age and 3 of school age, with no more than 2 under 2, 1 under 1. I have just a sedan and my dd goes to school so I can only have 2 at a time anyway. Booked in so far are 2 who are 2.5, 1 at 5 months, 1 who is 14 months and 2 who are 4.5 years.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I went to take DS today (he didn't go fri as he was sick and tue is his other day) and he didn't want to stay!! Saying things like "I don't want to go day care, I want to stay home"
    He will be 3 in two months. I return back to work in 6 months.
    I asked him what happened and he said daycare hurt me. And when I asked who, he was pretty much naming everyone (inc kids and carers)
    I'm considering taking him out until next feb when he does daycare/kinder there. He will be 3.5 then.
    I'm so confused! I didn't want to force him to stay!
    He used to run in daycare and say "bye mum" and be happy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    When I worked in a daycare center (9 years ago) there were a few of the girls (I say girls cos they were teenagers) who used to b!tch about some of the children and/or their parents. I found it disgusting. I plan to get back into childcare soon (I am studying cert 3 in a few weeks) and there's no way I'd do that. My son and youngest daugher are in daycare. Even if some of the children are little rat bags (and let's face it, there are some who are that way) I certainly wouldn't treat them any different. I'd hate it if my kids were treated in such a way

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by singa06 View Post
    Well I went to take DS today (he didn't go fri as he was sick and tue is his other day) and he didn't want to stay!! Saying things like "I don't want to go day care, I want to stay home"
    He will be 3 in two months. I return back to work in 6 months.
    I asked him what happened and he said daycare hurt me. And when I asked who, he was pretty much naming everyone (inc kids and carers)
    I'm considering taking him out until next feb when he does daycare/kinder there. He will be 3.5 then.
    I'm so confused! I didn't want to force him to stay!
    He used to run in daycare and say "bye mum" and be happy.
    Everyone hurt him?! Hmmmm thats strange. Yes some kids this age do start to become more dominant toward others (bullies), but surely not every child would hurt just him?
    And all the carers hurt him too? I would think maybe one carer and handful of children might've hurt him (accidentally or on purpose) but not every child and carer. That does not sound right to me.
    Have you spoken to staff about this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He is only 2yrs and 10 months old, so although very verbal, a lot of things are still 'made up' or exaggerated. I took it as in he doesn't like being around them, therefore they 'hurt him'. The director thinks that maybe because the other kids are becoming more vocal and saying 'no, stop' etc when DS pushed etc, my DS doesn't like it (because he is being told off by them). We MIGHT try another day Friday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even though I love my job, I love the kids and even the challenging kids, and my own child went from the time she was 1 when I returned to work, I think it can be tough on them below the Preschool room. I'd put it off if possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think the problem with kids under 3 is their lack of half decent communication skills. That is why DS gets super frustrated when he wants to say something and the other child doesn't understand what he's trying to say.
    Or if DS wants a toy that an other child is holding, he can't just "ask" for it. He just walks up and grabs the toy. The other child doesn't know what is happening and grabs it back, DS then retaliates and bites, hits, kicks, etc.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Boobycino  (04-07-2012)