+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patsmum View Post
    It is also interesting your views on big centres compared to FDC. Many would say it is the other way around- children in FDC have one on one attention and a child in your position would be lost in a larger centre. It all comes down to the management and staff, doesn't it?!
    DS went for a year to FDC and had to change carer 3 times as 1 moved, the other one retired and the other one decided to spend her full time attention on dress making. It was very upsetting for him to change carers 3 times in just 11 months. I needed something more consitant.
    Another problem with FDC is that there aren't a lot of kids of similar age that he could learn and copy from.
    2 Out of the 5 kids were under the age of 2yo. The other were usually arounf the 4 or 5 years old. So some were too young and some were too old to interact with. He is now in a room with all kids that are between 2 and 3 years old. He has copied so much since going there. His speech has gotten much better, his social skills are blooming, etc. Ofcourse he copies the bad thing too, like saying certain swearwords, but you get that. I take the good with the bad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I love my job
    I work in the babies room and love all those little gummy smiles. Some days are more challenging than others but it's all worth it.

The women (and man) I work with are all great people and love what they do

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Misschief View Post
    DS went for a year to FDC and had to change carer 3 times as 1 moved, the other one retired and the other one decided to spend her full time attention on dress making. It was very upsetting for him to change carers 3 times in just 11 months. I needed something more consitant.
    Another problem with FDC is that there aren't a lot of kids of similar age that he could learn and copy from.
    2 Out of the 5 kids were under the age of 2yo. The other were usually arounf the 4 or 5 years old. So some were too young and some were too old to interact with. He is now in a room with all kids that are between 2 and 3 years old. He has copied so much since going there. His speech has gotten much better, his social skills are blooming, etc. Ofcourse he copies the bad thing too, like saying certain swearwords, but you get that. I take the good with the bad
    I worked in a child care centre for 8years, loved my job but it does have it's good days and bad days (as with any job). I worked in council run centre for 6years- which i resigned from due to conditions and a committee run centre for 2-which I resigned from to go on mat leave and start my own business. By far the committee run centre was best as it is run by parents at the centre, which then in turn do the right thing by staff in regards to pay and everything (such a good place to work). Council run centre I found disappointing as they only seemed to care about budget and not conditions etc. I'm now a family day carer and love it even more, you have a small group and I have chosen to take children only around my childs age (14months). The group is fantastic and my families couldn't be happier. Before he new regs came in (Vic) a lot of the carers were not trained/qualified as it wasn't part of the regs, they now have to be. My field officer visits me every few weeks and goes through all paper work and plans so it very hard to be 'lazy' and leave children in front of the tv all day. I will be the first to admit I do put play school on for the kids in the morning and afternoon but they very rarely watch it as we're busy doing other things.
    Last edited by Happymum2; 01-07-2012 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I looked ay fdc myself (to run) and didn't like how the ages have to be staggered. I'd rather have a small group of similar aged children to have to pretty much have 1 child of each age group. I think that would be hard.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subscribing but will be back to write a reply tomorrow.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I looked ay fdc myself (to run) and didn't like how the ages have to be staggered. I'd rather have a small group of similar aged children to have to pretty much have 1 child of each age group. I think that would be hard.

Really? It must be different in different states. The woman I was going to send DS to had 3 other 2-3 year old boys, it would have been perfect (fell through unfortunately)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Really? It must be different in different states. The woman I was going to send DS to had 3 other 2-3 year old boys, it would have been perfect (fell through unfortunately)

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub
    it might be.

but basically when I looked into it you could only have 1 child under 1, 2 under 18 months, 3 under 3 & 5 total (under school aged - then some fdc do before & after school care) and the area I lived in had massive waiting lists for babies so you would pretty much have to take babies to be able to join that local fdc group. so they would want you to have a baby ,a toddler, a 2 -3 year old and a couple of preschoolers. (I thinknow its 4 total though?)

so it also depends on the area. but yeah actually that makes sense you could have 4 x 2-3 year olds but not if the local fdc scheme needed placements for babies because most people in that area wanted babies in fdc and older toddlers/preschoolers in long day/kindy. anyhooooo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love my job too, I have worked in EC for over 16 years (with some time off for babies) and have only ever experienced 1 centre that was questionable. As a Director I also once had to do an investigation on a casual but I was so proud of my permanent staff members for standing up and saying that is not on. I now work with some amazing women who are passionate about quality early education and I get to meet like minded people who are making a difference at centres everyday. Don't let some bad stories tarnish your experience, in my job I have the opportunity to influence care for over 200 children a week and I wouldn't accept any less for them than I would want for my own children.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have worked in some beautiful centres, I have worked in some disgusting centres. When I say that I mean the workers, not how the centre looks. One I worked in as a relief worker had constant fighting amongst staff members to the point of physical fights. Luckily child safety stepped in, it was awful. But most are staffed by people who love the job who have their ups and downs like anyone else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have worked in childcare previously, in a childcare centre here in Oz and as a nanny in London. I loved my job and I know I was good at it. Like others have said, everyone has their "trying" days but you can't ever take it on the kids.

Now, I am on the other side and my son attends childcare 3 days a week. He absolutely LOVES it. He used to go to another centre and we didnt like it as much as his current one. The staff were pretty terrible, not all of them but alarm bells started ringing for me when the 2nd day after he moved in to the toddler room from babies room the qualified girl in the room had a go at me for his behaviour, telling me he was pushing all the kids and refused to sit at the table for activities. At the time he wasn't even 2 and had never pushed anyone before! Luckily there was an incredibly beautiful girl (unqualified) who took me aside after hearing that conversation and told me that yes, he was knocking kids over...From hugging them too much! Um, hello? That's a good thing! And also that she did not expect him to sit at the table on his second day there. She really saved it for me and I only stayed there for as long as we did because of her.

The one he is at now is a Lady Gowrie. The manager who was there when we started had dropped the ball a little but the new manager has just come in and turned the whole centre upside down...in a really REALLY good way. He's so proactive, is always there to talk to and you can tell the staff are happy. I'm not backwards in coming forwards so when he started I voiced a few concerns and he was great, took them on board and acted on them. The staff are all lovely and I know my son feels safe and happy there. I think you have to follow your instinct.