+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Assessment tomorrow

Hi Everyone
    Just need to write out everything thats going on at the moment as i think my partner is sick of hearing it lol

My daughter is 2 years 9 months and tomorrow we have her assessment with the child physcologist and also her assessment with the early intervention centre tomorrow to see if she has autism (we are 98% sure she does). Her daycare, doctor and also when ive been on the phone with the early intervention they agree that it is very very likely she has autism!!
    We were meant to have her assessment with the early intervention 2 weeks ago but it got cancelled because the assessor was sick. When they rang to rebook it they wanted us to wait another 6 weeks for the assessment...
    I chucked a bit of a wobbly and told them the reasons why we think she has autism and they rang back 10 mins later saying they could fit us in tomorrow
    Then they rang back again and said that they had a talk about what i had told them and that the child phychologist was willing to fit us in on the same day while she was in town!!!

This made is all seem so much more real!! that they are pushing things along now they know my daughters symptoms!!

Now im sitting here a ball of nerves!!!

Ill write my list here and you can let me know what you think

* Does not respond to name
    * Does not make eye contact (on good days she will with me or her father but only for very short periods of time)
    * She is speech delayed. At 2 years 9 months only has a vocab of 100 words
    * She cannot communicate across her needs, does not point to what she wants. She will occassionally bring me her bottle or food if she wants it.
    * When she does talk it is mostly repeating after us. Or in gibberish
    * Does not follow instructions 80% of the time
    * Limited range of foods. Will not try new things
    *Will lie on her brother to give him *cuddles*. will not hop off him despite him crying. Its like she does not recognise he is distressed.
    * Prefers to play alone at daycare.
    * Can get very very cranky and upset when you try to pack toys away or try to move her to another activity
    * Loves to flick light switches on and off and watch the lights. Its like it calms her down
    * Lines her books, flash cards, blocks in rows
    * Loves loves loves puzzles. You can give her a new puzzle, she will tip out the pieces pick a piece up and know where it goes!!

Thats all i have written down for now!!
    Feels so much better to write it down!!

A question!!
    Generally how long does it take to get a diagnosis??
    By the way they are pushing it along i think we may get a diagnosis tomorrow

Ill let you know how we go!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hugs hun, I'm sorry I don't have any answers to how long it will take for the diagnosis. I hope it all goes well and you get the answers you need.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck tomorrow. I have only had experience with older children with autism so I can't help. Let us know how you go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi , Im sending you a big hug. My son has high functioning autism and he is 3.5 years old. He was diagnosed at 3. He sounds just like your daughter is when he was 2.5 . A year has made a massive difference honestly , he is responsive , happy and follows most instructions now. we are doing relationship development intervention (RDI) with him and we feel so positive now.
    I wanted to let you know a positive diagnosis does not always mean doom and gloom. You will qualify for $6000 a year for two years to cover alot of the therapy and there are many special schools and playgroups you can get help and support. The lead up to my son being diagnosed was super stressful, when I found out I was sad for a while until I realized I always knew. These kids are still maturing and will take time and they need time without pressure to do stuff we expect from them.

There is alot of help and information out there and I truly Wish you the best.There is hope and I wanted to give you a positive story that a year from now she could be looking you in the eye and engaging and learning. Good luck xxx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It really depends who does the assessment and what kind of protocols they use for the assessment. My son was assessed by a psychologist from the department of aging, disability and home care. The assessment itself was done over a few days. I had a 3 hour interview with her by myself. The next day my son was assessed to see what age he was developmental wise to make sure she had chosen the right tests for him.
    Then 2 days later we had a 1 hour play assessment. The next week she spent 2 hours at his daycare observing him.

It took her 5 weeks to finalize her report. However, according to my pead, it was one of the most thorough reports he had ever seen and said she really did cover every thing.
    We also had an option to go to the Sydney Childrens Hospital and have a 1 day assessment done at a development clinic called Tumbatin. They would have a diagnoses pretty much immediately.
    This would have been a very full on day for DS and it would mean we would have to fly there as well. I didn't think this was an option.

I am very glad we went with the more extensive testing and I was happy for her to take her time to make a report. I know at least know that she hasn't missed anything.

So speeding things up, really isn't always the best way. I would suggest you just go with the flow and let the professionals do what they need to do.

Goodluck hun. Also check out the parents with special needs kids section on BubHub. Lots of us there who can share our stories with you and to try and give you advice or help you answer questions you may have.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In SA (not sure where you are), you get an answer on the same day if the assessment team has all the info available.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply ladies!!!
    Im sitting nervous as all hell!!! wanting to throw up lol
    We have accepted that its autism but it will still be a hard thing to hear when they actually say it!!!
    We see both the early intervention assessment team and the child phycohologist today so hopefully that means we will get a diagnosis today that we can take to our pead in a couple of week to sign off on!!!

Thanks ladies!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    r]Phycologist says she shows characteristics of autism and is going to do the full autism assessment to see where she is developmentally and where on the spectrum she is. At least I have an answer now!! I don't think it has sunk in yet!!
    She is going to make sure the assessment gets done within a couple of weeks so we can get our lead to sign off on it when we have our appointment!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Give yourself time , even if you knew like I did part of you hopes they are going to say that they don't . She is still young and there is so much help out there . My 3.5 year old can be hard work but he is so funny and interesting and an absolute joy to have in our lives. As I said in a previous post , the difference a year has made is amazing ! Good luck and its ok to cry your eyes out. I did for one night and then said he is my same lovely boy , he is happy and I'm not going to spend forever feeling sorry for him because at this stage e doesn't feel sorry for himself , so I decided as much as possible to have fun with him each day and it's been hard but wonderful. I wish you and your daughter all the best xx

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babynomad For This Useful Post:

Misschief  (03-07-2012),patsmum  (03-07-2012)