+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Angry [Vent] Gian, you're an idiot. [Gian Rooney's Comments on Stillnox]

Have been watching Nine's World of Sports this morning (I have a thing for Kenny Sutcliffe which is...not relevant here ) and I am absolutely FURIOUS at Gian Rooney's commentary on Stillnox.

Grant Hackett has apparently made a claim that he was addicted to Stillnox in his long running battle to restore his reputation and excuse his recent appalling behaviour. When asked if athletes should be taking sleeping pills, Gian said words to the following:

- That Stillnox is not addictive.
    - That taking Stillnox is '100% legal'
    - Doctors on the swim team prescribed Stillnox so it was okay.
    - That there were no side effect issues that she knew of.
    - That she never needed to take it as she didn't have sleeping issues.
    - That it was okay for athletes to take it regularly because they needed to maximise their sleep.

I am shocked that she was so flippant about this dangerous drug. I have personally seen people change when taking this drug and I have personally watched someone do things they would not normally do on Stillnox.

And yes, people do get used to taking Stillnox. And other sleeping aids for that matter.

Also, what sort of message are we sending our children when a swimming champion says it's okay to take a sedative or a class A drug? That it's okay to take a drug because it's "100% legal"? Gee, makes me want to get ****ed everyday because alcohol is 100% legal and hey, there are no side effects other than a hangover because everyone drinks right?

Anything taken for sleeping needs to be monitored. It is not something you take with your coffee!! I am just stunned that she was just so casual about it while professing her anger that this issue had been 'blown out of proportion'.

Arrggghhh!I cannot describe my frustration with non educated sports commentators spouting off about issues they know NOTHING about.

Gian, you are officially an IDIOT. Stick to swimming, love.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

jessesgirl  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree,I have heard of people going completely psychotic on that stuff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I have also been on Stilnox and went completely crazy on it. I had a split personality and was doing things that were completely out of character for me. There was other times that I would just cry non stop or think there were things crawling on me.

My DH was so scared what this drugs where doing to me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh gosh I had stillnox once and fell asleep at the table.. Woke up and it was all fuzzy but Aparently at 5am I called a friend and they came over (they were still up as they were at a party all night) I was just sitting at the dining room table asleep when they arrived and my partner answered the door even though he was in bed asleep. They woke me up at the table and I talked for a bit and then passed out randomly and smashed my face on the table.. I don't remember this happening but my bf still doesn't let me live it down haha.. Although its crazy scary that you can do something and not remember.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am sick to death of unqualified people giving dangerous and incorrect information on television. She moves her limbs through water, she is not a Dr, so she shouldn't be saying anything. That's why I don't watch The Project either. And don't think that Ken Sutcliffe comment went unnoticed....

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't have any experience with the drug but it sounds scary! To go on national television and dismiss it as nothing is incredibly irresponsible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Why oh why do they have a commentator talkng about drugs having 'no side effects I know of'?!? They aren't pharmacists. They should stick to sport commentating and if they are asked inappropriate questions about medication, should just reply that if people have questions they should ask their dr or chemist. Simple.

Grrrrr.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Alexander Beetle  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was on stillnox to help with insomnia when I had depression. I was doing things at night, after taking it, and not remembering any of it! Some of it was pretty raunchy, according to my then boyfriend, and stuff i would NEVER NEVER do. Needless to stay I stopped taking it after finding this out.

What I can't believe is that stillnox has this reputation for change in behaviour etc and yet doctors still prescribe it freely

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't agree but sort of know where she's coming from. If its that bad it should be illegal or more tightly controlled. We have a right to assume drugs that are legal and freely prescribed aren't that bad.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Took it after my GP prescribed it to me.

Crazzzzzzy drug, that one. Very scary.

I hallucinated and saw people in our unit.

Our indoor potplabt started moving.

I got up, made potato wedges, ate them, and had no recollection in the morning. My top was covered in sour cream and sweet chili sauce.

I phoned my Mum in the middle of the night. When she answered I asked her why she had phoned me so late. How embarrassing.

Apparently DP and I DTD. I don't remember it but he said it was great and I did stuff I wouldn't normally do.

I think this drug should be taken off the market. I certainly didn't get much sleep on it!!