+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    goodluck

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    Thank you so much to all who have taken to time to reply. I really appreciate the input of those who have been there before, be it band or sleeve.

While I am definitely leaning towards the sleeve at this stage, I'm waiting to see what my surgeon recommends. And I am not making this decision lightly. I have done lots of research and have the full support of my gp. He too thinks the sleeve would be a good option as my weight problem is more to do with hormones and changes to chemicals as a result of certain medications rather than just overrating. Because the sleeve removes the part of the stomach that produces some of these chemicals is why he recommended it for me. And he doesn't just write these referrals willy nilly.

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the track as I won't be having surgery til next year anyway so I may still drop some of you a line :-)

Thanks again.
    I am also in SA and have recently seen a surgeon to get the ball rolling towards wls! Can I ask who you are seeing?
    The reason I ask is because the surgeon I am seeing only does banding and bypass. As much as the sleeve seemed like a great option, he does not do it because he doesn't like throwing away part of the stomach. He has been doing bypass for 15 odd years!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticme View Post
    I am also in SA and have recently seen a surgeon to get the ball rolling towards wls! Can I ask who you are seeing?
    The reason I ask is because the surgeon I am seeing only does banding and bypass. As much as the sleeve seemed like a great option, he does not do it because he doesn't like throwing away part of the stomach. He has been doing bypass for 15 odd years!
    I am seeing Dr Michael France. He has come highly recommended and is very experienced with the sleeve.

I did contact the surgeon you're referring to when I was first looking into who to see but decided against him as I believe he is paid quite well to recommend lap band over other options so I didn't feel confident that he could offer the best option for me in a non biased way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mumof1expecting2 View Post
    I am seeing Dr Michael France. He has come highly recommended and is very experienced with the sleeve.

I did contact the surgeon you're referring to when I was first looking into who to see but decided against him as I believe he is paid quite well to recommend lap band over other options so I didn't feel confident that he could offer the best option for me in a non biased way.
    I didn't feel pushed into lapband at all. I made it clear what I wanted and he was very supportive.
    I am glad you are happy with your choice. You have to choose the right surgeon for you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mysticme View Post
    I didn't feel pushed into lapband at all. I made it clear what I wanted and he was very supportive.
    I am glad you are happy with your choice. You have to choose the right surgeon for you!
    I'm glad you didn't feel pushed into it and I totally agree!! Definitely gotta find the right fit. And coz I'm not looking to have surgery til next year, I've got time to shop around so to speak if my first appointment doesn't seem the right thing. I'd be more than happy to get a second opinion.

Good luck with your surgery. I'd love to know how you go :-)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the sleeve earlier this year. Started out at 117kgs (my heaviest was 121kgs) and am now 81kgs. Best choice I ever made for myself, just don't rush into it. Good luck and I hope it all goes well!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi all

Just wondering how much these procedures cost ? I have no private health insurance.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    My surgeon would not do anyone with phi, so I had to join for 12 mths (waitting period for phi to kick in then 6mths incase of complications.
    For my surgery and all the pre testing (psych, dietition, exerciseology etc) was $6600 which i accessed through my hubby super via APRA.

There are surgeon that do it with out phi.
    Prices varry from dr to dr and state to state,

here a link to a forum on the sleeve if you join (it's free) there is a lot on price and a huge amount of helpful info on the sleeve.
    http://www.gastricsleevesupport.com/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

cluckcluck  (16-07-2012)

StretchmarkBarbie is offline Senior Member
    Winner 2009- Best Username Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Mine was just over $5000, not including dietitians, counseling etc.