+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The only wls that has risks of nutrients not being absorbed is the gastric bypass.

The sleeve does not have that side affect at all (for anyone wondering)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

austmum  (02-07-2012),shinebrite  (02-07-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by louellyn View Post
    I do know people for whom the band failed, as with any surgery there are risks eg the band can and does sometimes erode or slip but the majority of times the band fails because people do not get enough fills or continue to eat nothing but junk -which unfortunately is easy to do as all the typical bad foods like chocolate and crisps slip through the band.
    I just wanted to comment on this part to say that in my experience with the band (and it is what many others have experienced) is that for a lot of my time with the band, I was left with the choice of eating "typical bad foods" or nothing at all. Literally. I could not eat any salads, any vegetables apart from boiled until grey and then pureed (and even then it was rare that I could keep that down), no fresh fruit, no meat apart from sausages occasionally. I was so weak that I couldn't look after my kids or drive myself to the doctor. I started losing my breastmilk to boot. All I wanted was a salad and a piece or chicken, but it was agony to try (even with NO fluid in the band at all) and it would just come back up again.

Honestly, I think the way it works for most people (and I am not saying ALL people) is that you puke up everything you try and eat. To say it fails people because you don't eat properly does not sit right with me. It is the band's fault, not the patient's

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

austmum  (02-07-2012),jennibear  (02-07-2012),Zombie_eyes  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I like the sleeve because it's not reversible. I would hate to go thru all that with the band only to have it out one day and be right back where I started.

Also there isn't malabsorption with the sleeve. That's gastric bypass.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to austmum For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Hi, I only just saw this thread. I had a gastric sleeve back in may 2010, I had lost 88 kilo before i fall pregnant with ds3. I have put on some (8) during the pregnancy and i haven't lost that yet but that might have something to do my bad eating at the moment . I know I can lose it It just hasn't been a priority at the moment.

I am more than happy to answer any question you or anyone else has, have either here or through pm

8. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

TheseBoysMumma  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I am not going to get into a heated debate about band v sleeve, but if you are throwing up and cannot eat healthy food it means the band is too tight.The band is only a weight loss tool not a miracle cure.

OP I wish you luck with whatever option you choose.It is not an easy decision to make,all options come with pros and cons and getting as much info as you can is a good idea

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    but llou - what molly is saying is, it got to the point where she had ALL fluid from the band removed, and yet still for months, could barely keep anything down

(i had seen what it had done to this beautiful woman. losing her hair, skin was a greyish colour, and she could barely function)

you had one experience, she had another. there is no right and wrong. the only wrong is lumping a person in a category of misuse when that simply was not the case. the band in fact did fail her. surgeons have confirmed this, she tried many many times to do whatever it took in order to not get it removed, but was eventually left with no choice.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (02-07-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I just wanted to add that no wls is a mircale cure, They all sleeve, band, balloon etc all are hard work.

OP please do your homework and find the right solution for you. If you need any help finding some sites give me a pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the sleeve in 2010 and ive lost 86 kilos. Different things work for different people. I can only comment on my experience but the maintenance free 'set and forget' ways of the sleeve are why i chose the sleeve. My doc also helped me make this decision. But again, its up to you and your doctor to come to a decision that will work for you. If you wanted to chat about the sleeve just pm me anytime xo

Sent from my GT-I9100 using BubHub
    Last edited by Hopefully Waiting; 02-07-2012 at 13:04.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    but llou - what molly is saying is, it got to the point where she had ALL fluid from the band removed, and yet still for months, could barely keep anything down

(i had seen what it had done to this beautiful woman. losing her hair, skin was a greyish colour, and she could barely function)

you had one experience, she had another. there is no right and wrong. the only wrong is lumping a person in a category of misuse when that simply was not the case. the band in fact did fail her. surgeons have confirmed this, she tried many many times to do whatever it took in order to not get it removed, but was eventually left with no choice.
    Yes the band definitely does fail as I said in my first post, it does erode and it does slip and I know of two people who have had this experience. I also know, from my own personal experience as my weight loss has been extremely slow, that it is often due to the individual not the band.

I am a member of a Lap band group and the weight lost by the majority is amazing, huge figures in a matter of months.

Anyways, I did not post to debate, just to give another perspective on wls options.

Again good luck OP and if you do want more info on the band..good and bad..drop me a line.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much to all who have taken to time to reply. I really appreciate the input of those who have been there before, be it band or sleeve.

While I am definitely leaning towards the sleeve at this stage, I'm waiting to see what my surgeon recommends. And I am not making this decision lightly. I have done lots of research and have the full support of my gp. He too thinks the sleeve would be a good option as my weight problem is more to do with hormones and changes to chemicals as a result of certain medications rather than just overrating. Because the sleeve removes the part of the stomach that produces some of these chemicals is why he recommended it for me. And he doesn't just write these referrals willy nilly.

I'm sure I'll have more questions down the track as I won't be having surgery til next year anyway so I may still drop some of you a line :-)

Thanks again.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to TheseBoysMumma For This Useful Post:

austmum  (02-07-2012)