+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Weight loss surgery

So I have my first appointment with my surgeon in a couple of weeks to discuss my options for weight loss surgery. At this stage, I'm definitely leaning towards the gastric sleeve, but am more than open to what he recommends.

Would love to hear from other hubbers who have had wls, why they went that route, results and just your overall journey in general.

A bit of my background. I was never overweight growing up or as a teenager, was quite skinny actually. But during my late teens and into my early 20's, I became very unwell with depression which led to numerous psychotic episodes and months at a time spent in psych wards highly medicated and having electro convulsive therapy. During this time, a number of the medications I was forced to take (was under a treatment order) made me put on a lot of weight which I have struggled to lose.
    Since then, I have turned my life around, been off medication for nearly 4 years and gone on to have my 2 beautiful boys. But still I struggle with my weight. I don't tend to put on weight, just can't seem to lose it!!
    Even pregnant, I put on less than 5 kg's both times.
    I've been told that the medications I were on completely alter your metabolism, making it very difficult to maintain any weight loss.
    And so I made the decision that surgery was something that I needed to do for myself. I want to feel good about myself again. I'm a different person now than I was when I was sick but my weight is a constant reminder.

Sorry this has been so long!! I look forward to hearing about others journey's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you mind me asking your height and weight?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm 161cm and currently 104kg. This is the first time I've been over the 100kg mark, including when I was pregnant. Have just gone back on hormonal contraception tho (depo injection) so I think that's what tipped me over :-(
    Being short makes me look a whole lot worse too.

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm a failed gastric band patient. My sister is too. I chose the band because it was reversible, but in hindsight, I wish I had had the sleeve.
    I did manage to lose a lot of weight, but have regained it since having the band removed. On many days, I couldn't even tolerate water without pain. I couldn't eat vegetables or salad, and most lean meat and fish. I could eat plenty of cheese and crackers and ice cream
    In short, it is not an option I would recommend.
    All the best
    X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Molly Coddle View Post
    I'm a failed gastric band patient. My sister is too. I chose the band because it was reversible, but in hindsight, I wish I had had the sleeve.
    I did manage to lose a lot of weight, but have regained it since having the band removed. On many days, I couldn't even tolerate water without pain. I couldn't eat vegetables or salad, and most lean meat and fish. I could eat plenty of cheese and crackers and ice cream
    In short, it is not an option I would recommend.
    All the best
    X
    Thanks for sharing :-)
    I have a couple of friends who have had probs with the band, and another friend who has had amazing results with the sleeve so that is definitely my preference.
    Won't be having anything done til early next year tho, when my private health waiting periods are up :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I've had the sleeve, and a few others hubbers have too... I'll PM you.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

austmum  (02-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyMummy View Post
    I've had the sleeve, and a few others hubbers have too... I'll PM you.
    Thanks sassy. I saw your slide show. You look fantastic!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going for the sleeve too in 11 months, after reading up I decided there seem to be to may problems with bands. I am 163cms and 106 kg. It's very scary however I can't wait till its all over and I can just be normal again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have the lap band. It had been a very slow journey for me weight loss wise because I am emotional eater and I did not get the band filled (tightened) as often as I should have in the first 12-18 months.

I have never regretted the operation and as I now get it filled more regularly the weight is coming off fairly easily.

There are some foods that I cannot eat, eg steak and lettuce but otherwise I have not had any problem so long as I eat slowly and take small bites.

Personally the sleeve, whilst appealing due to fast weight loss, was not for me due to the fact that it cannot be reversed and also that over time they are now finding that the sleeve expands and people are putting the weight back on. I like that the band can be tightened or loosened as need be and that there is no real risk of nutrients not being absorbed as I believe can happen with other weight loss surgery methods.

If I was your weight I probably wouldn't have any surgery and just do it myself but I appreciate that this is an easy comment for me to make as I am not living your life.

I do know people for whom the band failed, as with any surgery there are risks eg the band can and does sometimes erode or slip but the majority of times the band fails because people do not get enough fills or continue to eat nothing but junk -which unfortunately is easy to do as all the typical bad foods like chocolate and crisps slip through the band.

If you have any questions about the band I am happy to answer them.
    Last edited by MsTruth; 02-07-2012 at 00:30.