+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Trouble Sleeping!16 month old

Hello,
    needing some help here!
    My DS who is 16 month old almost 17 months is waking up at 4 am wide awake and i cant seem to settle him back to sleep even with a bottle or cuddles.
    He will have a nap about 9:30-10 till about 11:30-12 then sometimes he has a nap about 3 till about 4.
    He normally goes to bed of a night time at 7pm but been trying to put him to bed later so he will sleep longer but nothing is doing the trick!
    im going insane. being woken up by a light bright in your eyes at 4am is never fun! my son sleeps in a cot bed so no wall just a bar to stop him rolling out.
    im just wondering if he is sleeping way to much during the day? or should i try to get him to have 1 sleep?
    My DS use to sleep from 7 till 7 every night since he was 6 weeks old apart from the occasional teething nights which i could easily settle with panadol and bottle but now he has all his teeth except the second molars.
    So i know its not teething. just dunno what to do?
    any advice is greatly appreciated!
    thank you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd cut down to one nap for 2 hours max, maybe start stretching him to 11am (going to be tricky if he wakes at 4) and then aim for 12pm eventually.

DS went through a phase for many months waking at 4am. We limited his day sleep to 2 hours and he started sleeping longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you for your advice. i have been trying to cut down his sleep during the day but he ends up cranky and falling asleep on the couch watching cartoons or in the car after like 5 mins down the road. just need something to hype him up without any sugar lol.
    goin to keep trying though to cut back his hours of sleep. just hate when the routine gets thrown out the window and lack of sleep dont help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would also cut down to one nap of no more than 2 hours. Maybe try doing this gradually later in the morning than usual so he gets used to being awake for longer periods bit by bit. If he can't cope with this then still keep the afternoon sleep for a while but just give him 30 mins cat nap to keep him going until bedtime. Then as he gets older/gets used to it and morning nap moves later towards lunchtime you can try dropping the catnap. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I would also try to slowly cut down to 1 nap.

However, I don't believe there should be a limit on the length of a nap. With DS I have always had "sleep creates sleep". The longer he napped during the day, the better he sleeps at night.
    If you manage to cut back to 1 nap and your DS sleeps for 3 hours in the afternoon and is sleeping well at night, there is no reason to cut that nap to 2 hours maximum IYKWIM.

What time does your son have lunch? Can you try to slowly push his morning nap til straight after lunch? Say for instance, give him lunch at 11am and put him straight to bed afterwards? Then you can always try to slowly push his lunchtime upto whatever time you're used to.
    Giving him lunch might be the stimulation/distraction he needs to stay awake that little bit longer in the morning.