+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default BLW & Breastfeeding / Breast refusal

Hi there,

I'm new to the forum but have learnt a lot already just by reading through some incredibly informative threads. So a big thank you!

Not sure if this should be in the BLW or Breastfeeding section...

My DS is 7 months old and has taken to BLW like a duck to water. He absolutely loves food! We started him on solids at 6 months of age. Two weeks into BLW he dropped from 3 hourly breast feeds to 4 hourly (day and night). I was absolutely fine with this as it was expected. However, the past few days DS has decided to go at least 5 hours during the day between breast feeds (but 4 hourly at night still). I offer many times a day and he will push me away, scratching, pinching and crying. This means he is not having milk before solids as i thought he was supposed to? He does have a cold and stuffy nose atm so maybe this is the cause?

My question is... Is this normal with BLW or should DS still be breastfeeding more frequently during the day? How does this compare to your breastfeeding journey with BLW? I really don't want to wean any time soon and i am concerned my milk supply may decrease. Should i be pumping?

TIA

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How much solids is he having?
    Is he stuffed up from the cold, have you tried unblocking his nose to see if he will feed better (I find feeding in a hotish steamy shower helps).
    If your instincts are telling you he isn't feeding enough he probably isn't, can you try more skin-skin contact? Is he crawling, sorry I didn't quote your post I find they don't feed as much when they first learn to crawl you can try laying on the floor with him and just having you boobies out some more.

The kellymom website is a great resource they have a section on breast refusal which you might find helpful. He might be fussing at the breast because your supply has dropped a bit as long as he is still feeding I would cut back on the food and just offer more opportunities to feed as I said above.

P.S welcome to Bubhub!

headoverfeet is offline The truth will set you free, but first it will **** you off. -Gloria Steinem
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Sorry I forgot to tell you about my journeys! Both my blw babies didn't have much solids until after one. Food before one is just for fun, not a breastfeed replacement.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for the info! I checked out the kellymom website (love that site). DH suggested we stop offering him water in a cup at meals too. What do you think?

He has been crawling for a month, has two teeth and is now practising pulling himself up to his knees. So i guess a lot has been going on this past month.

I carry him in the ergo a lot and we have skin to skin in the mornings and evenings. Actually now i think about it, those are his best feeds of the day and we lay in bed to feed.

He eats three meals a day and i just offer food until he starts throwing it on the floor or hiding it in his lap. It varies each day how much he eats but an idea of the maximum amount would be two strips of chicken, two florets of broccoli, a strip of sweet potato and a couple of chunks of pear. There is obviously some leftovers on the floor when he is done but a lot of it goes in too.

I'll try what you said about more skin to skin (just have to crank up the heater haha) and laying topless on the floor with him crawling around. I'll also try to not offer as much food tomorrow and see if he drinks more. Maybe i am over feeding him with solids? But after reading the BLW book i thought bubs would stop when he had enough. Am i missing something there?

Thanks so much for your tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Thermolicious View Post
    Sorry I forgot to tell you about my journeys! Both my blw babies didn't have much solids until after one. Food before one is just for fun, not a breastfeed replacement.
    Yeah this is what i expected, especially after reading the BLW book and this forum, but that hasn't been our experience so far which has surprised me. He took to food so well and eats very effectively so as to ingest quite an amount of solids. Do you think that is ok and babies are different? Or do you think i should be intervening on the amount offered?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It doesn't sound like too much, the water thing is a good idea just make sure you offer boob straight after DS2 started solids just before his 1st birthday and he didn't have water until he was 14mths just watch bubs poops and wee, you'll know if they aren't getting enough that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummablue View Post
    Yeah this is what i expected, especially after reading the BLW book and this forum, but that hasn't been our experience so far which has surprised me. He took to food so well and eats very effectively so as to ingest quite an amount of solids. Do you think that is ok and babies are different? Or do you think i should be intervening on the amount offered?
    No no it sounds like your doing well, that's the idea behind blw

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ok great thanks for the support and ideas! Yep i always try and offer boob first, then solids. I'll just keep offering and take note of how much he is eating. His poos are solid like that of a one year old and he has constant wet nappies so i'm not concerned on that front. He also has a steady weight gain.

Thanks again for putting my mind at ease. It's all very new to us.