+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Overdue and baby not engaging - help!

Hi ladies, just wondering if any of you have experienced this in your pregnancies:

This is my first pregnancy and I'm 40+5 today. At my last appointment (Thursday) bub's head was still "floating", meaning that the lowest part of her head is still above my pelvis. She has been in a good position otherwise, sitting left occipital anterior. I've been told and read that most first time mum's usually engage at least partially before 40 weeks, whereas second time mum's don't usually engage until they are in labour. I've also read that there is usually a reason why a first time mum doesn't engage after 40 weeks - it's likely that the baby is in an awkward position or the head is too big for the mother's pelvis - correct me if I'm wrong!

I've been booked in for an induction on Thursday next week but am worried that if bub's head has still not dropped into my pelvis the induction will end in an emergency c-section, as I've read that this happens in about 80% of cases where the baby's head is floating and the mother is induced.

What I'd really like to know is a) have any FTMs had bub's head drop and engage after 40 weeks and did you end up having a successful vaginal birth? Did you do anything to get the head to engage? Or b) have any mumma's been induced when not engaged and how did it turn out?

Slightly worried that I'll end up having an emergency c-sect after failed induction when I desperately wanted a natural, spontaneous vaginal birth

Thanks
    Reviews
    My First 2 babies the head didn't engage until I was in labour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi, I thought i'd write in response as I had the exact same questions a few months ago.
    i had the same problem with my bubs and although we knew bubs head was big my Ob wanted to try for a vaginal birth (as did I) my waters were broken and i was induced but after 9hrs of labour I failed to dialate. I ended up having an emergency c-section. I know you wanted to hear about successful Vaginal births in this situation but I wanted to let you know that I had a very positive c-sec experience. I had worked myself up after reading on forums bad experiences but it's really not that bad. Sure, it feels a bit weird and I was a bit sick, but honestly, when you have your beautiful baby in your arms, it won't matter.
    I think if you have really high expectations of a vaginal birth then you can only be disappointed. Try to be open to anything and take it as it comes. You can't control it but you can enjoy it!
    good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes! I was induced with my first bub when he had not yet engaged and had a successful vaginal birth.

I was induced at 40+11 with my DS - his head was still floating and he didn't look like coming out any time soon. I was having regular scans to monitor growth, amniotic fluid levels etc and all was fine. My Ob was really trying to enourage an elective C-section because he felt an induction was likely to end up that way anyway and due to small risk of cord prolapse if head isn't engaged when labour starts. But I was insistent and really wanted to try for a natural birth (although did read up on emergency C-section so I would be prepared if things went that way).

Anyway, had gel inserted about 9am in the morning (my preference was the gel as I'd read this can start a more natural type labour compare to synto drip). Within a few hours I was feeling period pain like aching in my back and then contractions slowly started building up. By 6pm I was having proper contactions and was about 4cm dilated and DS was FINALLY engaged!! Was offered, but refused, pethadine. Was moved to delivery at 8pm and my waters were broken. Things sped up from there and DS was born at 10.30pm via vaginal delivery with gas for pain relief. I did have an episiotomy and forceps but these were related to other factors (midwives not letting me push until my OB arrived over an hour after I was first ready to push and hence exhausted and not pushing effectively). But DS was definitely not too big for me to deliver - he was only 6pd4oz with average sized head so size wasn't a factor.

My 2nd baby (DD1) and 3rd baby (DD2 - born 4 days ago!) both engaged before labour so for me the theory that first babies are more likely to engage than subsequent didn't hold true either.

And just an edit to add that as soon as I could tell the gel was working and I was no longer being monitored I did what I could to keep gently moving/walking or doing pelvic rocking while sitting to help keep things going - don't know if it made a difference or not but figured it had to be better than laying around and that maybe gravity together with the contractions would help DS 's head finally engage.
    Last edited by Cat13; 30-06-2012 at 18:59.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is slightly uncommon for the head to still be mobile with your first Baby at this satge but that doesn't mean it won't descend at all and you won't have an svd. Instead of a chair/couch grab a Swiss ball and bounce/sit to promote the head to descend. Also leaning forward helps too. With your induction try to remain as active and upright as possible, and stairs, lots of stairs. Just don't trip! Good luck !

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had this with my third (hatched a couple of weeks ago) baby boy. I was 40+9 and my midwife was going to break my waters the next day, however She was concerned that the cord might go in front of his head resulting in an emergency c-section. We. Discussed other possibilities and it was agreed that we would use the gels first to try and get my contractions going and after a few good contractions this should bring bubs down into the cervix. Thankfully it worked and I had a beautiful 4 hour water birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With my first baby I was 40 weeks and 12 days. Head never engaged. Induced 3 nights labour 12 hours, head was engaged during labour. At a stage c section was going to be performed because I was not dilating as fast as they liked and I was having fever and baby's heart beat was too fast but by the time they are ready to perform c section I was ready to push! So successful Vaginal birth.