+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Boobycino View Post
    I say yeah that's the idea! I'm hoping to put a cheap basic phone in jaspers school bag from day 1 so he can always call me. and I would teach him to only use it for emergencies.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    I think you'll find phones are banned at most schools?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mum2EandR View Post
    I think you'll find phones are banned at most schools?
    Most schools don't like them but accept them so long as they stay in the child's bag/handed into the office during school hours and are kept
    On silent. And the school takes no responsibility if the phone is stolen/lost/damaged.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Of course I let my kids play with gadgets like my iPhone and iPad. There are some excellent educational games/apps out now. I enable all the restrictions (do she can only access the children's apps I have downloaded). And I limit the time she has the phone/iPad unless we are traveling etc. the iPad has come in handy while traveling by being used to play movies instead of having to buy a DVD player for the car or using the laptop.

My 2 year old isn't all that into it yet, she is more into pretending to talk to
    People on it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I wouldn't have when DD was little. I wouldn't trust her with something as delicate as an iPhone. Those things break too easily and cost too much.

We let her play with the smashed screen iPod touch though... lol. The screen si just cracked but it still works fine. Figure it's already broken so who cares.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didn't let my ds use my iphone til he was 3.5 years old when we flew from Melbourne to Cairns. He got addicted quite quickly unfortunately and for a long time I had a war on my hands if I wanted my own phone. He would pester me for days on end to play games on my phone, even if he wasn't allowed it at all in that time. Basically I've had to lay down very strict rules mostly about getting off when I tell him or he won't get it again in a hurry and I put a short time limit on it, but yes I do let him use it. He especially uses it in waiting rooms/etc if there's nothing else to play with. But, all in all I'd say he's perhaps used it for 2 hours in the last month, so it's not much use at all.

My dd is only 9 months old and I'm in no rush for her to use it. I do show her photos on it to distract her when I'm desperate and don't have anything else with me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I try not to, but only under strict supervision if absolutely necessary, but we don't have iPod touches, iPads or any other things like that, we only have an iPhone.

I wouldn't buy them for them at their age (4 & 2) as they just don't understand how to care for them properly. My kids don't really know how to use them and it's not something they see us do much anyway, so they haven't really shown an interest in any gadgets either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    my 3 year old uses my phone frequently, with my permission and supervision.
    he likes to play angry birds and send messages to his dad and grandmother, he also has a mini dvd player for long car trips and iv been thinking about getting him a cheapie little tablet from ebay and putting educational apps on there, ones that will help him with reading and school readiness thingys.

i dont see it as bad parenting.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    we got some letter and number apps on df old smart phone fir jasper and I was impressed how much he picked up from them!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used to let DD play with our iPhones until I freaked out about potential harm from electromagnetic radiation and mobile phone signals so we don't anymore (on my insistence - DH has no problem with it but goes along to appease me, good man that he is! Mind you, I do have OCD, as I've said before and I worry about EVERYTHING!).

I read an article somewhere about possible negative health effects of mobile phones and it said one really good way to make mobile phones a bit safer for kids is to switch it to airplane/flight mode whenever they use it - that way it's not set to send or receive any signals.

I'm also in the 'grown-up gadgets are too expensive to replace if broken' camp so that's another reason I'm reluctant to let DD play with our stuff.

AND I think maybe I'm trying to hang onto the nostalgic idea that my kids can have the same kind of outdoorsy childhood I had, where we made cubby houses and played with billy carts and the dog and bikes and climbed trees and all that stuff. That was partly because my parents couldn't afford the technology of the time and partly because they felt strongly about us being active and physical. But I think realistically these days it's about finding a balance between the two sorts of activities. Anyway, that's my two cents' worth!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has her own iPod touch because I won't let her have my phone. DH gives her his phone from time to time but she can't unlock it, and mainly just plays with the cover
    I've turned the wifi off the iPod so she can't accidentally buy apps, and she can't call anyone (plus it has her educational apps on it). It's great because she gets her own "phone", but I don't have to give her mine, and risk it getting damaged