+ Reply to Thread
    strawberry swing is offline not so patiently waiting for the 1st of july!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default High bp at 39+5...

what number did you go into hospital for further monitoring/unrine/blood tests?

My hospital was a bit vague on when I should go in because I have no swelling, blurred/flashy vision or headaches.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    It depends on your baseline. If your BP normally is 120/70, they only get worried if it goes up 20 above that, is my understanding. My BP was normally the above rate. At one point it was at 148/89 (or there abouts) and they werent too worried. I had swelling and headaches too. I had to do a 24hr urine analysis in my third trimester, but the results were normal. My BP was elevated until birth.

If you feel worried there is no harm in getting checked out

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

strawberry swing  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    It depends on your baseline. If your BP normally is 120/70, they only get worried if it goes up 20 above that, is my understanding. My BP was normally the above rate. At one point it was at 148/89 (or there abouts) and they werent too worried. I had swelling and headaches too. I had to do a 24hr urine analysis in my third trimester, but the results were normal. My BP was elevated until birth.

If you feel worried there is no harm in getting checked out
    Thank you so much for such a quick reply!

iI's been sitting at 120/80 the whole pregnancy and it was 160/80 at my last gp appointment. it has gotten up to 140/90 and that's when I first called the hospy, but the lady didn't sound too concerned at all!

foetal movements haven't slowed down at all either.

I'm not too worried at the moment, mostly because I don't have any of the other things that would indicate pre-eclampsia, but then I know everyone is different!

do you think the reason my bp might have gone up is because bubs hasn't dropped from under my ribs yet? haha I think I'm clutching at straws here, really trying to avoid being induced if possible. Of course I'll do what ever I can to get her out safe though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Its pretty accepted that your blood pressure will go up towards the end- but like Indigo said it depends on whether it is your systolic or dystolic and what your urine tests have been like
    thank you

I've only done urine protein tests at the hospital during my appointments there, and there was always just a very very slight trace, which they all said was normal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BP and bubs not dropping aren't connected I don't think.

When was it 160/80? Have you gone into hospital after that to be checked? Did you ring the maternity ward about your BP? I think it's weird that they weren't worried or didn't at least organise for a repeat checkup. When is your next check up? Things can change with BP pretty quickly.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mim1 View Post
    BP and bubs not dropping aren't connected I don't think.

When was it 160/80? Have you gone into hospital after that to be checked? Did you ring the maternity ward about your BP? I think it's weird that they weren't worried or didn't at least organise for a repeat checkup. When is your next check up? Things can change with BP pretty quickly.
    1st bp reading was done early morning on Wednesday, I then went and borrowed my mums bp machine and have been watching it closely ever since. had it read at a chemist today as per hospital and gp reccomendations and it was 140/90.

She said if I had any concerns at all to go into the hospital, but otherwise because it wasn't much over what it's been the whole pregnancy to just keep an eye on it and for swelling ect. my next hospital appointment is 40+3 and the lady said I should be ok to wait until then to go in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry swing View Post
    1st bp reading was done early morning on Wednesday, I then went and borrowed my mums bp machine and have been watching it closely ever since. had it read at a chemist today as per hospital and gp reccomendations and it was 140/90.

She said if I had any concerns at all to go into the hospital, but otherwise because it wasn't much over what it's been the whole pregnancy to just keep an eye on it and for swelling ect. my next hospital appointment is 40+3 and the lady said I should be ok to wait until then to go in.
    Fair enough. I was worried it might be a week til you had a BP check again and a week is a long time if you have borderline high BP.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post: