+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Vacuum Suction device question

I'm 36 weeks and have been informed that my baby is face up and that if she doesn't spin around it could impact on my labour, especially with pushing.

Anyway, I've accepted this and have done some research and have started the recommended exercises to help her rotate.

The thing I'm concerned about is if I end up needing a Vacuum Suction used to help her out; I have heard that this can leave the baby with a cone shaped head. My cousin had one with her daughter and said that her head was mishapen for around 12 months afterwards.
    Just wanting to hear from others who needed to have this used in birth and did it affect the shape of your bubs head? I know that the head is very soft and my own DS had a bit of a flat head from sleeping on his back as a baby but it looks fine now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS was posterior. I wasn't aware until labour so had no chance to try turning exercises beforehand.

He had the cone-shapes head and an angry red mark on his head. Both of these had gone by the time we left hospital 2 days later.

I wasn't aware that there could be effects lasting up to 12 months?

Generally vaginally delivered babies have a bit of a cone shape to their heads anyway from coming down the birth canal.

Try and turn that bub! Vacuum extraction was so painful!!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to felicia81 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My SIL had the vacuum when she was delivering my niece. My niece had a little cone on the top of her head for less than a day and then it went back to normal. And my god were they pulling hard to get her out. She had a tiny mark left the shape of a ring from the suction for about 4 days but unless you were looking at the top of her head you couldn't notice. And she had no hair so it made it more obvious.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini85 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    They used the vacuum to rip DS1 out of me. His head was wonky looking after birth. He had a double head. It went around then in then out and around (does that makes sense?) It was bruised, red and sore looking. It took a few days to go back to normal shape, but was bruised and sore looking for about a month after birth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It generally only lasts a couple of days...very occasionally babies can have some damage to a deeper layer of tissue which takes much longer to heal. It's quite uncommon.
    Keep doing your exercises, the fact that you have had a baby before means you are less likely to encounter big problems, and remember that babies can still be born in that position.
    If you haven't already, check out the "spinning babies" website

9. The Following User Says Thank You to nicpic For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-06-2012)

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    That's a relief.. from what my cousin told me, I was expecting the head to be stretched and cone shaped for months and months! Maybe her daughter just had a natural long head anyway?? lol...

I did read that babies like to face their placenta and mine is anterior, so that explains it. I have to laugh, whe we had the 20 week ultrasound, i paid more for some 3D pictures but the little monkey would NOT face us so all I ended up seeing was the back of her head and a side profile. She's already playing up, the cheeky Miss!

felicia81- I'm trying! Any good tips besides lying on my left hand side?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son was posterior and had help from the vacuum to turn. He had a slight cone head and a little red suction mark for about 3 days. You'd never know now!
    Good luck with the turning

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bethylou78 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJandBaby View Post
    That's a relief.. from what my cousin told me, I was expecting the head to be stretched and cone shaped for months and months! Maybe her daughter just had a natural long head anyway?? lol...

I did read that babies like to face their placenta and mine is anterior, so that explains it. I have to laugh, whe we had the 20 week ultrasound, i paid more for some 3D pictures but the little monkey would NOT face us so all I ended up seeing was the back of her head and a side profile. She's already playing up, the cheeky Miss!

felicia81- I'm trying! Any good tips besides lying on my left hand side?
    Google "Spinning babies'

14. The Following User Says Thank You to IndigoJ For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had some suction right at the end to help with "steering". He had a little red mark for a day or so and no come head

16. The Following User Says Thank You to kw123 For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    No marks or cones on my vac baby. Just I got a second degree tear from vac extraction.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (30-06-2012)