+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone tried Castor oil?

There's so many pros and cons online....has anyone had any experiences with castor oil? Did it work for you and how far along were u?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I didnt try it as my middie and OB both said that what it does is irritate the bowel (hence the diarrohea). And because your bowel is irritated it can irritate everything else down there and *could* cause you to go into labour. Same principal as having a hot curry.

One thing I do have to agree is if you are ready it will work but if you aint all its gonna do is give you the runs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I tried it when I was about 38 weeks (had PIH and they kept delaying my induction but i didn't like been on the medication) it didn't make me go into labour but did give my waters a hind tear (?) which then lead to induction. Also had runs for about a day. If you're going to take it mix it with orange juice, taste awful!
    Last edited by Happymum2; 29-06-2012 at 16:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did.
    I was 39 weeks and had been having Braxton hicks and prelabour since 28 weeks so was well over it.
    Just to note I had also been inserting 2 x evening primrose oil capsules nightly, taking raspberry leaf tablets and using nipple stimulation to try and encourage the contractions into actually do something other than leave me exhausted so it could have been any of those things either.

I had 2tbs (I think) in a small glass of milkshake at lunchtime and didnt have diarhhoea at all. Contractions started to be a little more regular and felt like they were actually working from about 3pm and DS was born at about 9.35pm with no complications other than him being born in the ambulance :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried it at 37 and 39 weeks did nothing but give me the runs wasn't fun at all!! Most people I know do it at 39-40 weeks or if there Over due...

My friend was 40 weeks and 4 days and she took it and jumped on her tramp and she went into labour that night.

My other friend was 41 weeks took it and did nothing but give her the runs and wind was horrible she said lol

But if you do it there is no harm but I suggest either mixing it with orange juice or having a chaser of juice as its totally gross!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've don't think it's recommended anymore as bub could pass their meconium & ingest it

Thanks
    Reviews
    2girls1boyplus1 - I have been doing all those things except nipple stim and feel I'm completely ready. Getting so impatient. There's a lot of different stories.

I think I'd like to try in the morning after sleep & lots of water to prevent dehydration and then go on a big walk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I tried it with DS1.

It did nothing. I took about 3x the dosage, twice.

It did nothing, no runs, no labour nothing. I was over due and went into labour naturally (when bub was ready) 4days after the last dose.

DS1 had no mec, but i 100% do not recommend it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by liss88 View Post
    I tried it at 37 and 39 weeks did nothing but give me the runs wasn't fun at all!! Most people I know do it at 39-40 weeks or if there Over due...

My friend was 40 weeks and 4 days and she took it and jumped on her tramp and she went into labour that night.

My other friend was 41 weeks took it and did nothing but give her the runs and wind was horrible she said lol

But if you do it there is no harm but I suggest either mixing it with orange juice or having a chaser of juice as its totally gross!!!!!!!
    Lol @ jumped on her trampoline!!