+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default My 4mth old will only go to sleep on my boob

Hi all.
    Just wondering if anyone has had this problem.
    My little man is relying on the boob to sleep.
    He won't take the dummie and will slept in the car and pram but I can't get him to sleep apart from on my boob any other time.
    Even @ night he can't self settle without it.
    I try to pat him to sleep he gets all hit and bothered.
    I try to rock him to sleep but that sends him crazy as he's searching for it.
    All I seem to do doesn't work.
    I have a partner but he's back isn't well so I'm the only one whom has put him to sleep.
    He LOVES to suck things but the Dummie NO THANK YOU he says I SOMETIMES can hold it in he's mouth when I rock him in my arms but it seems so nasty.

Any ideas as to what I can do.

I wouldn't worry about it at all but I HAVE to go back to work in August and just worried about him.

I had one idea of EBM to see what happens, he does ok on a bottle but he hasn't as yet gone to sleep with it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the reply I'll have a look and also just cross my fingers that in a month we work something out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have any personal experience with this but my good friend is still having this problem at 14 months, so if it were me I'd try to change the situation (as you are, by coming here for advice).

Maybe a sleep school could help?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am battling this! Currently, at 10 months she is waking hourly and the only way to get her back down is a feed.. I have no advice, but offer lots of hugs..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I too am battling this! Currently, at 10 months she is waking hourly and the only way to get her back down is a feed.. I have no advices, but offer lots of hugs..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I weaned DS off this at about 7 months by feeding him till he got sleepy then pulling him off and rocking him. Yep he got mad but soon got used to just getting rocked to sleep. Eventually we moved to cuddling to sleep for his day naps, but only after months of rocking.

You could also rock him in his pram till very very drowsy, then transfer to cot. If he gets upset you could rub his back and if that doesn't settle him pick him up and rock him.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Feeding to sleep/using a dummy can cause sleep association problems (night wakings) so good onyou for seeking advice.

If you're not comfortable with the cold turkey approach/ perhaps a few nights of crying, then try a phased approach. Feed bub in a dark room. 15 minutes before bedtime stop feeding, change bubs nappy etc (to keep bub awake). Then feed for another 10. Put bub down while bub is drowsy but not asleep. Slowly reduce the 10 mins (8,6,4,2 etc). So you're putting bub down with just a small top up after the nappy change. Eventually you will put bub down straight after the nappy change.

make sure bub has a cloth comforter with your smell on it.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks every one for your help and advise.
    I hope I can get thru this it's just a bummer as it would worry me in the slightest just with me going back to work I need to deal with it before I start giving him to some one else to look after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS was exactly the same at that age but he would sleep well overnight. When he got to about 8-9 months old I think he started the over night wakings and wouldn't go back to sleep without a BF. I ended up having to do a bit of CC. The first night I fed him but made sure he didn't go to sleep, but him in his cot awake and he cried for 10mins and then when to sleep. Second night was 5 mins, third night was only 2 mins and since then he goes into his cot awake, doesn't make a peep and sleeps 7pm-7am.

I wouldn't suggest doing that now at this young age, and of course don't do that if you're not comfortable with it, but I found it very effective for my DS. he still needs mummy cuddles to go to sleep now (15 months), and we are still breastfeeding but it's much easier now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirsty6679 View Post
    Thanks every one for your help and advise.
    I hope I can get thru this it's just a bummer as it would worry me in the slightest just with me going back to work I need to deal with it before I start giving him to some one else to look after.
    Just wanted to add, that although my bub needs to feed to sleep from me.. She will happily fall asleep sitting on her daddy's lap! Go figure.. So it's definately the pattern she has established with me. So don't fret, your baby knows who gives milk and who can't