+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Positive c-section stories!!

Hi ladies,

I'm having an elective c-section in December and wanted to find out some positive experiences.

I really want the baby to be placed on me directly after birth for as much skin to skin contact as possible.

Is this automatic or is it something I need to detail in my birth plan?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I'm not sure actually but would also like to find out. I ha a c section back in 1996 and they didn't let me hold her skin to skin but then I didn't request it either.. I was very young and had no idea what I was doing. They wrapped her up and then gave her to me (would u believe she's now 15.... And im now expecting my second!!)
    Im also having a c section this time round and also want the skin to skin contact as much as possible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it depends on what hospital you are having the section at. Private or public and on what the Obstetrician allows. C/sections vary from OB to OB and hospital to hospital. Best to ask before the day so they know your requests.
    Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I had a great c section experience and yes they put him on my chest for about ten minutes before they took him upstairs with DH , just make sure you tell your Obgyn , I was in recovery by myself for about 30 mins before they took me back up to my room to see DS, DH was with DS the whole time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Angenrod!!

Check out this video on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5RIc...e_gdata_player

Thanks
    Reviews
    I want this experience!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had a good emergency c-section experience. My twins were wrapped straight away, so no skin to skin straight away however both babies were kept with me the whole time and I tandem fed them in recovery, so got about 30min skin to skin time then.

Probably best to tell your OB about your preferences.

Mod-SammiAnn is offline Administrator
    Winner 2010- The Most Helpful Member Award

Winner 2010- Member You'd Most Like To Meet IRL Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi ,

I've had three CSs and will be having our fourth in Novemeber. I've had lovely experiences with all of mine. Two were at our small town hospital and last was in Brisbane. Last bub I held as soon as he was born, but he was wrapped as he as small and I was shaking too much to grip him enough. But once I was out of the theatre and propped up a little he was skin to skin the whole time we were in recovery and he was the only of my three to actually do the breast crawl for his first feed, was an amazing feeling .

I think if you ask before, the requests are reasonable and you understand things don't always go to plan you should have a great chance of having things how you want. Lots of situations are what we ourselves make of them. Best of luck with your delivery.

Sam

Thanks
    Reviews
    My c-section (emergency) was a fantastic experience. My midwife was wonderful. Ds was wrapped so not skin on skin straight away but while I was being stitched up my midwife took my DH and DS to recovery a gave them time to have skin on skin. I came out about 10mins or so later and DS went straight on the breast and didn't stop the whole time I was in hospital (3days). I recovered extremely well, was up and about the next day (had DS at 8pm). Once out of hospital I no longer needed any painkillers.

I'm currently 18 weeks pregnant again and have the option of trying for a VBAC, would love to go naturally but really don't mind either way as my experience was so good.

Good luck, I hope it goes well for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Regarding the skin-to-skin, I'd advise you to chat with your obstetrician at one of your appointments and just explain that it's what you'd like, I don't see why it'd be a problem (barring any unforseen issues). Depending on the hospitals rules I guess they might not let you take baby into recovery with you so probably check that out too.

Regarding positive stories, I had a great elective c-section. I was up and about the next day and off pain killers within about 2 days. Once I got home I was fine and the tenderness had gone within weeks. My obstetrician was a dream, and the surgery was relaxed and uncomplicated (as uncomplicated as major surgery is! ).

I held my son after he was delivered (although I have to admit I'd never really had a birth plan and immediate skin-to-skin contact was something I really wasn't concerned with, that's just me). One of the nurses took photos of baby being delivered, hubby cutting the cord, me holding him and hubby's first cuddle. They're amazing photos.

I was in recovery for about an hour I think and my husband was by my sons side the whole time.

In short I'd do it all again in a hearbeat.

Good luck!