+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm getting over these religion bashing threads. Like really over it....

We ALL have the right to our own beliefs...

Gah..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Gah..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Regina Phalange View Post
    It's also probably no different to teaching your kids that Santa, easter bunny and tooth fairy are real

Is there a year 9 text book that suggests this!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post

Gah..
    Do you believe [mythical] The Loch Ness Monster is a real live Plesiosaur??

if you don't - no need to feel 'bashed'.
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 29-06-2012 at 22:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    So.... I don't get it...

If it was a school teaching my child - or even other children something, thats another story. If a teacher in a classroom told my child that I'd probably start by having a hearty laugh and two tell them where to shove their religious opinions.

BUT who truly knows what - if any - religion or religious beliefs have it right. And really this is no different to a catholic homeschooling parent teaching one-sided catholic religious studies, or an atheist teaching their child no RE, or me saying to my kids believe what you want, but I'd encourage them to believe something.

I assume the curriculum teaches them also how to read, write? maths etc?

a parent could also just as easily send a child to public school and teach them whatever they like at home.

I'm not saying it's ideal though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub
    Last edited by Boobycino; 29-06-2012 at 22:09.

Thanks
    Reviews
    so... back in 1933 this was already dealt with.

In 1933 the suggestion was made that the monster "bears a striking resemblance to the supposedly extinct plesiosaur",[111] a long-necked aquatic reptile that went extinct during the Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event. At the time this was a popular explanation. The following arguments have been put against it:
    Plesiosaurs were probably cold-blooded reptiles requiring warm tropical waters, while the average temperature of Loch Ness is only about 5.5 °C (42 °F).[112] Even if the plesiosaurs were warm-blooded, they would require a food supply beyond that of Loch Ness to maintain the level of activity necessary for warm-blooded animals.[113]
    In October 2006, the New Scientist headlined an article "Why the Loch Ness Monster is no plesiosaur" because Leslie Noè of the Sedgwick Museum in Cambridge reported, "The osteology of the neck makes it absolutely certain that the plesiosaur could not lift its head up swan-like out of the water".[114]
    The loch is only about 10,000 years old, dating to the end of the last ice age. Prior to that date, the loch was frozen solid for about 20,000 years.[115]
    If creatures similar to plesiosaurs lived in the waters of the Loch Ness, they would be seen very frequently as they would have to surface several times a day to breathe

It is 2012 people...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Kiplusthree  (30-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Well I don't know about the neck thing, but its definitely plausible that a usually cold blooded animal could survive in 5.5 degree water. I have been clubbing in Scotland in winter and have witnessed with my own eyes the strange fact that Scottish lasses feel the cold far less than others of their species

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (30-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (29-06-2012),FiveInTheBed  (29-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (30-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was also on my way in to say "Nessie is real"

On the whole home schooling thing though it is a bit of a worry. If anything Nessie is fascinating and I've no problem with kids being taught about it, but I think it should be a JFK or Jack the Ripper type of lesson (where you show all the evidence both for and against and let the kids come up with their own thoughts and theories on the subject). I guess it is a reflection of my own beliefs though, I think religion and education should be separate.

I had a hard time in high school, I would have loved to be home schooled. I think it is a great option for some people, and I'm glad that people can come up with their own systems for teaching their children (that kind of thing leads to all kinds of innovation in learning). At the same time I think a standard curriculum would be beneficial (teach it any way that works for your kids, but lets make sure they have a chance in the real world -going to university, gaining employment for example).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Ok - first off can I clear up this thread wasn't a dig at homeschooling at all, it was the fact that in a TEXT BOOK - it says the loch ness monster is a Plesiosaur!! A dinosaur that went extinct millions of years ago
    This is Creationist non sense!!
    ..I don't know how anyone can defend it being suppled as educational material.

and secondly - if someone tried to use the Theory of Evolution to attempt to explain where the Earth came from - they wouldn't get very far ...because that's not what Evolution is.
    Ok yes sorry, I do believe in evolution to an extent, what I meant to say was 'The big bang" (ie that when I was in school it was pretty much taught as fact that that is how the world started)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    Ok yes sorry, I do believe in evolution to an extent, what I meant to say was 'The big bang" (ie that when I was in school it was pretty much taught as fact that that is how the world started)

***Sent from my phone***
    Im an athiest and very much agree evolution does occur - but still the big bang theory doesnt sit right with me either. Too many holes in the theory. In saying that I dont believe god created earth. Either we dont know enough about BBT yet, or the universe began in a different way which hasnt been discovered yet, I wouldnt teach my kids BBT as fact!

Oops bit OT!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub