+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Aus Home schooled kids taught loch ness is real...

http://www.news.com.au/national/home...-1226411722331

Is anyone on here taking part in Home schooling through ACHS??

I really need to know if this is true or a big Hoax!

SCOTLAND'S Loch Ness monster exists. She's a plesiosaur, a living dinosaur, and her existence shows God created the Earth and evolution is bunkum.
    That’s what Australian homeschool kids can learn from a US curriculum being distributed here.

Families are using the Accelerated Christian Education curriculum, which has sparked controversy worldwide for using magical imaginary beasts like Nessie to argue that God created the world quite recently and that the Darwinian theory of evolution is wrong.

In Australia homeschooling families have to agree to complete the basic curriculum, but are free to use any other curricula as well. Regulation is up to the individual states.

Education expert Professor Ian McDonald said he was unsurprised to learn that homeschool curricula included claims that the Loch Ness monster was real. He said the hardcore religious elements dominate homeschooling in the US and so it was inevitable that extreme views would permeate the culture here.

Prof McDonald, who is the director of Victoria University’s Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching, said the homeschooling sector was largely unregulated, and that there was no reliable data on how many children are being homeschooled. Neither the ABS nor the Federal Government could provide data yesterday.

The ACE Biology textbook ‘Biology 1099’ says Scotland’s mythical monster Nessie has been recorded on sonar and described by eyewitnesses. Creationists hold that if dinosaurs walked (or, in the case of Nessie, walk. Or swim) on the Earth at the same time as humans, it proves that progressive evolution cannot be true.

Southern Cross Educational Enterprises distribute the “Biblically based curriculum” in Australia and confirmed they use the US textbooks at the centre of the Loch Ness controversy. News.com.au asked for further information and an interview with a manager but was told they would have to find someone who knew about the textbook, which they had not done by the time of publication.

The Australian Christian Home Schooling organisation says on its website it is the nation’s biggest home schooling organisation and supports hundreds of families using the ACE curriculum. It says:

“The philosophy and worldview of the curriculum is distinctly Biblical. The ACE curriculum is not the state curriculum with a few Bible verses around the edges. Every subject upholds the Lordship of Jesus Christ and teaches about mission, godly living, respect for those in authority and character development.”

Phone calls to the ACHS were directed back to Southern Cross.

Prof McDonald said more collaboration between homeschooling families and the official system was needed help ensure children were exposed to a greater diversity of ideas without overregulating the sector

“My concern as always is giving kids a fair chance and it’s such a difficult issue. Parents want to bring kids up according to their beliefs... but do the kids ever get a chance to make a real decision?” he said.

“The school system at least exposes kids to greater variety. Schooling forces you to confront a greater variety of ideas and people. Is that good for society?

“With evolution…there are Christian schools that run conventional schools that teach against evolution. God knows what goes on in the informal curriculum. There’s no regulation that will enforce a formal understanding of science. “

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thanks
    Reviews
    Many of my friends work at Qld's largest Homeschooling institute. Never heard of this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I have a friend using ace, I'll ask her In 24 hours when Fb lets me back on

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    I have a friend using ace, I'll ask her In 24 hours when Fb lets me back on
    ahhh - was it you who broke FB!??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ahhh - was it you who broke FB!??

Quite possibly. From overuse.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was homeschooled with ACE (I'm not religious and wasn't at the time) and honestly this wouldn't surprise me at all!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What the?

Nessie isn't real?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CluckySC View Post
    I was homeschooled with ACE (I'm not religious and wasn't at the time) and honestly this wouldn't surprise me at all!!
    Were you? You're planning to homeschool, aren't you?

Excuse my total ignorance. There are a variety of homeschooling businesses, and you can choose which system you use? And ACE is one of them?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am Scottish and can confirm that Nessie is real. You have to believe it to see it!!