+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Diesal - I also have the same concern, if the induction doesn't go smoothly, I may end up giving birth the next day when my husband is not around. It is not like he can't get off work but he thinks he doesn't need to.

Another thing is I am also at risk for PND. I am not how much emotional support I will need or not need, DH is actually one of the reasons I am at risk due to relationship issues. Now when I think about it, it may be better off if he is not around at all. But the thought of going to labor by myself is extremely frightening.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Is there anyone else who you would feel comfortable with helping you? Induction poses some risks, there is roughly a 30% chance it will end in an emergency CS in which case you will definately need help. As a PP said, having a new born can be very lonely and it's not realistic to think you will be fine to manage by yourself from day one. Are you planning on breastfeeding? Alhtough technially it only takes you and the baby to BF it can be really REALLY hard. I know I appreciated every moment DF was at home with me even just to pass me something when I was learning how to BF, give me someone to talk to, hold the baby so I could wash. When I had DS (induction) it was a vacuum delivery that left me with a 3rd degree tear. It was very painful to walk for a couple of days and every time I had a bowel motion I had to shower afterwards to keep it all clean to minimise infection. I couldn't have done all of this if my DF (or someone else) wasn't here to support me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Fob worked the morning i was in labour and the evening after ds was born, he could not take time off either.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Luckily DD was born on a Friday so he had the weekend off plus the following week. He came in most of the day and stayed the night she was born.

For me, it wasn't that I needed help, but more that I was lonely and emotional, so I was glad that him and my mum came in often. Plus he wanted to spend lots of time with DD too! I was ina private hospital for 4 looooonnnggg nights.

But if your DH can only get limited time off, I recommend that he has off when you get home, as it's nice to have that support at home to cook meals, do nappy changes and burping while you have a rest to recover.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With our first, my DH came to hospital with me for the induction early morning which unfortunately ended in emergency CS in the evening. DH did not leave my side for the 5 days I was in hospital. Luckily we had a large room with a bed for him. Having him there 24/7 was invaluable and I wouldn't change a thing. He helped with baths, feeding, nappy changes, took DS for walks to let me sleep, even simple things like passing DS to me in the middle of the night so I didn't have to get out of bed. Basically did everything to help me recover and relax as it had been a pretty stressful couple of days prior to delivery and a hormonal rollercoaster afterwards! The midwives were great but pretty much left us alone, I suppose as they knew I had help. If he wasn't there I am sure they probably would assist on the same level? Once we got home, he took the week off work, then the second week went in for a few hours a day and then the third week resumed work when my sister came to stay. Personally I found it a very emotional and tiring time and I will forever be grateful for his decision and initiative.

I found in the early days, it was nice to have him there, to ride the wave with me and to reassure me that I was doing OK as a new mummy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    i found that while i was in the hospital then there wasn't really much that dh could do. we do did the first bath when he was able to visit tho. with my 2nd & 3rd dh was looking after the other children and dropped them at daycare then went to work while i was still in hospital. when i came home (about 3 days in hospital was all i needed) he did take a couple of weeks off just to help me keep on top of everything and i found that by the end of the 3 weeks i was ready to kick his *** out the door. it was easier to find my own routine without him there. but he did help a lot at night by cooking dinner (while i was feeding bubs) and he did bath the baby as his time to bond with the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dp came for a few hours each day but I didnt really need him there. It was more when I got home cause I'd had a c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haven't read the other replies, so sorry if this doubles up....

Can he take annual leave? Or is there someone else who you feel comfortable with who could stay with you?

I was induced, & ended up with an emergency C-section after labouring for 22 hours - I don't mean to scare you, but things don't always turn out how you plan them, so you want to make sure you have *someone* with you in case things take longer than anticipated.

Also, I didn't get out of bed for 2 days after the c-section (had a catheter in etc) - but I was lucky enough that DP stayed in the hospital with me 24/7, so he did all of the nappy changes, & brought bubs to me in bed to feed etc.

Had DP not have been there, I'd have had to have had bubs in the nursery with the midwives instead of the room with me!

Anyway, I don't want to freak you out but it's worth having a back up person on standby if your partner can't be there, just in case.

Good luck xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    At this point I will being going into labour naturally which means we can not predict when I will be having the baby.

Hubby is a pharmacist and is the only one on duty most days of the week which means unless he can find a replacement with no notice I will be solo also.

I am a lil worried about this but figure he can atleast get time off when I get home with bubs and I will have the midwives to help in hospital.

I try to remember that women have been giving birth for hundreds of years so I will be ok.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.