+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default 1,2,3 Magic/Raising Your Spirited Child etc worth the $$?

I have a 'spirited' child. I did the Spirited Child quiz online and he scored in the 'spirited' category after only a few questions! I have heard great things about the Raising Your Spirited Child, 1,2,3 Magic, and Children Are People Too books and I'm happy to go out and buy them if they are honestly worth it? Or are they just a waste of money for people who are at their wits ends to buy in the vain hope that there will be some miracle cure for difficult kids?

I have Dr Green's Toddler Taming, and The 'No Cry' Discipline Solution and a few baby based ones that have been lent to me over the last year and I haven't found them very helpful. I have also done a 2 hour seminar with Triple P, but all of these I found to be pretty useless. My DS is the kind of kid who you do all the obvious, basic methods with, and then say "so, what do you do if none of that works?" The Triple P lady sent us to a behavioural paed, who said that he's perfectly fine (as in no clinical behavioural issue to diagnose) and offered me some more useless tips that I already do.

Is the 1,2,3 Magic idea just when you say, for example, "Johnny, taking that toy off your sister is not nice, please give it back to her and find something else" Johnny says "NO!" Mummy says "I'm going to count to three and if you don't give it back you will won't be doing/having X ....1....2.....3" ????

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I haven't done 123 Magic but have done Positive Parenting Program.

My understanding of 123 Magic is it focused on punishment rather than positive reinforcement. Where as PPP would say "don't take your sisters toys, how about you both share and enjoy them together" or "if you eat dinner it would make mummy really happy!" kind of thing, not a "if you steal your sisters toys you'll go to the naughty corner" or whatever.

I could be wrong about 123 Magic though! That was just the impression I got when researching after having spoken to other parents

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll also add, PPP is taking a lot of time for us haha we're getting there but it is a really slow journey

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Anjalee For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1-2-3 has two components. It talks about start and stop behaviour. For start behaviour (things you want the child to do, good behaviour if you will) it gives you all kinds of tips to encourage this and this is where positive parenting comes in. For stop behaviour, the 1-2-3 comes into play. It aims at stopping the behaviour before having to use artificial consequences. So it's not quite as simple as counting and punishment. I haven't used it yet, my DS is only 19 months and at the moment, redirecting him and giving him choices which seems to work ok at the moment. My SIL uses it though, she has 4 kids 8 and under with another due in 4 weeks and it has been great for her. You could probably hire the DVDs from your library so you don't have to buy them. That way if it doesn't work, you have lost nothing. It's really easy to watch and learn.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have both raising your spirited child and 123magic.
    Both are great books and have good strategies to implement.
    If you have an iPad, the ebooks are cheaper.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD isn't spirited but I really loved "raising your spirited child". Such a wise, respectful book and I have no doubt that it will improve your relationship with your child. I'd love to read "children are people too" but I imagine it would be less practical. I know people who love 123 magic but it doesn't appeal to me at all. My all time favorite discipline book is "how to talk so kids will listen and listen so kids will talk". I know that my library has all of those books/DVDs so might be worth checking them out at your library before paying for them

10. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a spirited almost 3 yr old dd. I love how we call them spirited. We love them to pieces and honestly wouldn't change a thing (well I wouldn't anyway) buy geez, they keep you on your toes don't they! I'll definitely be looking into all these books, etc. I Do however, prefer the positive parenting technique. It's how I was raised and I've turned out Just fine.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jazzybaby For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (01-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Subscribing because I have a spirited DD and would like to get se books too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought the 1-2-3 magic iBook but I haven't read much of it and haven't implemented anything but I really need to! It just so happens in the last week of prep I received a school newsletter and there was an expression of interest for the 1-2-3 magic workshop! It's going ahead and Is only $15 for 3x2hour sessions and they will mind kids who aren't at school!! Sorry to derail, I'm just hoping I learn something because my DD1 who is perfect for others is not so for us :/

15. The Following User Says Thank You to pooks For This Useful Post:

breakthemould  (01-07-2012)