+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone change career when you are a high paid professional?.

I used to love my job

(have only been doing it for 7 years - but studied for 7 years to get there - had absolutely no life during study... very intensive... and no i'm not a doctor!)

No my job seems too stressful, the responsibility is too much for me. Most days are a struggle. what happens at work keeps me up at night now:-(

I'm currently suffering from anxiety due to a few unpleasant events that piled together and left me in a permanent state of anxiety. (the last the pushed me over the edge was, a lady came to my door at night screaming that someone was bashing her,she needed help, wanted to come in... then behind her was someone and she was hit etc on my door step... i didn't let her in cos i was at home on my own absolutely freaking out... that feeling hasn't left me :-( )

I want to leave my job but cant... I worked so hard to get there, I thought this was what i wanted to do for the rest of my life!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You poor thing, that situation sounds terrifying. I haven't been in your situation (though do experience anxiety) but I wanted to suggest that maybe it would be a good idea to try and get the anxiety under control before making a huge life decision. Is there any way you could take some time off work to give yourself a break? Are you getting treatment for your anxiety?

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sajimum For This Useful Post:

giggle berry  (29-06-2012),Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess you could say I did. I went from a 6 figure salary in a job I used to love to being a SAHM. Complete career change and I also don't get paid anything for it! I found the job didn't suit me anymore when I went back after being on maternity leave. I didn't have the passion and drive I needed to work to my best ability and I hated that I was only really doing a half ar$ed job when I was there. I had managed people like that and knew it was in my (and the company's) best interests to leave. I was starting to resent my job and was incredibly anxious and in tears on the way home from work most nights. I didn't sleep well on work nights because I'd be consumed with sadness about having to go in the next day.

We now have a different lifestyle (no 5 star hotels, restaurants or holidays for us!) but I am so much happier and more content. I have zero work stress and can put all my energy into my son (and soon to be born second child) which is perfect for me.

I don't miss work at all.

I miss the lifestyle our combined salaries afforded us but TBH, with children, those luxuries were becoming few and far between anyway because of time, tiredness and the desire to be with our son.

Best decision I ever made was to quit.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moxy For This Useful Post:

MinkyJ  (29-06-2012),Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow that sounds bad. Are you getting counselling? I was just thinking you could discuss with them career options - sometimes good to write out pros and cons about leaving and staying and thinking about what else you could do.

I'm in a high paying job - well more than I EVER thought I would earn!!! I have lately thought about leaving. Anything else I would do would be less money but I'm pregnant with my second child and thinking there is more to life than this. And the stress (while not at your level) is big! Over the next few months I'm going to write up all my options and see what happens when I am on maternity leave.

You do sound like you need a break too. Can you take one? Even just a short break might help...

And IT is okay to change your career if you want to. Who knows something amazing may be around the corner. Does that mean you wasted the 14 years you put into what you are doing now? Not at all! It has made you the person you are now - has given you many good experiences (I hope).

Good luck with whatever you do.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MinkyJ For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    a friend/ex boss from when I worked in telemarketing left a corporate sales job to work in childcare. she asked to have lunch with me once, just me, after I'd quit my job, it was a little odd, to ask me all about childcare. She confessed she'd been doing children's parties on the weekends! She was the higher income earner between her & her partner but she hated her job. I imagine she took a 50% pay cut to become a childcare assist.

but my dad always said "do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life"

If you put money & expectations aside, what gives you pleasure? what would make you happy?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using BubHub

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Boobycino For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I considered this last year and was all set to go back to uni to do my masters in something different. I was miserable at work, I couldn't cope with the stress and my awful boss and the negative environment. I was getting terrible performance reviews because I was just shutting down, ignoring things until they were absolute disasters.

In the end, however, I couldn't stand it any longer and couldn't wait until the next academic year to get out, and didn't want to work part time in my old job for years while studying... so I got a new job doing the same work in a different environment (I moved from private practice to government) - and it has made ALL the difference. I enjoy what I do again and I am getting great feedback as I have the experience from my old job but none of the same stress and pressure.

Not sure if this was the sort of response you were looking for, just wanted to share my experience and suggest maybe looking around for a similar job but different environment, or less hours or something.

Good luck!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shelle65 For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think you should get some treatment for the anxiety, and consider if there is scope for a less stressful job within your profession before making a big change.

I'm in law, but I work in a small firm for a partner who is not excessively concerned with making a lot of money, so there is not the same pressure to bill. I assume I could get more money elsewhere, but I don't want the extra hours or pressure.

But, I relate to your dilemma of getting out of a profession completely. I have though about leaving law, and doing something in human services, but I can't currently afford the pay cut, but I don't know if I'd change even if I could. It's hard giving up a profession that pays okay and has the potential to pay very well.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I worked my way up and without qualification was in a 6 figure salary role, I stopped that to be a SAHM, but now that I'm looking at returning to work I know I could walk back into my old job, I enjoyed the pressure and pace before I had kids, but I know now I would find it unbearable and far too stressful, especially with kids. SO... I'm starting a whole new career (well sort of new) and will be lucky to make 1/5 of my original income.

My advice would be do something you love and make sure your lifestyle can be afforded with the pay cut, or adjust your lifestyle now so you can afford your pay cut.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thank you everyone for the wonderful replies. I am going to start with treatment for the anxiety, it has to be a temporary state for me (i am not like this normally at all!!!) Then I'll see how I am. I used to love my job and dreamed of being almost exactly what I am since I was about 14 years old.... I've just lost perspective... You have all helped to give me a little bit of that back.

I also know for a fact that I am good at what I do despite my insecurities and anxiety. A holiday is also a great idea... Haven't had one since before the girls were even conceived

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Rachie, as someone who has undergone professional treatment for anxiety, I can honestly say you will feel like a new woman once you get treatment. Asking these questions with what you have hanging over you (PTSD?) is something that thankfully you have realised.

It's the right step. Good luck

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Caviar For This Useful Post:

Rachie81  (06-07-2012)