+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Post partum depression what helped you survive/ recover?

Ive always been capable and had some experience with babies, but there have been some feeding challenges that meant my baby was unsettled fit weeks and left me negative stressed burnt out .

Also it may be depression ir aswell i may be one of the many people who dont relate to young babies Please can you tell me what helped you recover/ survive post natal depression .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Just take it one day at a time. I developed PND just weeks after DS was born. I thought I couldn't look after him I didn't know what to do with him. Everyone around me kept telling me I was looking after him and I did know what to do with him, I just couldn't see it. It got really bad. I saw my doctor and got some medication to help get my brain back on track.
    Everyday I tried to do things that I knew would help me, like going for walks, and doing things for my son, like making him a mobile for his room. One thing that was said to me was that he needs his mum to smile at him, coz when hes 3months old he going to be looking a me and waiting for a smile. so I would smile at him even if I wasn't quite feeling it.
    It does get better, you won't believe it now I didn't, but it does.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What helped me: psychology appointments, dealing with my son's traumatic birth, joining mothers group and lots of time and pacience. Best of luck :-)

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Getting out and around people helped so I wasn't cooped up all day with DD. For me mum's group wasn't the best as I constantly compared my apparent lack of abilities with everyone else's skills. It is only recently (DD is 8 m) that I felt myself there, to the extent that I'm comfortable hosting the next one at my house. It does get better and do what works for you!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    What helped me? Meds. Contact with others who understood and/or were sympathetic. Counselling. Getting dh to understand what was going on.

I was diagnosed with PND when dd2 was 18m, it had been going on for a while, it took a while to find the right meds but when I did they gave me the breathing space to manage things, as in deal with my other issues. I'm still not fully recovered, I have just ordered Steve Ilardi's 6 steps book (recommended by another wonderful hubber), I tried meditation and I'm constantly trying to eat and sleep well. I feel so much better when I do, but I keep falling of the wagon.

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sylvia1111 View Post
    Ive always been capable and had some experience with babies, but there have been some feeding challenges that meant my baby was unsettled fit weeks and left me negative stressed burnt out .

Also it may be depression ir aswell i may be one of the many people who dont relate to young babies Please can you tell me what helped you recover/ survive post natal depression .
    I just wanted to add, depression is just a label. What matters is that you find some strategies to help you feel better, whether that's through the gp or not. You gotta do what works for you. Accepting a diagnosis of depression opens up the options of antidepressants and medicare funded counselling, and other support services. I found it very tough to accept that diagnosis but in the end it didn't really matter, it just opened up some resources that I needed. Hope you feel better soon : hugs:

ETA don't forget you can call PANDA or other helplines like Beyond Blue to talk to trained counsellors. That can be very helpful if you are having a rough day and need to offload in a safe space
    Last edited by Gothel; 02-07-2012 at 09:46.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cbt, counseling and medication. 2 years recovered so far!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anti depressants, lots of exercise,made a new bff in my mother's group going through the same, and going back to work.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Seeing my GP
    Starting on AD's
    Seeing a psychologist
    Getting myself and DH educated on the illness.
    These are the things that helped me recover from PND

Thanks
    Reviews
    My son came out of the NICU almost 2 weeks ago and it wasn't until a couple of days later that I started feeling anxious ALL THE TIME. My anxiety comes from the fact that I am thinking about everyones mortality and if we all eventually going to die then why bother. I feel like I am on the Titanic and I know it is going to sink and I can't do anything about it. It's not nice to feel anxious this way and it really has taken the joy out of everything I used to find fun. I still do the things I used to find fun but everything I do just seems like a waste. It's crazy-stupid and I don't get why I feel this way!!!

I have told DH that I feel anxious because I cry about it whenever he says I'm in a funny mood.

Doctors appointment on Tuesday, wish it were sooner because I have never felt this way in my life!