+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Disposing of dummy for 12mth - advice

DS is 10mths old and currently has a dummy to get off to sleep. He doesn't have it any other time and doesn't wake overnight for it. When I check on him before going to bed, he has usually already spat it out. Very occasionally he may wake at 4-5am and as soon as I give it to him he goes back to sleep until 6.30-7am.

I'd like to get rid of it before he potentially becomes too reliant on it, and before we go overseas just after his 1st bday. I've had experience with my sister & her 2.5yr DD and it was/is a nightmare experience - I'm wanting to avoid that possible scenario by doing it earlier.

Any advice on the best way to handle this, given his age and current use? Cold turkey or more subtle methods?

I'm torn because it helps him go straight to sleep & relaxes him instantly. I'm scared his great sleeping patterns will be thrown out the window!

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I've just given my 2.5yo a dummy for sleep time to try and get him off his reliance on bottles lol.

His sleeping has improved out of sight since I introduced it and he only ever has it when he's going to sleep and spits it almost as soon as he's asleep.

Is it really a big issue for your DS to have it?

Thanks
    Reviews
    At the moment no, I'm completely comfortable with it. But when he goes to daycare soon, I'm really concerned they will give it to him whenever he so much as whinges a bit. So ideally want it gone before then so I can say he doesn't have one at all.

This happened with my neice and my sister is now having a terrible time getting rid of it (2.5) she can't even change a nappy without her calling for 'dummy dummy' because they do it at daycare to shut her up. My sister specifically told them only for sleep time, then she gets the latest newsletter and there's a photo of her DD running around with it in her mouth outside!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    most daycares will insist that if a child has a comfort item it should remain in the los bag until rest time.

Sounds like your sister needs to have a word to her daycare director.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

HugsBunny is offline Once upon a time there was a bunny.........
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nemmi View Post
    most daycares will insist that if a child has a comfort item it should remain in the los bag until rest time.

Sounds like your sister needs to have a word to her daycare director.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub
    Yep, your sister definitely needs to speak to the daycare centre.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's up to you and depending on the child it's hard to say what the outcome will be if you remove the dummy now or later.

DS is 22 months and I wouldn't dream of taking the dummy off him yet - I figure he'll decide for himself and I doubt he'll be still sucking it at his 21'st.... However if he starts talking with the dummy in his mouth I will remove it and start only giving it to him at bed time.

Depending on the child you might find - as I have - that he slowly weans himself off it. It's purely a comfort thing for my DS as he has always found comfort in sucking and used to fall asleep on the boob. He likes his dummy but doesn't cry or worry if I take it from him. I wouldn't worry based on your nieces experience though. He is only 10 months I'd say let him have it, but it's up to you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies

My sister did speak to them about it, they insisted they only give it at sleep times! So she was forced to point out the newsletter which they were very embarrassed about. They now claim to never give it to her, but the way she demands it ALL the time at home makes my sister doubt that.

It's good to know perhaps this is not the 'norm' though so I don't need to worry so much yet.