+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    the charity gets 100%, then its split something like 80% to programs, 10% to admin, 10% to the fundraisers... which is peanuts considering how much they put up with... if you help out for a month or so then cancel, you're costing the charity more so don't waste their time... if you're too selfish to help out for long term or can't afford it then don't waste the guys effort... he'd rather you say no straight up, than waste his energy on gutless people who can't say no thank you... they work hard enough to make a big difference in this messed up world which, by the looks of it is more than you're ever going to be doing.
    Last edited by lilme; 05-09-2013 at 01:39.

GrabbyCrabby is offline She is everything I need, that I never knew I wanted... She is everything I want, that I never knew I needed...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    That's harsh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lilme View Post
    the charity gets 100%, then its split something like 80% to programs, 10% to admin, 10% to the fundraisers... which is peanuts considering how much they put up with... if you help out for a month or so then cancel, you're costing the charity more so don't waste their time... if you're too selfish to help out for long term or can't afford it then don't waste the guys effort... he'd rather you say no straight up, than waste his energy on gutless people who can't say no thank you... they work hard enough to make a big difference in this messed up world which, by the looks of it is more than you're ever going to be doing.
    Sorry, but most of the charity workers that come to my house are young backpacking English or Irish people. I hardly think they are doing it to change the world! I would happily donate to every charity door knocker if I could do a one off. Last week, I had someone knock on my door and straight up I told him that I wasn't going to donate at the moment as I already donate to others and he said it was a once off, so I gave him $20 and he gave me a voucher booklet from the charity that also contained the receipt.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    A spam thread bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    the charity gets 100%, then its split something like 80% to programs, 10% to admin, 10% to the fundraisers... which is peanuts considering how much they put up with..
    Not according to this: http://www.couriermail.com.au/busine...-1226174582139

Seven prominent Australian charities spent more than 40 per cent of donations on the "cost of fundraising".

Surf Life Saving Foundation Incorporated was the biggest spender - using 62 per cent of its $23.8 million gross fundraising revenue on administration costs.
    Last edited by 1234Guest; 05-09-2013 at 07:36.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a sign on the door that's about 80% effective. It says

no soliciting- anything- ever

please do not ring the doorbell unless-

My house is on fire

You have an addressed package to deliver

I have won the lottery and you are here with a giant novelty cheque.

wake my sleeping baby and I will not be held responsible for my actions.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to babybabycakes For This Useful Post:

ChickyBee  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We used to have Mormons always come to our door in our old house and usually dh was out the front doing something when they did stop by and he is too polite to brush them off, he talked to them a lot and then that encouraged them to keep coming. It got quite annoying. I started keeping the front gate locked when dh was away at work but they would sit there calling out, I would just get quite abrupt and they got the message and if they came over when dh was home he was sent outside to deal with them, dh got annoyed with them in the end.

The house we are in now though has high solid fencing all round with a "beware of dog" sign so no one attempts to stop by!

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD learned how to open the front gate latch...solution was a small D shackle...reasonably easy for an adult with 2 hands to get off from inside the gate...very difficult to get off from outside the gate. No door knockers since.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have a little no door knockers please sticker on my door. Works every time

Thanks
    Reviews
    What rot!!

As I've previously stated, don't ever donate to door knockers, donate directly to the charity.