+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Can you stop charities etc knocking on your door? (question and vent!)

I have a sign up on my front door saying 'do not knock' ... well a girl collecting for some charity knocked today and when I (stupidly) opened the door, she tried to engage in chit-chat with my kids. When I asked her did she not see the sign, responded 'oh i'm not selling anything, I'm collecting for bla bla bla'. When I said I'm not interested she hit me with the guilt trip 'oh don't you want to help save the children' and a very passive-aggressive 'Have a nice day then" etc etc etc.

Grrr its MY doorbell you rang and MY time you are taking up, I realise you are just doing your job but *don't* hit me with a guilt-trip because i say i'm not interested. I have nothing against donating to charity, don't get me wrong, but i object to people shoving donation boxes in my face and then guilt-tripping me on my own frigging doorstep

OK vent over.

Obviously charities etc are exempt from the donotknock register. How would you get them to stop ringing the doorbell? Any suggestions for wording for a sign I make myself? Any other ideas?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A sign that reads 'i will not donate, if you ring my bell i will release the dog'? Mean but probably affective

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

3. The Following User Says Thank You to GuestMember For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    is there a do not knock register?? i want to sign up for that.

i have a sign that says do not knock shift worker sleeping.
    so means no one at all knock. hopefully they get that hint. maybe add to your sign some reason why? baby sleeping etc even if no baby.. might help

5. The Following User Says Thank You to kim85 For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Put up a sign definitely. Point to the sign if they say they didn't read it. Shut the door.

I've had people knock on the door asking me to give to the blah blah and when I'm not interested had my lifestyle questioned. Come onto my property and tell me I'm rich I can give money? I just point to the sign and say "you have a good day."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubs'n'Roses For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Nemmi that would get the message across!

Quote Originally Posted by kim85 View Post
    is there a do not knock register?? i want to sign up for that.
    yes kim there is, here's the link
    http://donotknock.org.au/

Problem is its only sales people, not campaigners, charities, religious organisations etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gothel For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    im pregnant and have a 1yo and exhausted and got guilt tripped into signing up to donate, credit card information the lot, and i know that stupid, but i just wanted the guy to go away and thought i'd give them a few days to process the paperwork and would call and cancel, so i received a call today from them to confirm my monthly donations...... i was to tired to say to cancel it. As i told the guy originally i wanted to make a one off donation, but thats not an option anymore they commit you to a monthly plan... Aarrrhhh, so i'll be nice and let the first payment go out, then cancel it. But i am annoyed at myself as im usually the first to slam the door shut and not care. Dam pregnancy hormones!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kabe For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    OMG I HATE door knockers. I might just put a sign up. Im so over them coming an trying to guilt trip me into signing up. If I WANT to donate I will, I dont need them coming over every month and waste my time even after I tell them NO. Anyone got any NICE way to say sod off?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cleigh For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012),MrsHoward  (05-09-2013)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    OMG I HATE door knockers. I might just put a sign up. Im so over them coming an trying to guilt trip me into signing up. If I WANT to donate I will, I dont need them coming over every month and waste my time even after I tell them NO. Anyone got any NICE way to say sod off?
    It's not even that though - They are independent of the charity and if you DO donate, they give 100% to the charity, the charity then gives them something obscene like 98% back as a finders fee.

If you're wanting to donate, do it directly to the charity. I tell door knockers and the callers that I prefer to donate directly. Most know exactly how it works, that's how they get paid, so know what I mean when I say that and push off very quickly.

If you're locked into a contract you can get out of it.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    In Victoria, Fair Trading has signs saying "do not knock". If a trader knocks, then they can be fined. However, I don't know offhand if traders includes charitable organisations and their agents, or if they are excluded.

I would contact your state Fair Trading office to make an inquiry as to whether there are any ramifications if they ignore a "do not knock" sign.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I keep my screen door locked - I mention [honestly] I donate to Red Cross - and that is ALL I can afford in my monthly budget.

...and then a screaming loud child from another room in teh house normally gives me the out to say, 'gotta go - good luck with the rest of your day ' - I don'r plan or bribe the screaming child either - it is just pretty much a given in this house if the phone rings or there is a knock at the door.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Gothel  (28-06-2012)