+ Reply to Thread
    LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Elbow Hygroma - Large Breed

Hey All,

I know some of you on here own large and giant breed dogs so just wanted to know if any of you have experienced this?

We have a gorgeous Bull Arab who DP discovered yesterday has an Elbow Hygroma. She had a non painful cystic mass on her elbow. A few days ago it was just a small one (about grape sized) and she is a bit clumsy and we thought she may have just bumped it. However in only a few days it's shot up to about 2 x 2 inches.

DP is taking her to the vets soon, he's booked the app.

I was just curious if any of you with large breed dogs have experienced this and how can it be prevented?

I know they can develop from a dog placing it's elbows too frequently on a hard surface however she is an outside dog with comfy warm and soft bedding (DP spoils her) and nice soft ground. So I'm confused trying to work out how it came about.

Just after stories

Thanks heaps!

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes, had one in a rescue Dobermann, from being kept in a concrete run without bedding for 4 years.

It had obviously gotten bigger over time {they grow quite rapidly in some cases} and was showing signs of tearing at the side. I drained and flushed it, although this was a serious case that had escalated into a full-blown CEH. Yours isn't at that point, thankfully!

Best treatment is to keep the area well cleaned to avoid infection. Provide only soft bedding for the dog; like a memory foam mattress, dog pillow or heated padded bed.
    If it's only developed on one side, encourage the dog to lie or lean on it's other side.
    You can also make padded rests for the area that take pressure off that point, and also rests that make lying on the lump uncomfortable, so they sift their weight off the lump and it has time to recede.
    If you'd like instructions for these rests, let me know and I'll send them along

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Hi There,

Thanks very much for the information TL, I figured you may have an answer I would love some info on those rests if possible please!

Do you think we should have it drained by the vet or just work to let it recede?

I was checking it today and it's not sore/torn or worn at all, just a lump under the skin.

I will ask DP when he gets hom when the vet appoint is.

Thanks again.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    No problem, I'll post them up later for reference in case anyone else has the same problem.

It won't need to be drained unless it's quite large or infected. They're fairly common, especially in large breeds that tend to throw their entire, considerable weight onto their joints.
    The fluid inside the hygroma is *generally* sterile. They're not commonly drained as this opens a gateway for infection.

They can stay at a small size forever, or if left ignored, can swell to massive sizes, tear and become infected. My dobie's one was about the size of a baseball before it was drained!
    Unless it's infected or very large, it can be safely treated with washing, light massage and softer bedding.
    A common method used to drain them is not simply lancing; the hygroma is opened and drains left in place, leaving the fluid to drain into bandages that must be kept clean and changed daily.
    This is for serious cases only. The risk of infection in a joint is too great to risk an un necessary surgery.

However, with small ones, changing bedding is usually enough to subside the lump within 2-4 weeks.
    Your pup.will be fine!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ToughLove For This Useful Post:

LifeInShadesOfGrey  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks very much for the confidence!! We've extra padded her bed and will take on your advice!

Our poor little (well I guess non little) girl seems to just cop everything. This is definately a first for us. I grew up with show Cavaliers and didn't come accross this in my past.

Thanks again!