+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rutabaga is offline Getting it together, one day at a time.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Does anyone have experience with MTHFR?

Hi

I was told yesterday that I have an MTHFR gene mutation. My fs didn't go into detail about it, but reinforced the importance of a healthy lifestyle as people with it have a higher incidence of cardiovascular disease and stroke. I'm not particularly worried as, realistically, I've lived my life without any ill effects and so have lots of other people. What I'm looking for is info from other people about how it's affected their ttc and pregnancy.

Any info would be appreciated! I haven't had much time to look into since finding out, and always feel better when I can understand the whole what, why, when and how of something.

TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi KL - I have but I'm going to have to come back later and reply as my bub is wanting some attention. Will try to post tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

Well firstly there are a few mutations of the gene and you need to find out which one it is in regards to how to treat it.

I have a homozygous MTHFR gene, and basically it affects the way my body produces/processes folic acid. I take Megafol to combat it, which is just 5MG (NOT 5mcg) of folic acid. It's 10 times the normal dose of pregnant women.

Not sure if you have the same thing or not, but I'd be asking more questions if I were you.

Good luck

X

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nat84u For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Nat, I'll be calling the clinic again tomorrow. Fs specifically mentioned blood clots esp in the placenta, strokes and heart attacks.

Ps - good luck with today's bt

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey there fellow darwinite

I have MTHFR, which girle diagnosed last year. I took mega folate as well as baby aspirin. Must have done the trick cause I'm due in 5 weeks.

Did they say how they want to treat it?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini85 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well hello there

Woohoo for the homestretch! Perfect weather for the end of a pregnancy

I've started megafol. Will be treated for nk cells too, so aspirins a go. Was actually hoping for some serious bum kicking blood thinners, but I'll take what I can get. We discussed a few issues that came up, so even though I thought I was crystal clear on details it's all a bit jumbled now. Don't even have IVF brain to blame it on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Haha yeah im only just starting to feel the cold actually. Its pretty good have a built in heater to keep you warm. It sucked during the wet season though.

I was tested for NK cells too, and they told me if it came back positive they were gonna put me on clexane and prednisolone. Wonder why they didn’t put you on that?

Then when I tested for MTHFR, she suggested megafolate, and then she said in true form, you can always take baby aspirin too, it cant hurt to try haha. So I don’t know that I actually needed it, but when I told my ob that I was taking it for MTHFR, he said I had to stay on it. So I still take it now. And after bubs is here, I have to have a shot of clexane and wear those sexy white compression stockings lol.

Just ring them if you are confused about anything. And don’t feel you are wasting her time. That’s her job. I used to bug them about a million things. You can even email them if you don’t want to talk to grumpy woman haha.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Gemini85 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well there must be something in the water up here! I've got the Gene mutation as well and taking pred for possible NK cells.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to troppogirl For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (30-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Finally I've got a chance I have MTHFR (C677T only so am homozygous) and I was put on Mega Folate (5mg) and Mega B vitamins. I also had high level NK cells so was also taking Prednisolone and Aspirin. Some FS will also put you on Clexane. Mine didn't see that it would have much benefit but because I was doing my last cycle ever, he agreed to me using it. I still had ups and downs ttc once I was diagnosed.

1st FET after diagnosis I had a BFP which ended in missed miscarriage at 9 weeks (chromosone abnormality), 2nd FET - BFN, ICSI - Chem Preg which hadn't resolved by 11 weeks so had D&C, 3rd FET - BFN, 4th FET - BFP which gave me my little daughter

In total for me I ended up having 8 transfers, 3 before diagnosis. I continued taking my meds for varying times through my pregnancy. Mega Folate & Mega B up until birth. Prednisolone until 16 weeks, Clexane until 24 weeks and Aspirin until 36 weeks. I found the MTHFR made no difference in my pregnancy as I was already being treated for it so it never really came into the equation.

On a side note - is interesting how many respondants to your thread are/were with Repromed. I was too but in Adelaide

Good luck to everyone with your TTC journey, I wish you all a sticky BFP

15. The Following User Says Thank You to hoping4asticky1 For This Useful Post:

Rutabaga  (30-06-2012)