+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Gold Coast State school recommendations.... Personal opinions welcome!

Hi there,
    My hubby is being transferred with work to the Gold Coast starting in 4 weeks and we are flying up next weekend to look for rentals and schools. We have two daughters at school and two more who will have to start pre school in a few years. Two school age girls are in Prep and Grade 1.

Love to hear recommendations for good state schools. Hubby will be working in Carrara and would love to be no more than 15-20 mins drive away. Places we are considering so far are:
    * Merrimac
    * Carrara
    * Nerang
    * Varsity lakes

Love to hear thoughts of local Mums in the know!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Can I ask if you're looking public or private? And if private are you opposed to Christian or happy with different kinds of private schools.

There are plenty of great school in the areas you are looking at.

Thanks
    Reviews
    At this stage public schools. We have four daughters so private from prep to year 12 would be a bit pricey. Hope to send to private in high school though looking at schools like Varsity College they go from Prep to 12 which sounds great.
    The three schools I have been looking at are:
    * Varsity College
    * Merrimac State
    * Nerang State

The last two based entirely on proximity to where hubby will be working.

Id love to know thoughts on these schools and other possible suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gosh I can understand. Four girls through private would be very hard.
    I am a teacher, I know quite a bit about the local private schools but only a little about state schools in the area. Just by reputation.
    Varsity college I have heard very good things about. I have a friend whose sister is a teacher there. Havent heard anything bad.
    I'm not sure about Merrimac but on a guess I would imagine its better than Nerang. Nerang does not have a great reputation.
    Have you thought about across the highway on mudgeeraba? Theres a school there called Clover Hill. It seems quite good too.
    Probably worth a drive around for you and you could get a 'feel' of the area.

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Hopefully someone else will reply!!!!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

skyandphoenix  (29-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I went to Nerang Primary from grade 2 - 7 and i do not have one bad thing to say about it or one bad memory..... but this was 13 years ago since i finished grade 7 though.

I adored every teacher in that school even if they werent my day to day teacher. One teacher left such a wonderful impression on me that i still to this day wonder where she is and what she is doing. I'd love to give her a big hug and say a huge thankyou.

I am still in touch with most of my friends from that school also even though i've moved to north queensland.

No recent experience though.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Bennos Mummy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hi,

Merrimac primary has a great name. Our neighbours kids go there - they only have good things to say. I also know a prep teacher there. She is very happy working there - has been for many years.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to teenie For This Useful Post: