+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had the exact same problem with DS. The first 3 weeks were horrendous for me. My advice is either the same as what you've been given or is what you're already doing so while I have no words of wisdom, I just wanted you to know it's common, you're not doing anything wrong and if you end up comp feeding, then so be it. You can always go back to full time BFing later on. I basically did block feeding, lots of lansinoh, walked around with my boobs hanging out (classy.....and there wasn't even alcohol involved!) and fed in the football hold. The change in hold was the biggest help to me. They do heal quickly though and I kid you not, the improvement once they healed was almost instantaneous.

And remember to relax before a feed. Being anxious makes it worse. Whip out the old CalmBirth techniques

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I had a rough few weeks with feeding DD due to cracked nipples. We got through it with nipple shields & copious amounts of lanolin. A little milk & fresh air helped too.

Regarding supply, keep demand feeding. If you are really worried you could try some natural milk production boosting things- there is a thread on this in the breastfeeding section.

If you need advice/tips/help breastfeeding etc, you could also call the Australian Breastfeeding Association hotline (can't recall the number sorry)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep I was here a long time ago. I had bleeding cracked nipples and got mastitis twice before he was 6 weeks old. It does get better I promise!

I never used nipple shields but did different holds and slathered myself in lanolin cream. At my hospital as well they sold these funny little patches you would put over your nipples between feeds. I can't remember what they are called but they were SO soothing and nice and cool and had alot of healing goodies in it. Highly recommend those!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks all - it is so hard knowing what to do and for us formula top ups would be a lat resort. I just don't want a hungry baby though. The MCHN says he has lost weight although it was 100g and was just before he was due a feed so I'm not 100% convinced. He is getting re-weighed tomorrow.

I am also booking in with an LC for later this week.

Not being able to express makes it extra hard as I can't top him up.

I will try and breathe through the pain for now as I know me being tense does not help with milk flow.

I have been doing mainly cradle hold but also some football hold recently. Don't think it is making a difference just yet though... Will keep switching it up.

I had a pretty traumatic birth but am at the point of thinking that BF is even harder than that... At least labour didn't last as long!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Also, I did use nipple shields for 24 hours and a day later started getting supply issues. Not sure if that is a coincidence or not. He also pulled them off so not right for us unfortunately as they did help with the pain a lot!

BabushkaMumma is offline Mothering with my whole heart as thats what my girls have given me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Some great advice already

I also think that the gel discs are helpful too, as is breastmilk on the nipples.

Hopefully you have some nice cotton feeding bras too - nothing too scratchy either. I found I was better off being in a crop top feeding bra (from best and less) than being bra-less as my nipples would rub on my shirt..

I used to distract my mind from the extreme sensitivity by thinking about something else too and trying not to focus on it as best I could, but other times I just squirmed

Did you mention why your switch feeding - sorry I missed that. Could you block feed? That would reduce the swapping too..also please don't be too focused on the weightloss unless it becomes overly drastic.

My DD went from 3.22 to 3.00 the first week but had amazing access to supply as I was tandem feeding and didn't have to wait for my milk to change. She picked up again slowly but I can see now, 6 months on that it does resemble her metabolism (as it did match my toddler who just put on weight non stop when she was this age & as a newborn)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry your having troubles. I found nipple shields got me through those cracked nipple weeks. If baby's a restless feeder and pulling them off wet them with water before you apply them, better suction that way and angel wrap (light muslin wrap with hands up next to head so you can still feed) baby's arms to stop them clawing it off. A midwife in hospital showed me that cause my first clawed like mad.
    Lansinoh cream (natural and doesn't need to be washed off) is gold.
    Switching positions regularly to change the point of most pressure.
    Yes working on the expressing to boost supply and get extra into baby after a feed. And like you have already organised, seeing a LC.
    Sounds like you are doing everything you can and doing a great job.
    It does get better and if you can get through this hard time your feeding will become much easier on the other side.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ur doing great to keep trying...
    Breastfeeding is really hard and there just isn't enough readily available support for it unless u go searching. I think hospital aftercare should stretch out to giving full support to breastfeeding mums without leaving them to fend for themselves a d work it out amongst all the tiredness etc associated with a new bub.
    Try the yellow pawpaw cream... I had issues last week and it really helped overnight...
    Hang in there...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same problem for up to 6 weeks, DD is just 8 weeks now and it's only getting better from 6 weeks onwards. I had low supply initially and used formula top ups for 3 weeks, yep and I cried thinking of having to feed her, and had to take panadol and nurofen, and I had vasospasms for hours after each feed. I rotate between expressing, different holds each feed (to rotate the trauma around) and nipple shields. As they get older and bigger they get more developed and things eventually get better. I've seen LC's 4 times and had chiro twice all to no avail! Initially I beat myself up over the formula and the guilt of not able to give my child the best of the best, but it's really not the end of the world. As long as the baby is growing healthily and you're a happy mum.

Thanks
    Reviews
    RITE AID HYDROGEL BREAST PADS They are the best things ever ! no need for creams or anything pop them on between feeds and even store in the fridge and you will heal up nice a fast. I was just like you went to a LC who said I was doing everything correctly, it was just so hard to tell because I was so sore and hadn't had a chance to heal. After a couple of days with these I felt great . . . also I found until baby and myself learnt what we were doing a had to hold her and my breast to make it easier ( I have big boobies ) so thats another thing to think about