+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Sore nipples and hungry baby

My nipples are pretty sore and damaged and it's really getting me down and making me dread feeding my baby (10 days old). I cannot express as unfortunately this is making it worse with the friction

I have seen an LC and my attachment is good now but they are old injuries that are just not healing ad I feel like they are actually getting worse.

At the moment we are having issues where bub falls asleep on the breast pretty quickly so I am doing switch feeding (twice each side). This obviously means he has to attach more often that usual which is not helping with the pain.

He is also not getting nearly enough milk and concerned he is not getting enough hind milk with the switch feeding. My supply seems pretty low at the moment which is ironic as I had painful engorgement last week.

It just seems like one thing after another. Since I can't express I am thinking I will need to comp feed which is not what I wanted but I don't know what else we can do...

Any tips would be great. Will my nipples eventually just toughen up and heal up? I am using Lansinoh on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I found early on the football hold was the only pain free hold from my cracked and bleeding nipple (only one side had issues). Have you tried different holds? *hugs* I hope the pain eases for you soon

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs E For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You could try using nipple shields temporarily. I had to use them to get me through a painful period early on. It was only for around two weeks then we were ok to keep going without them. They may help you get through this painful period while your nipples heal and continue feeding. I used pigeon ones and found them great. Have never tried any other brand so couldn't give you an opinion on them.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kw1975 For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (27-06-2012)

Shhh, blowing Flo rider's whistle and making Usher scream...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh hunny
    sore nipples are the worst. It's so unfair. Nipple protectors?. Ur using the best cream tho. It's not the end of the world to comp feed, to allow ur self to physically heal. It then also takes time to mentally heal as well as ur brain remembers the pain and u automatically withdraw. All leads to affecting ur supply. But u know all this. Keep up with the LCNif u need to. Try not to stress sweetie and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Try squeezing a bit of milk out after each feed and rub it into your nipples, then just let it dry like that.

I also found that a cold compress helped after feeds.

I had pain and cracking with DS and these were the only things that made it heal. Mind you it did still take a week or so.

Good luck and I hope you are getting some relief soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I know how you feel, in fact I still have deep scars on my nipples from DD1, so yes they do heal. The pain is awful, but if you can get through it it will be worth it, I would give it 3 more weeks. Nipple shields, football hold all worked for me, hydrogel discs and sun on your nipples too. I cried and bled through every feed for 6 wks and went on to bf for a year more. The fullness of your breasts are a poor indicator of supply. Personally I would stop the switch feed and do one breast per feed to ensure bub gets lots of hindmilk.
    If all else fails, you have other options and there is nothing wrong with that. Good luck.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found Rite-aid gel pads really good. I also used nipple shields for a little while until they healed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try Nipple shields, football hold & paw paw cream. Get the yellow one which is the natural one not the red.
    Try to persevere.... It will heal soon.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

Breastfeeding can be really really hard! Personally I think pushing a baby out is a walk in the park compare to breastfeeding.

Different positions will help heal your nipples. Perfect attachment is also critical. Don't stress over hind milk/fore milk, just let baby feed until they come off.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Your story sounds like mine. DS is now nearly 17 months and we got through it eventually. He was having feeding issues which I believe in the end was due to a slight tongue tie, even though EVERYONE told me he didn't. He was feeding long periods but never satisfied and I was getting engorgement issues and ended up with Mastitis twice, which caused me to quit BF. So be careful with the engorging and you may have some blockage causing bubs struggle to feed.
    I had the cracked and bleeding nipples and pushed through, breast milk was great for healing but I also tried nipple shields which were great until DS worked out how to pull them off (even at a few weeks old).
    I'm not telling you to quit, but it was the right decision for me as I couldn't handle getting mastitis again and no one had any reasons for my issues so was too stressful.
    But I hope you can fix the issue and have bub BF properly, and you heal up great too! Good luck.