+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm thinking of buying a couple of books - Baby Love & Save Our Sleep...I've already got What to Expect When you're Expecting at home...

Any opinions, or anything else you think is a great and informative read for pregnancy or newborns??

Thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do some research into how your hormone levels change after birth! knowledge is power and when you find yourself crying because of something silly like the cat is outside on day 3 you will understand why and wont be freaking out that you have pnd!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1009 View Post
    I'm thinking of buying a couple of books - Baby Love & Save Our Sleep...I've already got What to Expect When you're Expecting at home...

Any opinions, or anything else you think is a great and informative read for pregnancy or newborns??

Thank you!
    Save our Sleep is a bit controversial on here lol! I've read it, but I like Babybliss MUCH better. Also Pinky McKay is good. A friend loves The Baby Whisperer books but it's very much routine based, etc. It just made me feel inadequate.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    thanks for your help ladies -

good advice rbottom - will keep this in mind
    I'll have a look into babybliss and picky mckay - I don't think I want anything routine based - just the advice to be able to make up my own routines I guess??

mum2one99 i think it certainly must be a controversial book as lots of ladies are saying this so I think I'll leave it on the shelf...Baby Love I think I'll buy for sure. There is also a What to Expect In the First Year - has anyone read this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Thank you!
    I enjoyed "Up the duff" by Kaz Cooke. It may not be to everyones taste but i found it helpful and entertaining.

Other tips are simple ones like

-sleep when baby is sleeping.
    -dont be afraid to ask for help.
    -I used lots of baby blankets. Lighter ones sometimes ended up being used for catching vomit.
    -take care of yourself! You cant look after a newborn if you arent looking after yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sl1009 my dh bought me the what to expect first years book and I think it's great! My little monkey is 8 weeks now and it's good to be able to go through the book just like the pregnancy one does month by month!

Thanks
    Reviews
    re books on baby sleep routine,
    on a thread someone said that from all the sleep/ routine books, there is one thats the easiest to read that summarises them all called

the baby sleep solution
    a proven program to teach your baby to sleep twelve hours a night
    b suzy giordana the baby coach.

i never had my babies in routines, but many people have and its really helped them. I have read most of the book and found it easy to read, informative interesting, so you may want to go with that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by mum2one99 View Post

Save our sleep is not for many people. Ok as a reference for ideal sleep times but waking sleeping babies at 7am and forcing awake babies to sleep ain't my style. Nevermnd the screams of indignation if my Bubs were ever made to wait for a scheduled hour to feed lol! Not a chance :-)
    The book doesn't really promote waking sleeping babies and forcing awake ones to sleep. Or not feeding hungry babies. The routines are worked out so that average awake/sleep times and feeding needs are adhered to ... Routines are listed by age groups but in reality (and this is in the book) babies sleep/feed needs are more impacted by their weight so parents should use their common sense when moving through routines.

I follow SOS and only had to wake bub a couple of times until his body clock re-set. Most of the time (after the initial couple of days) bub IS sleepy at bedtime. If bub starts to protest going to sleep the book suggests its time to move to the next routine (with longer awake times).... Even if bub isnt yet old enough.

And as for feeding once i started on the routines my bub never cried for a feed as the routine had me feeding him before he became starving. I remember pre routine bub crying for feeds as I'd obviously misjudged.

So since starting SOS My bub has never cried for a feed, rarely whinged throughout the day and slept for 8-9 hours at night from about 8 weeks and 12 hours from 3 months.

Hope that clarifies things.
    Last edited by VicPark; 11-08-2012 at 08:04.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

SL1009  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Thank you!
    I would not recommend SOS at all as I find the settling methods advocated by the author too cold for my liking. Plus the bedding recommendations are against SIDS guidelines.

I find dr sears, Elizabeth pantley and pinky McKay much more supportive and their suggestions in line with my parental philosophies.
    Last edited by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah; 11-08-2012 at 09:06.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Izy  (05-11-2012),Sarelou  (24-08-2012),SL1009  (13-08-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    One great book I'm reading right now is Happiest Baby on the Block Guide to Great Sleep