+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Winter, breast feeding and co sleeping are a perfect match!

Ignore most housework.

Try to avoid making appointments... It sucks when u have to wake a sleeping baby to make it on time.

Learn what your baby likes rather than worrying about what everyone else does. Mine didn't like swaddling so we just never did it.

Put a folded towel under your baby of a night... So if it spews or wets through u only have to change that one towel. Easy for night spews too cos no stuffing around with changing sheets.

Breast feed... When your baby is sick, it can be so much better. There were so many times it would have been better or me and dd if I was breast feeding.

If you do use bottles, take way more than you need when you go out. You never know when you might be held up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Oh and don't waste your money on crappy bibs, spend the $ and buy silly Billy's bibs. They don't soak through and don't stain. I still had ds's, they were still in great condition and ds2 is still using them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    "If in doubt boob it out" is my mantra. Quickest way to shush them up.

Babies are happiest next to mums skin so get an ergo and let them live there for the first six months. You can bf whilst wearing one of them and life continues.

My newbie (2wks) old only comes out at bath time then cot to sleep overnight. Otherwise she is in the ergo or capsule in the car.

Throw out any book that reckons little babies should sleep thru the night very young. It's not good for them or your milk supply. It will also make your life easier than trying to force an unnatural schedule on a baby.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

wrena  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subcribing..
    Great Thread.
    Thanks Everyone..

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought of another pre-birth one...

When buying feeding bras, make sure that when you release the clasp (as if you would before you feed) your whole nipple and breast are exposed. Don't rely on sales assistants to sell you an appropriate bra - no matter where you buy it from.

Sounds obvious, but I went somewhere very reputed to get 3 feeding bras in the last few weeks of my pregnancy, dropped $150 and, once in hospital with only those bras, realised that only half of my nipple was exposed when I undid the clasp.

Nightmare - I ended up having to take by bra off every feed for 3 weeks until I made it to the shops to spend more money on more bras. After about a year of feeding I managed to use the dud lot of bras - but they were just too hard to manage when breastfeeding was a new concept that both DS and I were learning.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

Mom2TwoDSs  (12-09-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    12 weeks with my first - subscribing - looks like a very helpful thread

Thanks
    Reviews
    A few things that helped me in the first few months:

- do a big bulk shop at Costco or somewhere similar for non perishable supplies like nappies, wipes, tinned food, pasta, cleaning stuff etc and have your milk, dairy, bread, fruit/veg and meat delivered by somewhere like Aussie Farmers - this SAVED my life because it meant I didn't have to brave the supermarket with two kids. It also saved us a stack of money buying in bulk.
    - I second the freezing of meals beforehand, this made life so much easier for us, both when I was in hospital and afterwards.
    - It might not work for everyone, but when I had people wanting to visit I would arrange it for the morning and then make appointments ie. GP, MCHN afterwards. That way there was only a set time they could visit before I would say, ok we'd better be going soon! I felt bad telling people to leave but some visitors seriously like to overstay!
    - On the appointments, I would try to make my appointments on separate days so that we had a bit of structure to our weeks.
    -Try to get out and go for a walk with the pram as often as you can, even if you just end up going around the block, I promise you will feel 100% better once you get out in the fresh air.
    - As we were on a budget I tried to avoid shopping centres as I found I would end up overspending on clothes etc. Instead I visited the library a lot - it's free and I could sit and read a mag if bub was asleep in the pram and my eldest could browse through the books.

I hope that helps .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have a bag at the door ready to go with nappies, a change of clothes, snacks etc so when you have to go out you just grab the bag, baby and go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Get onto Coles click and collect...bloody awesome!!

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

Amira  (10-08-2012),nelle7250  (11-08-2012)