+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I read somewhere before I had my first about making your bed when you first got up in the morning so you can always say you did something for the day!!!
    It really works, 3 kids later and I still always achieve 1 thing for the day.

Another wrap me up fan.

When feeling overwhelmed at home with the baby, leaving the house for a walk or a trip to the shops for a coffee was a blessing.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sweetpeamummy For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Great question! Some of my thougths relate to pre-baby planning/purchases, not sure if they'll be helpful...

- get onesies/all in ones, rompers. No tshirts or other items that ride up. Get ones with press studs down the middle and built in feet. The over the head ones, or the press stud down one leg ones may be cute but they are ANNOYING when you are changing 10 nappies a day and you'll avoid them. Also, in my experience, socks quite simply do not stay on.

- seriously considert a steriliser. I expressed and gave DS the milk in a bottle at around 7pm as my boobs just seemed to have run out at that time of day. He also used dummies from day 5 (he just loved to suck and cracked it if he couldn't). We spent the first 3 weeks almost constantly boiling water on the stove to sterlise/burning ourselves.

- Take small necked bibs to hospital. Much easier to whip a bib off than change a whole outfit.

- Take more tops than you think you'll need to hospital. Nothing worse than having leaky boobs, visitors, and a grotty top!

- Do what you feel you need to with the housework. Cut yourself some slack though. Life as you know it is wonderfully/challengingly turned on its head early on. Personally, the mess bugged me, but I had bigger things to focus on/worry about.

- Sleep when your baby sleeps if you feel like a day sleep. Even 20 mins will make a difference (if power naps work physiologically on the road, they work elsewhere too).

- Consider a capsule rather than a rear-facing carseat (you can get ones that last for 12 months). This may not be financially feasible for everyone, but I went in search of one when DS was 4 months old, not sleeping, and impossible to leave the house with. He'd sleep in the car but wake if I tried to remove him (eg for a dr's appointment). This was so unbelievably stressful. I spent so many hours sitting in my car silently, parked one street away from my own lest my dog should bark and wake my son. The capsule made a real difference to being able to move in and out of my home.

- Read books if it helps you, but don't take them as gospel. There are many books on the same subjects, many of which offer different and often contradictory advice. Just because your child doesn't do what the book says doesn't mean there is something wrong/there isn't something wrong. Trust your gut and ignore people when they knowingly, smuggly ask "is s/he your first?"

- take advice from others with a grain of salt. This is often particularly the case with advice from the older generation. Yes, they've done it all before. But some time ago, and things change, ideas and research and medicine and lots of other things have moved forward.

- If people come over to visit you and expect to be waited on, flip it around. When BIL and SIL cam over when DS was 1 week old they asked for a cup of tea. DH said, "Sure, we'll have one too thanks (ie get it yourself, and bring us one)." I could have kissed him!

- Freeze as many meals as you can for when you're first home.

- Stock up on things like nappies, wipes, baby wash etc. I took me some months to feel confident about going on an outing for these sorts of supplies. I don't know why I didn't get them beforehand, I guess I just didn't know what to buy and how much. Things like wipes and baby wash will continue to be used for months, so you're unlikely to get too much.

- Get a couple of different bum creams (Bepanthen and Sudocrem are the one's we've found the best). You'll eventually use them all and its nice to be able to try another if the first one isn't working, without having to go out to the chemist.

- If you're having a winter baby, get a couple of pairs of pyjamas with button down tops for you. I had only over the head-type tops and found I was freezing in the middle of the night after a 1 hour feed.

- Consider Sustagen to have when you're feeding. I really struggled with making myself food in the early days - and at least a cold glass of this (no hot drinks around babies!!) meant I had something to 'eat'.

- If you're considering a breast pump, have a look at the battery operated ones rather than the hand operated ones. I did a lot of expressing in the early days, and a hand operated one seriously would have given me RSI! If you're able to afford one (we weren't) consider a double pump (ie expresses both boobs at ocne) - it'll halve the time spent pumping.

That's probably enough from me. Hope I've helped someone!
    Last edited by ricepudding; 27-06-2012 at 23:03.

4. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

adden  (01-01-2013),BluePixie  (28-06-2012),BornToBe  (19-11-2012),bubbalove83  (29-06-2012),Chillies  (09-08-2012),CrystalS11  (01-01-2014),GreenMama  (28-06-2012),αληθη  (01-01-2013),Koberose  (27-06-2012),Laydeebugxxx  (19-11-2012),Loulou76  (28-06-2012),MINIRoo  (13-11-2012),Mom2TwoDSs  (12-09-2012),MRR1006  (27-06-2012),nelle7250  (11-08-2012),Pen14  (27-06-2012),rach85  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ricepudding View Post
    Great question! Some of my thougths relate to pre-baby planning/purchases, not sure if they'll be helpful...

- get onesies/all in ones, rompers. No tshirts or other items that ride up. Get ones with press studs down the middle and built in feet. The over the head ones, or the press stud down one leg ones may be cute but they are ANNOYING when you are changing 10 nappies a day and you'll avoid them. Also, in my experience, socks quite simply do not stay on.

- seriously considert a steriliser. I expressed and gave DS the milk in a bottle at around 7pm as my boobs just seemed to have run out at that time of day. He also used dummies from day 5 (he just loved to suck and cracked it if he couldn't). We spent the first 3 weeks almost constantly boiling water on the stove to sterlise/burning ourselves.

- Take small necked bibs to hospital. Much easier to whip a bib off than change a whole outfit.

- Take more tops than you think you'll need to hospital. Nothing worse than having leaky boobs, visitors, and a grotty top!

- Do what you feel you need to with the housework. Cut yourself some slack though. Life as you know it is wonderfully/challengingly turned on its head early on. Personally, the mess bugged me, but I had bigger things to focus on/worry about.

- Sleep when your baby sleeps if you feel like a day sleep. Even 20 mins will make a difference (if power naps work physiologically on the road, they work elsewhere too).

- Consider a capsule rather than a rear-facing carseat (you can get ones that last for 12 months). This may not be financially feasible for everyone, but I went in search of one when DS was 4 months old, not sleeping, and impossible to leave the house with. He'd sleep in the car but wake if I tried to remove him (eg for a dr's appointment). This was so unbelievably stressful. I spent so many hours sitting in my car silently, parked one street away from my own lest my dog should bark and wake my son. The capsule made a real difference to being able to move in and out of my home.

- Read books if it helps you, but don't take them as gospel. There are many books on the same subjects, many of which offer different and often contradictory advice. Just because your child doesn't do what the book says doesn't mean there is something wrong/there isn't something wrong. Trust your gut and ignore people when they knowingly, smuggly ask "is s/he your first?"

- take advice from others with a grain of salt. This is often particularly the case with advice from the older generation. Yes, they've done it all before. But some time ago, and things change, ideas and research and medicine and lots of other things have moved forward.

- If people come over to visit you and expect to be waited on, flip it around. When BIL and SIL cam over when DS was 1 week old they asked for a cup of tea. DH said, "Sure, we'll have one too thanks (ie get it yourself, and bring us one)." I could have kissed him!

- Freeze as many meals as you can for when you're first home.

- Stock up on things like nappies, wipes, baby wash etc. I took me some months to feel confident about going on an outing for these sorts of supplies. I don't know why I didn't get them beforehand, I guess I just didn't know what to buy and how much. Things like wipes and baby wash will continue to be used for months, so you're unlikely to get too much.

- Get a couple of different bum creams (Bepanthen and Sudocrem are the one's we've found the best). You'll eventually use them all and its nice to be able to try another if the first one isn't working, without having to go out to the chemist.

- If you're having a winter baby, get a couple of pairs of pyjamas with button down tops for you. I had only over the head-type tops and found I was freezing in the middle of the night after a 1 hour feed.

- Consider Sustagen to have when you're feeding. I really struggled with making myself food in the early days - and at least a cold glass of this (no hot drinks around babies!!) meant I had something to 'eat'.

- If you're considering a breast pump, have a look at the battery operated ones rather than the hand operated ones. I did a lot of expressing in the early days, and a hand operated one seriously would have given me RSI! If you're able to afford one (we weren't) consider a double pump (ie expresses both boobs at ocne) - it'll halve the time spent pumping.

That's probably enough from me. Hope I've helped someone!
    Wow! My first is due in 4 weeks... Can I bring you home with the baby? You would help so much to have around lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD is 12 weeks old and this is what I've learnt:

Just aim for the 6 week mark. You will get there, it will be hard and beautiful and fabulous and terrible, but you will get there.

Get a dressing gown. It's easy to throw on at 3am when baby needs a change.

Have a friend or two "on call" for when you've got questions. Ideally they will have young children and have a similar philosophy on life as you. Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions. Also, the ABA and presumably Karitane and Tresillian are just as good. They're there to help and are so good to talk to!

Always, always, always trust your instincts. Always. Don't second guess yourself.

Ignore advice that goes against your instinct, even if you asked for it.

Enjoy your snuggles! Look into baby wearing. It's so awesome

Allow your DP time and space to get to know his/her role. Don't hover, don't correct (other than for safety). Absolutely expect shared care of your baby. They'll only learn how to change nappies/cook dinner/clean kitchen/do laundry and settle/massage/bath baby through experience, just like you. Besides, it's good for baby to experience the love they have, too!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Koberose View Post
    Wow! My first is due in 4 weeks... Can I bring you home with the baby? You would help so much to have around lol
    Ha ha! So pleased to maybe help. Would be more than happy to offer any other experience once bubs is here - please feel free to PM me. You'll be an expert in no time!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ricepudding For This Useful Post:

Koberose  (28-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Lots of frozen meals

Learn the tired signs and hunger signs

Wrap Me Ups are awesome!!

Be aware of the support services available to you - clinics, helplines, PND resources just in case

Accept help with house work so you can rest

Be firm and stand your ground with pushy relatives who want to hold the baby all the time - they get overstimulated so easily (the baby, not the relo's!)

Make the bassinet up with layers - mattress protector, sheet, mattress protector, sheet etc. If bub vomits or leaks in bed at 2am you can just remove a set of bedding and have a clean one underneath - no making up beds at ridiculous o'clock when you should be sleeping!

If you're in a two storey house, set up a change station upstairs and downstairs with nappies, wipes, a change of clothes. So much easier that trudging up and down the stairs all the time!

And finally, try to relax and enjoy your newborn!!!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

Disbride  (19-11-2012),MINIRoo  (13-11-2012)

rainbow road is offline look at the stars, look how they shine for you
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yes, I don't have newborns but having some nappies/wipes handy in all the areas you're most likely to be is awesome - your bedroom, the lounge room, bubs nursery...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    awesome thread, subbing

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Set a goal for breastfeeding. It's not easy to start but it DOES get easier!
    My first goal was 6 weeks, it took us both that long how to learn to do it together. After that it was 6 months, with my ultimate goal being 2 years.

Ask for help if you need it. You're not a failure if you don't know something.

If you co sleep it is great for getting rest but I had to move DS out for a few months to another room and then back in to mine. I wasn't sleeping in the beginning because I would wake up at the first noise he made even if he was asleep.

Don't compare yourself to other parents. They aren't you and they don't have your baby.

Get a carrier. DS had reflux and I could not put him down without him crying in pain. Him being in a carrier was the only way I got things done!

Change of weather/environment would help stop crying. Sometimes (not always) it was as simple as walking outside.