+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Re: what hints/help made the first 6 months easier for you being a new mum pls?

I have never heard of placenta capsules until a few weeks ago. Who would you take it to to get that done? I'm in a small town so would have no idea if it's even possible here.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default what hints/help made the first 6 months easier for you being a new mum pls?

Quote Originally Posted by mrsreed View Post
    I realise this may not be for everyone bit consider having your placenta encapsulated and ingesting the tablets. I did this and didn't have any baby blues and recovered from my birth very quickly. Your placenta contains so many vitamins and minerals that are essential for your well being and are normally just thrown in the medical waste bin. Placenta ingestion is so common in many cultures as well as in the animal world and if you have it encapsulated its really not at all gross. They dehydrate it, crush it up and then put it inside capsules, it looks just like vitamin tablets and doesn't taste like anything. I realise this will be a bit out there for some people but its definitely worth considering

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using BubHub
    I was going to eat it, then read this in a magazine one of the pregnancy ones. I was wondering if you could tell me what service you used? Don't you just send it off & then they send it back? How much did it cost?? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews

Default what hints/help made the first 6 months easier for you being a new mum pls?

Feeding on demand, babywearing, co-sleeping and taking it EASY.

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by squishie View Post
    Get hold of a video showing tired signs. That would have made my life much easier in the first few weeks! I wouldn't have sat on the couch feeding and feeding for hours every evening when he was actually tired!!

I was convinced that he was hungry when he sucked on his fists, but that was his tired sign at the time d'oh!
    ^^^ This! I always thought my baby was hungry when sucking on his fists and it wasn't until 6 weeks in that I read that fist sucking was also a tired sign!

I also downloaded a white noise app which never failed to get my son to sleep within a few minutes.

Good Luck! The first 6 weeks were the hardest I thought. I felt like my normal self again after 6 weeks - I guess hormones etc subsided and I no longer had any pain from c section.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Re: what hints/help made the first 6 months easier for you being a new mum pls?

Quote Originally Posted by DueInAugust View Post
    I have never heard of placenta capsules until a few weeks ago. Who would you take it to to get that done? I'm in a small town so would have no idea if it's even possible here.

Sent from my LG-P500 using BubHub
    Hi dueinaugust,
    We had a doula who did placenta encapsulation but she also does it for anyone who would like it done, whether they are using her as their doula or not.
    Apparently the placenta can be kept in the right conditions in the fridge for up to a week so even if you can't find someone close by who does the service perhaps you could find someone who's willing to travel to pick it up?

Thanks
    Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by mrsreed View Post
    I realise this may not be for everyone bit consider having your placenta encapsulated and ingesting the tablets. I did this and didn't have any baby blues and recovered from my birth very quickly. Your placenta contains so many vitamins and minerals that are essential for your well being and are normally just thrown in the medical waste bin. Placenta ingestion is so common in many cultures as well as in the animal world and if you have it encapsulated its really not at all gross. They dehydrate it, crush it up and then put it inside capsules, it looks just like vitamin tablets and doesn't taste like anything. I realise this will be a bit out there for some people but its definitely worth considering

I did this too and I agree with your post. It was $200 well spent IMO and the lady who did mine had the capsules to me within 24 hrs of the birth. If anyone is in Adelaide - I used Elemental Beginnings. I highly recommend them.

I still have some capsules leftover in the freezer (DS is nearly 6 months old) and I take one capsule if I'm feeling particularly tired or worn out.

I also have some awesome photos of the placenta before encapsulation. Some might find it gross but I thought the pics were really interesting!

Thanks
    Reviews

Things that made the first 6 months easier:

Feed bub as much as they want and try not to compare their feeding habits with other babies, it will drive you mad!

I wish I had known that my baby was hungry and wanted to cluster feed at witching hour. It took weeks of screaming for us to work it out.

You don't have to change the babies nappy every time they cry. I went through a lot of nappies for no reason! As a first time mum I had no idea how often to change a nappy.

Invest in a snuza or breathing sensor mat, I wouldn't have slept a wink without one.

Get a good breastfeeding pillow, if you can't afford one then just get a V shaped bed pillow. It makes it much easier to feed.

Get out of the house, even if you look terrible and can't be bothered doing your hair/makeup/changing clothes. Taking bub for a walk in his stroller was a godsend for me. Just being out in the sun and feeling the breeze was AMAZING.

Baby sleeping bags are great if you have a wiggly baby. I wish I had put DS in them from birth... It would have saved a lot of wrapping and re-wrapping at night.

Take help from anyone that offers it.

Do what you feel is right. I think that is most important

Thanks
    Reviews

One big thing for me was when I started to trust my instincts more. It could've saved me a lot of upset had I trusted them from the start! Also, having a book such as what to expect in the first year to hand can be useful for looking up development stages, problems, etc

Sent from my HTC One X using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    1) Online grocery shopping – truly a lifesaver in the first few weeks when going to the shops can feel like an insurmountable task!
    2) Lamp with a dimmer so I can do night-time feeds and nappy changes without fully waking the baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I subbed when pregnant and now have a gorgeous 4 month old boy!

- books are a waste of time and money but if you do get one the 'what to expect' books are good - I've maybe opened it twice since he's been born

- lots of people told us that you don't need lots of newborn clothing / nappies this is WRONG!! My DS was 3.8kg and still in newborn / 0000 clothes and newborn nappies until around 6 weeks.

- I use disposable nappies but have cloth nappies all over the house as burping clothes - very handy!

- infant breathing pads in the bassinet / cot - excellent - wouldn't have slept without them!

- products...lansinoh nipple cream is out of this world amazing lol!! Have used Gaia wipes, powder and skin soothing lotion (as barrier cream) and they have worked a treat...no bad nappy rashes and they are all organic. Newly discovered Aveeno Baby Moisturiser...my son had really bad dry skin and even the Gaia products didn't work...aveeno is AMAZING

- don't buy a bumbo until your bubs is old enough to use it (full head control). We didn't buy ours it was a gift but by the time he could use it, he didn't fit!

- use eBay to but baby clothes...we have bought so much cute stuff brand new with tags from eBay for very cheap

- if you have wood floors I would highly recommended investing in a large play mat...we have a dwinguler large one which takes up our whole lounge area but its fantastic...we can lie on the floor with bubs, he has his play gym on there and it's padded and safe and cool designs easy to clean and fantastic

Can't think of anything else for now!!