+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Help with severe morning sickness

Hi All,
    First time mum, and first time bubhub user. I am currently 10 weeks pregnant, and have never been so sick before in my life. Currently in my 5th week of feeling like this.. "Morning sickness" as others have mentioned isn't really the right term, its all day, all night, constant. I have not yet lost any weight due to the morning sickness, however have not gained any either. I am sick constantly, and have now been off work for 2 weeks as I am unable to take myself away from the bathroom long enough to do even a simple task like going to the supermarket.

I am constantly exhausted, and vomit 80% of what I eat and drink back up, or up within 2 hours of consuming. Unfortunately (or fortunately for them) none of my family or extended family have been sick like this, so it is a very lonesome feeling, and I feel as if no one can relate (until I read some posts on here)

I have tried Zofran and cannot take it as I had adverse reactions to it, I have tried Maxalon, which again had bad side effects, and stemetil which has done nothing to assist in how I feel.

Getting out of bed makes me throw up, really any movement makes me feel ill, even laying still doesn't really help to be honest. I understand that there is no miracle cure, because if there was I am sure anyone reading this post would be on it. Do the sea bands work at all? I am looking in to getting these. I have been advised by my OBGYN that he would like to admit me into hospital on an IV which may help. I am struggling to accept this and make this choice as I am stubborn and really don't like to be in such a debilitating position. Has anyone done this, and has it been of any assistance?

I am clutching at straws here, feeling like this is very depressing, my husband is very supportive, however trying to pick up the slack on the other end having lost my wage at the moment. Its a very isolating feeling and would be happy to take on board any advice that can be given....

Thanks again!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My doc put me on restavit (it's a sleeping tablet that somehow reduces nausea) and vit b6 tablets. It helped quite a bit. It's so awful going through it - I hope you get some relief soon xo

abiishu is offline embrace your inner birthing goddess
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My morning sickness was not as bad as yours, but I really found the travel sickness bands helpful.

They are only about $15 from the chemist so get hubby to pick some up for you and give them a go. You have nothing to lose so worth a try

The other thing I found that really worked for me was homeopathics. If you do a google search of homeopathics for morning sickness you will find there are lots of different types of remedies for different types of nausea. Find the one most similar to what you're experiencing and give the remedy a go. Once again there are no side effects so no harm in giving it a try and the remedies are reasonably priced. I was able to pick up the remedy I needed at the local health store.

Hope that is of some help, and you find something that gives you some relief really soon! It is horrible feeling this yuck all the time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I tried the sea bands they didn't really work for me but I know how you feel and there is no harm in trying. I went to hospital on the drip and it really helped. Its horrible to lay there for hours feeling like that but it does really hydrate you which is important for bubs. I had zofran which really worked miracles for me I am so sorry nothing is working. Mine stopped at 14 weeks although I still vomit once a day now it is definitely managable compared to what I went through in those first few months! Also get some hydralyte iceblocks or drinks, or even normal iceblocks (like zooper doopers) they were pretty much all I could keep down. Best of luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I am 5 weeks today and havnt got morning sickness yet. But Ive read that magnesium as well as b6 can help. I take blackmores executive stress. Im not sure how many mg of b6 yor doc said to have but one executive stress has 25mg and lots of magnesium.
    Good luck abd hope it doesnt last too long

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi All
    Thank you, I have tried the B6 morning sickness tablets (blackmores ones) and they have not helped at all. I guess its just bad luck really. The Zofran did help, however not long afterwards I had severe stomach cramps and lets just say the night was not pleasant, so my dr had said that due to already being dehydrated that I could not take the Zofran, the good didn't outweigh the bad.

Sarelou - I think your right, I just need to bite the bullet and go in on a drip, my dr is happy to admit me, I just hate the thought of it (little bit of a sook when it comes to having a drip in - I'll be honest )

Zoesmama - Did the sleeping tablets make you sleep though? I am doing a lot of that on my own, I am not sure if taking something like that on top would be good for me.

With regards to the magnesium, I know thats used as a muscle relaxant, would that have any risks with regards to miscarriage due to that?

Thanks all for your help again - I appreciate the quick responses. My laptop and TV have officially become my best friend (how sad)

On top of this we had a pre arranged trip to Europe that we leave for in 8 weeks - We were told that becoming pregnant was impossible due to PCOS and having one ovary, so this is all a very big shock to both my husband and myself (very welcomed of course) however it is hard to be excited when I feel so sick, and also with regards to our travel plans, I am just hoping I will be better in time. I am not going to be a happy camper if I am still feeling like this at 18 weeks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    You *should* be better by 18 weeks. I also went through gastro twice in my first 14 weeks so that REALLY topped off my MS! If you can go during the day to the hosp that is best, spend a few hours on the drip and then go home and sleep. I had to go to emergency at 10pm as I was so sick and my DH said ENOUGH we are going so that wasn't fun as we didn't get out till 4am. Day time would be much better. I'm a sook too when it comes to needles

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just looked it up and low levels of magnesium can cause misscarriage. It doesnt mention high levels of 360mg causing it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    The only other drug I know of is Dozile (doxylamine), which is an antihistimine you take 30 minutes before bed, but for me, it has an all day effect on nausea. I don't think it will be enough given the severity of your ms, but anything is worth a try even if it helps slightly. They recommend you take it in conjunction with b6.

You can get it over the counter at chemists.

Just read the previous posts, and dozile is the same drug as restavit, which a previous poster suggested. to answer your question, I have been taking the dozile for most of my pregnancy (I am 29 weeks now) and I don't think it makes me sleepy, even though it's marketed as a sedative.
    Last edited by MsMummy; 27-06-2012 at 13:00.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks guys, I am off to the hospital tomorrow morning (trying to do the right thing!) Fingers crossed it helps. I will have a chat to the midwives while I am there if I get a chance, because surely if anyone knows any secrets of the trade it has to be them. Thank you all for the advice, I will give anything a go, it just seems that I am exhausting my options. Will give you an update to let you know if I think the IV drip works, seems like the last resort at this stage so I am hoping for a positive outcome.

I will give the other ones a try to, will speak to my dr tomorrow to see what he thinks. Thanks again girls