+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    All my great-grandmother's kids have the same middle name, Gerard (patron saint of expectant mothers) even the 2 girls...(8 kids altogether) I think it's very cute.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We have lots of name sharing in our family.
    DS has the same middle name as DH and one of his cousins. His first name is the same as one of his cousin's middle name.
    DD1's middle name was used as her cousin's first name (it was my grandmother's name)
    DD2's first name is similar to her cousin's middle name, and she shares a middle name with her Aunty.
    Your SIL doesn't own the name, and it's not like you've chosen it to copy her. I'd just tell her that you think it's sweet that the cousins will have the same middle name and tell her you're using your Nan's name.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My husband had his grandfathers name as his middle name and we carried it through to my son. My DD's name and middle name are derivations of my two sisters names as they both have passed away so didn't want to use exact names.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My middle name is the same as my mum's middle name, which happens to be both of my grandmothers' first names. I don't see any problem at all with having the same middle names in families, it's not like they get called that name day to day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum and sister have the same middle name, which was also my grandmothers middle name.

Mum is annoyed she didn't give me and my sister the same middle name, but it works for me as DD now has the same middle name as I do and it works much better with her first name than the family name did.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't think it's an issue - its a middle name, not a first name!

Only issue I can see is your MIL mistakenly thinking you named your DD after her!!!!!

Maybe just tell them all straight up, your Nanas name is Patricia and you are using it as a middle name to honour her!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

larazie  (27-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Donald on my Dad's side, has been the middle name of every eldest son (until mine) for 9 generations.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I didnt use the middle name planned for DS1 as my SIL used it first (her DS was born 4 months before mine), mainly because their first names are also quite similar. Thats was just my preference, but if it had been opposite and I had had DS first & used it and she then used it for her DS it wouldnt of bothered me in the slightest...

To me this is different to a name getting passed down thru family (ie - we are using my DHs pops name as our middle name for DS2, but no other grand child, or child in the same generation has used if... if that makes sense)

Sooo, I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's fine. My cousin and I have the same middle name (we're named after our nanna) and I think it's kind of nice we have that connection. My sis and our cousin on our dad's side share a middle name as well (our grandma's name). As PP said, it's not sharing a first name plus it's for family reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In my family there are 5 of us with the same middle name (my aunty, my older cousin, myself and my cousins daughter and my daughter), then there are 4 others with my nieces middle name (my niece, my cousin and a different cousins daughter and our nanna), then, my dad, brother and nephew all have my grandads first name as a middle name which i fully intend to use if i ever have a son as a middle name.

I don't think it's a problem when it's a family name unless you use a very similar first name. I